• Bt
    • Bulldog
    • tiscali
    • Wannadoo
    • Uk online
    • AOl
    • plus net
    • Other (please post the name)

Try PlusNET they are a local firm, who come very highly recommended, at least on here anyway... Only problem is that their unlimited 1 Mb package is £29.99 a month, which is a little bit over your budget, but IMO it would be worth it.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Rich

Only problem is that their unlimited 1 Mb package is £29.99 a month

Not anymore it's not. You can have 2Mb for £21.99 now if your line supports it.

A couple of the guys at work who can't get cable swear by Eclipse:

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/

There seems to be a migration special at the minute:

SPECIAL OFFER: Unhappy with your current broadband provider? Fed up with slow speeds, poor customer service and high prices? No problem! You can now seamlessly switch to Eclipse Internet's popular broadband services with no fuss and completely FREE of charge. In addition, Eclipse will upgrade your telephone line to the fastest speed possible (up to 2Mbps).

Customers switching to FLEX can also benefit from a FREE* month of speed boosting ... allowing you to try out faster speeds and really get the benefit of broadband.

To move to Eclipse for FREE:

Contact your existing service provider and obtain your MAC code, contention ratio and broadband speed

Place your order online

Welcome to Eclipse!

Switching from your current broadband provider to Eclipse takes 5 working days. Subsequent speed upgrades will be completed as soon as possible afterwards. For detailed information about switching to Eclipse, refer to our Knowledge Base

Please note: Eclipse is only able to provide migrations for customers who currently have a self installed ADSL service. It is not possible to migrate customers who have an engineer installed service.

Originally posted by tslogf74

Not anymore it's not. You can have 2Mb for £21.99 now if your line supports it.

not fond of this little messege though...makes me suspicious that if i try for 2mb i could even end up with 512k! or maybe im being paranoid :suspect:

* Broadband Premier comes at the fastest speed possible, up to 2Mb. If 2Mb is not available to you we will provide you with broadband at 1Mb or 512k.

Originally posted by MTheo

not fond of this little messege though...makes me suspicious that if i try for 2mb i could even end up with 512k! or maybe im being paranoid :suspect:

* Broadband Premier comes at the fastest speed possible, up to 2Mb. If 2Mb is not available to you we will provide you with broadband at 1Mb or 512k.

Don't most ISPs have this caveat in their T&Cs ? How do you get an independent assessment of your phone line's capability I wonder.

And this look suspicious too...

"In addition, Eclipse will upgrade your telephone line to the fastest speed possible (up to 2Mbps)."

...how would they do that ? :suspect:

Originally posted by Greybeard

Don't most ISPs have this caveat in their T&Cs ?

I'd be more suspicious if they guaranteed me 2 meg without testing my line first.

I have blueyonder which I have found very good - no outages no need to connect or have a BT line :D

Originally posted by tslogf74

I'd be more suspicious if they guaranteed me 2 meg without testing my line first.

As an old cynic I'd be suspicious if they guaranteed anything, ;) but you only have their word about your line's capacity unless you can get it independently tested.

Can/would BT do this ?

I have blue yonder too. 25 quid a mth. 1mbit connection. Unlimited service. It has been very stable for the last 18 months (scince i've had it ... no problems).

BT are in the process of upgrading all their broadband services to 2Mb (or as fast as your line will go) free of charge.

Made me happy.

im with blueyonder too. very good, get a package so works out nice cost wise.

however my first year with them ends in aug, but they wont let me just carry on for 9 more months, has to be the year!

If you can get cable then go with Blueyonder. I don't know of any ADSL ISP's that offer unlimited 1 meg for under £25 other than Bulldog who are offering 4 meg uncapped for £19.50/month as a special offer until tomorrow (30th April) but heard terrible reports about them.