Tinsley in the 50's and 60's

On Sheffield Road was the Chemist (bottom of Town street), hardware shop, barbers, post office, Melias - the foodshop. Further down on canal side was a glazing merchant.

Dundas road, was a general shop - sweets & foodstuff, it closed and became a chippy.

Raby street - was a cafe towards the bottom, further up was a veg shop and at the top a hardware shop one side with a sweetshop the other.

At Highgate there was Knights' foodstore.

On St Lawrence road was a paper shop, where, if it was Sunday afternoon and closed, the newspapers were left outside the shop and you took what you required and put the money through the letterbox.

All these were long before the shopping precinct was built on Bawtry road.

There was also the Co-Op, Avrils haberdashery, round corner from Co-Op was the butchers, further down St Lawrence Road was Knowles fresh fish shop and Violets shop on other corner!

I can go back a bit further I was born on the "Huts" which were on Shepcote Lane in 1936 and moved to Town St. We lived opposite Shaws Greengrocers and Benetts chip shop. I went to Tinsley School. (Mr Carlisle headteacher) I think our best place to play apart from the rec. was down the canal bank playing on the barges and walking over the locks, didnt think about the dangers because I coudn't swim. I have just made contact with my childhood friend after losing contact for almost 60 years. Anybody remember Hadfields and Darwins Galas I think all Tinsley turned out on these days. Going to Haywards Farm with a jug to fetch a pint of milk (never got home with a full pint kept stopping for a drink) I moved before the viaduct was built so all the shops were still on the front when I left, as was the Tinsley Picture House. Happy memories

HI Kay 1, my Dad was born in tinsley Huts, I wonder did you evercome across Thomas and Mary Ellen Wood or their Kids Ernest, Billy and a few others?

Cheers

John Wood

HI Kay 1, my Dad was born in tinsley Huts, I wonder did you evercome across Thomas and Mary Ellen Wood or their Kids Ernest, Billy and a few others?

Cheers

John Wood

Did they move into Tinsley when the huts were demolished? I cant bring the names to mind but I did live in Tinsley until about 1957

Used to knock about with some girls from Dundas Road area during the early 70's, think their surname was Otter? Does it ring a bell with anyone?

Yes Kay am sure they did, when my Dad married my Mum (Ernest and Doris) they lived at 124 Dundas Rd, where I was born and my dad was disabled had a three wheeled electric car.

Yes Kay am sure they did, when my Dad married my Mum (Ernest and Doris) they lived at 124 Dundas Rd, where I was born and my dad was disabled had a three wheeled electric car.

I can remember a disabled man in a electric car that lived on Dundas Rd. but he was older than me (not been able to say that for a few years) so would you have been one of the younger children. I do have a younger brother Alan (Plant) does that ring any bells with you? We also had the Saxelbys who lived next door to us.

We lived at 6 Dundas Road for a while, my friend Elizabeth Drabble lived opposite us. I had some friends who lived at 118, twins Mavis & Janet Booth, they had an older sister Rita.

Was brought up at 27 Ferrars Rd and about 1968 moved to Oversley St across from Jennisons.As a kid always thought Brinny was the promised land When I got married I moved there but still came back to The Duck and the TWIL club.Sold up and came home onto Maplebeck.

him8,do you remember the henshaws,johnsons.gordon gibson,john tongue?

What about little mass (stuart mason) he was a bit of a lad wern't he ?

I remember Gordon Gibson, he lived on Sheffield Road. We used to hang around together for a while. Also remember he had a younger brother, can't remember his name.