Tinsley in the 50's and 60's

Hi I see all the pubs have gone now that is a shame they wear the wear everybody g

I don't have many if any at all, but I will check.

Hello there,

is your sister called Susan? I lived on Plumpers Rd and went to Tinsley infants and Junior with her....great days!

Yes she is, I also went to Tinsley Infants but I am 18 months older than her.

Yes she is, I also went to Tinsley Infants but I am 18 months older than her.

Mr.Openshaw was the head at the junior school with Mrs, Hazel, Mr.Savage and 'scary' Miss Kirk. Susan was very 'bold' as a 10yr old...she answered adults back! Unheard of then! Hope she's doing well and enjoying life.

Yes I remember Openshaw, I was also caned a few times by Kirk, She has always been Bold, still is. She is on Facebook if you want to get in touch, I am sure she will be glad to hear from you. look for Susan Axelby.

Lived in Tinsley until 1972, spent many an happy hour on the 'rec'. Remember the old Plumpers pub before it and and lot of the local houses were knocked down. My grandmother lived on Plumpers road before it was demolished, she used to tell me of the times she baby-sat Gordon Banks (the ex england goalkeeper).

Had great fun when the viaduct was built, karting and playing football in the underpass, lots to explore - like the time me, Paul Radford and Martin Jarvis got inside the lower deck and went from one end to the other. Luckily we found a torch near the entrance as it was needed.

I remember quite a few of the names mentioned in this post. Happy days!!

Eyup Johnsworld, I lived on Plumpers road as did my mother and grandparents before me. What was your grandma's name?

I recognised the 2 boys names tou mentioned in your quote, I think they went to the Catholic school, but they used to 'hang out' on t'rec....great days!

Hi my mum was born in tinsley in 1947 her name was Sylvia Jones. We lived in the house next door to what is now tinsley junior school number 4 newburn drive. Do you remember her?

Edited by Saz1979
Spelling mistake

My wifes grandfather was Harry Eccles. He had a company that hired steam rollers and thresher machines. He ran his business from Sheffield road, across the road from Dundas road. His company was called Eccles and co. The houses are long gone now but I have a cople of photos of his engines.