• Bt
    • Bulldog
    • tiscali
    • Wannadoo
    • Uk online
    • AOl
    • plus net
    • Other (please post the name)

After 2 months of dropped connections and umpteen calls every week to Wanadoo, enough is enough. They are unable to solve the problem. I have had BT line tests, Wanadoo tests and BT engineers round, been upgrgraded to a 2 meg line, (which they tried to charge me twenty quid for) then back down to 1 meg, and still the line keeps dropping the connection.

It has been disconnected anywhere from EVERY 10 seconds to EVERY 10 minutes.

I'd had enough of this last week and rang-up to cancel my account, which I've had since Freeserve were formed in 1997. They refused to cancel saying I owed £27.99 for a months usage. I pointed out that they actually owed ME 2 months for the unusable connection.

After they refund me on the 26th of this month I have to ring back again to try and cancel.

In the meantime, I'm looking around for a better service provider, can anyone recommend a fast line with lots of download capacity for roughly the same price? (I have the house wireless linked using a router to spread the internet around to my kids' bedrooms).

Does anyone have any experiance of Plus Net or Force Nine?

Much appreciated.

ps.

Since announcing my intention to quit, the line now only drops every hour or so, but saturation point has been reached and enough is enough!

Well, I've been very happy for the past 5 years on BtYahoo! Broadband and now BT Broadband.

They send a router/modem free if you buy online and all the network cables for the PC and Xbox to play on Xbox Live!

Never had any problems with connection which is 2Mb and the price aint bad at £26 p/m! It has a restriction of 20Gb p/m but I have never got anywhere near that even if I play on Xbox Live all day, every day! The most I've ever built up is approx 700Mb and that was with heavy gaming use and downloading in a month.

Lots of people hate BT but I've had nothing but an excellent, reliable service from them.

Never had any problems with Zen http://www.zen.co.uk/

PC Pro Best Broadband ISP 2004. They're not the cheapest, but I've never had an issue (or had to use the free dial-up backup service) and there's no download limit at all. One month contract and they'll migrate you for free.

Originally posted by hotphil

Never had any problems with Zen http://www.zen.co.uk/

PC Pro Best Broadband ISP 2004. They're not the cheapest, but I've never had an issue (or had to use the free dial-up backup service) and there's no download limit at all. One month contract and they'll migrate you for free.

I second that, Zen are more expensive than most but worth the extra. I recently moved house and they handled everything 100% right first time. The people on tech support know their stuff too.

They also have a fantastic Usenet server :)

i am thinking of switching from my current isp aol to tesco broadband is the tesco one a good isp if not can somone suggest an alternative it must be unlimited

Originally posted by craigmason

i am thinking of switching from my current isp aol to tesco broadband is the tesco one a good isp if not can somone suggest an alternative it must be unlimited

Telewest Broadband if its in your area :thumbsup:

Blueyonder / Telewest the best? If you like patchy, unreliable service and clueless, disinterested tech support then they're the way to go!

It's not funny to recommend BlueBlunder to people who asked a serious question. Honestly, what has he ever done to you to deserve that?

Craigmason: If you go to http://www.adslguide.org.uk you can compare all the major ISPs side by side based upon the votes of many thousands of users each month.

Don't be fooled!

Originally posted by InvalidUser

Blueyonder / Telewest the best? If you like patchy, unreliable service and clueless, disinterested tech support then they're the way to go!

Not in my experience of 4+ years of continous service with total outages not exceeding 24 hours in that time.

I'm very happy with the 4mbit service here in Sheffield, and I don't use their phones or cable tv.

I've found that I don't need to call technical support, except once, when the TA was on the fritz. And that was promptly sorted for me.

It's only me, but that's my experience of them. I'm not some kind of fan either - I have received exactly the sort of service I require, nothing extra, nothing less.

It would be good if we were all omniscient, but we are not - even if we like to give that impression.

And whoever said AOL are a good ISP wants shooting IMO.. 3 votes for them in the poll, WTF?! :shocked::lol: