Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

..... but because of multiple car owners who live in houses with no parking facilities. Next door to her is a 4 car family - mum, dad and 2 teenagers with a car each.

No wonder I can never get parked...!

If that scheme goes through - which no doubt it will as it sounds like a very good money spinner for the council - lets face it, it will be rubber stamped no matter how many people object - it will be an absolute disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demand a referendum. As has been pointed out it needs only one resident of a street to ask to be included in the scheme and it's in the bag. Get a petition going and if the majority of your neighbours in the street are against the scheme, lobby your local Councillors.

Make democracy work !

Are you saying that I - as a resident - will be charged £36 for a parking permit so that I can park outside my own house - which at the moment I can do for free?

Why on earth should I be required to pay £36 for the right to park outside my own house? That is an absolute disgrace that the residents have to pay for a season ticket to park where they live!!!!

I live on one of the roads mentioned and - as has already been said - other than match day, there is never a problem to park. It's got no hospital/university nearby to justify it.

It's worse than that - you get no right to park near your house, just a permit to park somewhere within the confines of the zone. And as the roads within the zone will be marked out to vastly reduce the number of spaces available, you'll often end up having to park a considerable distance from your house. Not to mention the hassle of having to pay for visitors permits should you have a visitor. And forget about having a permit for a second car if you own one.

Make no mistake, these so-called Residents' Parking Schemes are for anyone but residents! They are just an extra tax and inconvenience for all.

It's worse than that - you get no right to park near your house, just a permit to park somewhere within the confines of the zone. And as the roads within the zone will be marked out to vastly reduce the number of spaces available, you'll often end up having to park a considerable distance from your house. Not to mention the hassle of having to pay for visitors permits should you have a visitor. And forget about having a permit for a second car if you own one.

Make no mistake, these so-called Residents' Parking Schemes are for anyone but residents! They are just an extra tax and inconvenience for all.

Sounds absolutely true!!!!! I've never complained about speed cameras etc - the way some do (them being more about revenue than speed reduction) - but this is absolutely objectionable!!!!! If it does get the green light - I certainly will get involved in the 'anti' campaign!!!!

Totally agree. Residents parking schemes do NOT solve a problem. They push the problem to other areas. This extract from the council's website is laughable.

From the Councils report on the Broomhall scheme:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/............../residents-parking-zones

3. CURRENT PERMIT SCHEME DEVELOPMENT

3.1. The first zone of Phase 1 – Broomhall is now operational. The works include not only parking measures and waiting restrictions, but also minor traffic management changes that have been introduced to ease access problems and make improvements for all road users. The public reaction has been very positive, both to the traffic management measures and freeing up parking spaces for residents, businesses and visitors to the area. Responses from members of the public and Community Groups in adjacent areas such as Broomhill indicate that long-stay parking has been displaced into these areas, which has worsened the situation for them. The aim is to review the Broomhall scheme once the effect of the Broomhill scheme is known.

Hmmmm.....

The public reaction has been very positive, both to the traffic management measures and freeing up parking spaces for residents, businesses and visitors to the area.

So the public reaction has been very postive has it?

Well I would argue that:

Responses from members of the public and Community Groups in adjacent areas such as Broomhill indicate that long-stay parking has been displaced into these areas, which has worsened the situation for them.

actually means "The public reaction has been very negative". Typical weasel worded report.

Residents parking schemes don't work. They help a small minority of people and shove the problem out to other areas, increasing problems for the larger majority. However, what these parking schemes are guaranteed to do is to get more money for the local councils.

Another factor is local businesses. Although there are posts here that suggest that businesses in zoned areas weren't affected, I've stopped shopping in them. If the same happens in Hillsborough the effect could push more businesses over the edge.

Great idea, I think they should do it all over the city, i'm fed up of getting home to find the outside of my house has cars parked outside, mainly from people who have 2 cars or work vans!! Permit parking would put an end to this..

I fear you're in for a bit of a shock. You'll pay for a permit - but a permit does *not* get you a space. Just the right to park in it *if* a space is available. If these schemes guaranteed a space, then there may be some merit in them, but Sheffield's simply don't.

I think your assertion of people parking a mile from their homes is a gross exageration. I have heard that very occasionally people might have to park on the next street, but that's all. No-one can be guaranteed a space outside their house or on their street. This is a problem in areas with terraced housing as car ownership increases.

I am not exagerating. Some areas may be different, but at Netherthorpe it was often impossible to park on any nearby streets. I did ring Parking services several times and they did come and ticket illegally parked cars. However, the same cars would park in our places again and again.

Until Parking Services get the powers to tow offending cars away, it is the residents who will continue to suffer.

I saw the surveyors on our street at about 5pm yesterday. There is no problem with commuters on our street, it gets more difficult to park after about 5.30 due to residents coming home from work, but it is much easier to find a parking space if we come home earlier.

If the council enforce restrictions on us, it will presumably mean there will be less places to park until 6pm or 6.30pm when the restrictions lapse, and then we will have to go and drive our cars around from 8am or whenever the restrictions come in again in the morning.

One interesting thing though I've just seen on the Sharrow scheme - 'Health Workers' only have to pay £5 year! What kind of lunacy is that? Making a concession for someone based on their profession? I think I'll be finding out what the minimum is to be considered a 'Health Worker' - if I'm going to have to pay to park on my street, I'd rather only pay £5/year...

I am not exagerating. Some areas may be different, but at Netherthorpe it was often impossible to park on any nearby streets. I did ring Parking services several times and they did come and ticket illegally parked cars. However, the same cars would park in our places again and again.

Until Parking Services get the powers to tow offending cars away, it is the residents who will continue to suffer.

Sorry, I don't believe that the wasn't an available legal parking space within 1 mile of your street. That covers a very big area.

Your area is small and there are particular problems. Other areas are quite different.

I appreciate your point on the tow away, but the Council don't do it, so it's not an option at the moment. I can't imagine the new administration wanting to introduce something as stong as that.