• Bt
    • Bulldog
    • tiscali
    • Wannadoo
    • Uk online
    • AOl
    • plus net
    • Other (please post the name)

At the moment I am using BT Yahoo at a cost of £26.00 a month.

As far as I am aware it is ten times faster than dial up.

Not being a big user of the internet, I use very little time surfing and don't download a great deal either.

So what I think is that I may be paying to much for the little time I am on the net and I mainly use the radio2 web site for streaming, and sheffield live also for streaming.

What I want is to save money on something that will suit my needs better and also not affect listening to my favourite radio stations.

Has anyone got any idea's to what is about that could save me splashing out £26 for something I don't really use but not affect my quality listening to the radio.

PlusNET/Force 9 is based here in Sheffield and does 1 Mb Broadband for, allegedly, £15 a month.. Their web site is PlusNET aka Force9

Yes. You say you don't use the net much, so I'm guessing you have a low monthly bandwidth use. Go to:

http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/connect.php

For £14.99 a month, you get broadband at up to 40 times faster than dialup so will stream audio very well. It's cheap because there's a download cap of 2gb a month, but that should be ample if you're a light user (try downloading a bandwidth usage measurer, such as http://www.download.com/Bandwidth-Monitor-Pro/3000-2085_4-10338480.html?tag=lst-0-2 , and measure your bandwidth for a day, multiply it by 30, and you should have a rough idea of your monthly usage). It's also unmetered by 1am and 6am if you're a nightowl.

Originally posted by t020

Yes. You say you don't use the net much, so I'm guessing you have a low monthly bandwidth use. Go to:

http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/connect.php

For £14.99 a month, you get broadband at up to 40 times faster than dialup so will stream audio very well. It's cheap because there's a download cap of 2gb a month, but that should be ample if you're a light user (try downloading a bandwidth usage measurer, such as http://www.download.com/Bandwidth-Monitor-Pro/3000-2085_4-10338480.html?tag=lst-0-2 , and measure your bandwidth for a day, multiply it by 30, and you should have a rough idea of your monthly usage). It's also unmetered by 1am and 6am if you're a nightowl.

I'm a former Freedom2surf dial up customer, and for once I'd agree with t020, their service is good, and for a change their tech support people actually speak English and know their stuff, unlike the likes of AOhell, BT and some of the other "big name" ISPs.

Originally posted by Rich

PlusNET/Force 9 is based here in Sheffield and does 1 Mb Broadband for, allegedly, £15 a month.. Their web site is PlusNET aka Force9

I've used force9 lite for £14.99 a month since xmas. Very pleased with it. If you go above the 1GB cap, they just charge you an extra £1.75 for the second 1GB.:thumbsup:

I'm not certain but I would have thought that streaming would use quite a bit of bandwidth.

Originally posted by Rich

It's now 2Mb for that price

Local call rate for helpline which runs 24hrs :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Strix

It's now 2Mb for that price

Local call rate for helpline which runs 24hrs :thumbsup:

Shame the download limit is only 1GB though. Freedom2surf is also 2mb if your line allows it, and it has a 2GB cap.

Shame the download limit is only 1GB though. Freedom2surf is also 2mb if your line allows it, and it has a 2GB cap.

1 Gig is plenty for me though, I'm considering going with PlusNET when my 12 month contract with Wanadoo runs out later this year.

try metronet, its pay as you go broadband, and the price is capped not the bandwidth. So you won't get a nasty bill if you go overboard.

It's not a cap. You can choose your limit, or set it low and just pay for the excess as Draggletail said earlier

Originally posted by Strix

It's not a cap. You can choose your limit, or set it low and just pay for the excess as Draggletail said earlier

Yes, or just pay the same price for a higher limit in the first place. :loopy:

Think: Plusnet, for 2gb a month, would cost £15.74.

Freedom2surf, for 2gb a month, would cost £14.99.

It's not rocket science.

Of course there are other factors to consider, like reliability, customer service, etc, but despite the bias for Plusnet on this forum due to it being based in Sheffield, most reviews I've read would suggest Freedom2surf is the better ISP.