Tinsley in the 50's and 60's

I lived in Tinsley up to 1961. 1954 i went in the services.

I lived on Ferrars rd. as did Ken Dawson D Smyth and others.

Both sets of my grandparents lived in Tinsley, went to visit them every weekend from school (mid 60's). The Smiths (Eric and Edith) lived on Norbourgh Road and the Thompsons (Howard and Emily) lived in a yard with Mrs Crombie on St Lawrence Road behind the corner shop. Tinsley was a heavy industry area with glass windows stained bright orange because of fumes from the steelworks. It was almost exclusively white working class people who lived there and all were very friendly. Amazing how things change.

I lived in Tinsley in the 50s/60s - Me and my mum and dad lived on Dundas Road, the top end near Town Street, then we moved to Newburn Road and we were rehoused in 1965 for the building of the new motorway intersection. My dad worked at Darwins and my mum worked at British Steel Offices on Shepcote Lane. My dad took me walks down Lock Lane by the canal and over the Halfpenny Bridge and we went for picnics on Hadfields Sports Ground on Bawtry Road - the swings, roundabout and tennis courts in the 'rec' were good too!

I also worked at Darwins from 51 to 62. my dad worked in the magnet dept.

I was working at Tinsley wire when the new motorway was built.

i will ask my grandparents they lived on dundas road until a few years ago,they lived at number 88 horace and peggy bluff...they had 4 children richar,ian,stuart and elaine born between 57 and 63 i do believe.

Hi antuk just like to no how elaine is used to see her at a youth club .must be the 70`s last time we met.:roll:

Hi antuk just like to no how elaine is used to see her at a youth club .must be the 70`s last time we met.:roll:

she's fine as far as i know she lives down in somerst so don't see her much but yeah she is married with 2 lads.

she's fine as far as i know she lives down in somerst so don't see her much but yeah she is married with 2 lads.

thanks antuk nice girl elaine :)

I was bombed out of Greaseborough road December 15th 1940. The street was obliterated by the building of the M1 I believe. We then went to live on Plumpers road, where the cellar flooded as the result of another german bomb. Finally we gave up and moved to Abbeydale. But I still went to school in Tinsley till I got to Nether Edge Grammar

i used to go to the cinema at the side of the canal near to the old plumpers pub before the area was knocked down. the cinema was where the end of the bridge meets the m1 junction rounabout on the lower level

Lived in Tinsley until 1972, spent many an happy hour on the 'rec'. Remember the old Plumpers pub before it and and lot of the local houses were knocked down. My grandmother lived on Plumpers road before it was demolished, she used to tell me of the times she baby-sat Gordon Banks (the ex england goalkeeper).

Had great fun when the viaduct was built, karting and playing football in the underpass, lots to explore - like the time me, Paul Radford and Martin Jarvis got inside the lower deck and went from one end to the other. Luckily we found a torch near the entrance as it was needed.

I remember quite a few of the names mentioned in this post. Happy days!!

Does anyone remember any the shops on 'the front'? I remember Ryves chemist on the end next to Town Street, the Co-Op on the other end next to Bawtry Road plus Tinsley Post Office, Home Farm Products, Steels bakers, Mr Eales paper shop, Walters fish & chip shop, the front of the Methodist Chapel, a sweet shop, a haberdashery shop, an ironmongers and Hanbys Furniture shop.