Historic interest regarding Graves Park

Historic interest regarding Graves Park

MR. WILLIAM HOLLINGWORTH

NORTON ESTATE KEEPER’S DEATH (1928)

“The funeral of Mr. William Hollingworth, of Meadow Head Lodge, Sheffield, who died on Thursday at the age of 76 and who was for nearly 50 years a servant on the Norton Hall Estate took place at the Abbey Lane Cemetery, Sheffield, yesterday.

As woodman and keeper, Mr. Hollingworth resided in the lodge at Meadow Head for over 50 years, and during the early part of that time he planted thousands of trees and shrubs which now beautify Graves Park.

There was a large number of mourners. Mr. E. Hunstone represented the old tenants of Norton Hall estate, and Mr. and Mrs. M. Allen the employees. The bearers were all men who at some time had been engaged on the Norton Hall estate."

The above tribute paid by the " Sheffield Daily Telegraph," in its issue of March 13th, 1928, is but meagre and brief and conveys to the reader very little of the life of a man to whom the title of " Nature's Gentleman " was no misnomer.

Born at Walton, Chesterfield, Mr. Hollingworth was early in “harness" at Walton Lodge, at which place, along with others, he acquired the woodman's art.

On August 8th, 1878, he moved into the service of Mr. Charles Cammel at Norton Hall, Sheffield, and upon this estate he remained until his death. During his employment thereon, the changes were many, and the residence itself had five changes of ownership. After the death of Mr. Cammel the Hall stood empty for five years and was then purchased by Mr. Sudbury, whom it is declared, often announced the fact that this was the seventh estate he owned, and third largest in size. Later the ownership again changed, this time to Mr. Goodliffe, who held it for nine years. Mr. Hollingworth found this one of his employers the hardest to get on with, and after hearing of the man's eccentricities, it is a tribute to Mr. Hollingworth that he still retained his job at the end of the nine years.

The Hall then became the property of Col. B. C. Firth, and it is only just to say that of employers, Mr. Firth proved the most considerate and gentlemanly of all. Never at any time did Mr. Hollingworth tire of praising the many kindnesses shown him by them, and to the end of his life he strove to fulfil every obligation which he considered was due to his empIoyer.

Approximately forty years ago, the trees which are now known as Waterfall Wood (stretching almost front the foot of Cobnar Road, right up the valley to the lakes) were planted by Mr. Hollingworth with the assistance of two other men.

Visitors will notice that the majority of the trees are Sycamore, and it was only the foresight (then declared as obstinacy) of Mr. Hollingworth that caused this type of tree to be planted. His views were opposed by his assistants and others, who suggested Larch and Pine trees. Profiting by previous experience and the craftsman's knowledge, Mr. Hollingworth declared emphatically that with the growth of works in Sheffield and the consequent increase in smoke, Larch and other similar trees would not develop and would probably remain stunted or die off. The few that were planted afford ample proof and substantiation of his word. Reference may also be made to the Beech trees directly opposite the Meadow Field Brickyard. All are stunted and shrivelled through constantly being swept by smoke from the yard.

Running athwart the Norton Estate is the old London Coach Road. It commences at Bole Hill farm (top of Cobnar Road-late Bole Hill) and proceeding in a south-westerly direction through the farmyard, passes over a field (now part of Graves Park) and going steadily downhill, enters a deep hollow (quarried after the road was closed). Entering the wood the lowest part of the hollow is reached at a little stone bridge spanning the stream. From there in a steady climb the road is well defined and old stone posts may be seen at either side. The top of the incline brings us to that which is now known as Charles Ashmore Road, but which was originally the Carriage Drive to Norton Hall. Crossing the road, or drive, it enters a narrow plantation. These trees were planted about the same time as those in Waterfall Wood, and it is interesting to note that public roads or rights were, at that time, if not recognised, at least borne in mind. In planting the trees Mr. Hollingworth was ordered to leave a clear space as near as possible to the original width of the road. Crossing the plantation the road ends abruptly against a stone wall. Over the other side are gardens, still in use, and these in turn join up to what was probably a village green, in the centre of which stands a pump. Here it is joined by Cavil Lane (Little Norton Lane). At the junction of the two roads stands an old low-roofed cottage with outbuilding attached. This, in years gone by, was a Public House, and in all probability a calling place for the Coach and where a change of horses could be obtained.

For many years during Mr. Hollingworth's life the rights of the public were demonstrated on the same date, every year, by some unknown person. Mr. Hollingworth told me that year by year a man crossed the estate via the London Road and on reaching the garden, used to drop straight over the wall into a cucumber frame which lay on the opposite side of the wall in the garden, but was yet in the road. One can only conjecture the chagrin of the garden owner at that time.

Now, of course, the estate has become known as Graves Park, and the old road is partially opened to the public, and no doubt eventually the whole will be cleared of obstructions.

Of the few hobbies, he claimed to have, shooting was the prime favourite with Mr. Hollingworth, and at this he excelled. I can affirm this personally, for as a mischievous youngster I tested his marksmanship and for a long time carried marks on my leg from the accuracy of his shooting. Many times since have we laughed over the incident and he demonstrated the filling of the cartridges he was wont to use for that purpose. They were charged with hard wheat.

Unlike many men of his calling, apart from a stoop caused by years of axe-wielding, age did not print itself strongly upon him. Well over six feet in height. with a thick crown of auburn hair and short beard of like nature, he carried himself with the air of a well-bred and well-spoken gentleman, which indeed he was, and few would have guessed his seventy-six years. Courageous, with an honesty and sincerity of purpose which anyone might envy, he was liked and admired by all. One had but to be with him only a few moments to instinctively feel that here was a man in whom trust could be placed implicitly. By his death Norton lost a personality, and Nature a gentleman.

R. W. Bourne.

Taken from Onward Rambling Club (Sheffield) booklet 1929-30.

Does anyone have any further information or handbooks regarding this rambling club?

I have a copy of the Onward Rambling Club Members Handbook for 1929-30 which contains the article about Mr William Hollingworth who was my Great grandfather

I have a copy of the two previous handbooks of the Onward Rambling Club that my father and his two older sisters and my future uncle belonged to. Mr Womersley was the person who, obviously was a keen photographer as most of the photos were his, one contains my father at the front of a large group including his relatives.

I have two previous handbooks, what did you want to know about the club?

I have two previous handbooks, what did you want to know about the club?
Sadly, in the intervening period, Albert T Smith has passed away. :(

very interesting reading, thank you for sharing this, does anyone have any old photos they can put up of this area, i would like to see what jordanthorpe and norton looked liked before the houses were built.

very interesting reading, thank you for sharing this, does anyone have any old photos they can put up of this area, i would like to see what jordanthorpe and norton looked liked before the houses were built.

Try picturesheffield (http://www.picturesheffield.com/database.html). Selecting Jordanthorpe from the search option gives some aerial shots from just after the first world war, when the area was "Coal Aston aerodrome" and it's all fields.

i wonder if mr hollingworth would have none my father mr harry hallas he worked in graves park as dept head grounds man ,and lived in bole hill farm and graves park lodge .

he unfortunately died in 1978 ,but my sister and friends spent many happy hours in the park in our child hood

Some of the happiest days of my childhood were spent in Graves Park in the 1960's. Fishing in the pristine ponds using a net. Playing footie with the whole grassed area to play in. Throwing gliders without some nutter's Staffie chewing it. Trying to climb the lone, large tree that still stands just across from the cafe. Calling in at the cafe for a 99 when the staff were respectful. Grovelling in the woods and collecting insects down by Cobnar. Practically litter-free, definitely yob-free, and a veritable wonderland. Take me back to then.:)

They were just farmers fields, with the Cricket ground at the junction, No schools either. There was no houses been Four lane ends now a roundabout till you got to dronfield, nor to Coal Aston.

Some of the happiest days of my childhood were spent in Graves Park in the 1960's. Fishing in the pristine ponds using a net. Playing footie with the whole grassed area to play in. Throwing gliders without some nutter's Staffie chewing it. Trying to climb the lone, large tree that still stands just across from the cafe. Calling in at the cafe for a 99 when the staff were respectful. Grovelling in the woods and collecting insects down by Cobnar. Practically litter-free, definitely yob-free, and a veritable wonderland. Take me back to then.:)

Can l come with you Saxon, since the age of 4 when l was allowed to go out with a friend alone, we just about lived in

Graves Park. That would be 1948 to about 1960.

In 1969I was too ill to go to school so for several months twice a week I had a home tutor. At the time I was living in Batemoor and the home tutor, Mrs Valardy often took me to Graves Park on nature walks where I collected leaves and drew pictures of the bugs I saw. She also took me out in the Peak district and to visit stately homes out there. I also remember in about 1973 doing a sponsored night walk that started in Graves park. The first time I ever saw bats was near the boating lake. In the summer I used to walk through Graves Park down to the library in Woodseats. Ahh the memories come flooding back.