Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

As I was walking to work today along Langsett Rd (next to Morrisons/Hillsborough barracks) I noticed the parking laybys were empty, apart from one car. Even now, in the early afternoon (peak shopping time) there are only three cars there.

It never used to be like that. Then I realised why, the Hillsborough Parking Permit scheme. The only car parked in the bays at 9.00AM had a resident`s parking permit on it......

All the cars who used to park in these bays and (one assumes) shop in Hillsborough, must be either parking just beyond the limits of the scheme, or in Morrisons car park, or they`ve gone to out of town shopping centres like Meadowhall.

This begs a few questions :

Could someone remind me why they introduced a parking permit scheme in Hillsborough ?

How many of the residents were actually in favour of it when they consulted a few years back ?

Of the residents who originally said they were in favour of it, how many would have said that if they`d known the cost would have gone up from £10 to £36 within 2 years ?

Does anyone know when the findings from this recent review will be made public by the council?

How much did they council make from parking tickets last year ?

Why don't you ask them?

I'm sure they will be happy to tell you.

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 09:28 ----------

Does anyone know when the findings from this recent review will be made public by the council?

See item 11 on the downloads at the bottom of this page: http://meetings.sheffield.gov.uk/council-meetings/cabinet-highways-committee/agendas-2013/agenda-14th-february-2013

Why don't you ask them?

I thought you would have a rough idea .

Across Broomhill, Sharrow, Groves and Highfields, the council made £869,241 in the financial year 2011-2012.

The majority was made in the Broomhill and Sharrow areas.

Why don't you ask them?

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 09:28 ----------

See item 11 on the downloads at the bottom of this page: http://meetings.sheffield.gov.uk/council-meetings/cabinet-highways-committee/agendas-2013/agenda-14th-february-2013

That only mentions that Parkside and Winster are going to be reviewed - they now have and all responses needed to be back by 3rd April / so should we expect to see results soon?

That only mentions that Parkside and Winster are going to be reviewed - they now have and all responses needed to be back by 3rd April / so should we expect to see results soon?

Try reading the actual report, it's quite detailed.

Try reading the actual report, it's quite detailed.

Hmm. It does make interesting reading. How about this bit:

4.17 A small number of respondents did make suggestions to ‘scrap the scheme

completely’ and a consistent number also expressed their anger at the

decision to increase the price of permits. The scheme brief / scope did

indicate that these issues would not be part of the review, however due to

the number of specific comments received relating to these issues it was

considered worthwhile documenting these views within the report.

So in other words, contrary to what Planner1 has claimed in the past, even if everybody had responded by saying they wanted the scheme scrapped altogether, this was never an option.

And then there's 4.18:

"A number of respondents living close to Hillsborough park indicated that the

balance of parking had changed since charges were introduced on car

parks in Hillsborough Park. It is therefore proposed to investigate these

issues at the same time the list of requests are looked at in appendix ‘E’. It

is also proposed to undertake further consultation on both Parkside Road

and Winster Road as detailed in the review brief, reporting the results and

recommendations to a future meeting of Cabinet Highways Committee."

It didn't take a genius to work out that introducing parking charges in the park's carpark would have a knock on effect on nearby residents. So now they're finding it more difficult to park on the street, and the council's response? Ask them if they want a permit zone (one which they felt they'd rather not have before, one which they'll have to cough up for the privilege). Forced between a rock and a hard place I'd say.

And then there's 4.18:

"A number of respondents living close to Hillsborough park indicated that the

balance of parking had changed since charges were introduced on car

parks in Hillsborough Park. It is therefore proposed to investigate these

issues at the same time the list of requests are looked at in appendix ‘E’. It

is also proposed to undertake further consultation on both Parkside Road

and Winster Road as detailed in the review brief, reporting the results and

recommendations to a future meeting of Cabinet Highways Committee."

It didn't take a genius to work out that introducing parking charges in the park's carpark would have a knock on effect on nearby residents. So now they're finding it more difficult to park on the street, and the council's response? Ask them if they want a permit zone (one which they felt they'd rather not have before, one which they'll have to cough up for the privilege). Forced between a rock and a hard place I'd say.

This is just it though, we live on Winster and haven't seen the suggested detrimental effects suggested.

I had read the report, and nowhere does it say when the results of Parkside Road area review will be published. That's what I was interested in - that report only mentions that a review of the area will be conducted. It was and we submitted by 3rd April. So when should we find out if the council lies are going to screw us?

I'm serious about setting up a video camera on the road for a week so the council can see all the empty space on our road during working hours should they need to. It's ludicrous to suggest that our road has daytime parking issues - it clearly does not.

I love it - when the council want to disregard something the phrase "a small number" is used - if they want to introduce more charges, then no indication of the nuber is given e.g. "a number of respondents"

Q: Why can't they give the raw data?

A: Because then their decisions could be challenged more easily!

This is just it though, we live on Winster and haven't seen the suggested detrimental effects suggested.

I had read the report, and nowhere does it say when the results of Parkside Road area review will be published. That's what I was interested in - that report only mentions that a review of the area will be conducted. It was and we submitted by 3rd April. So when should we find out if the council lies are going to screw us?

I'm serious about setting up a video camera on the road for a week so the council can see all the empty space on our road during working hours should they need to. It's ludicrous to suggest that our road has daytime parking issues - it clearly does not.

I'm glad the loss of free parking opposite hasn't had a detrimental effect for you :) There's not a lot of evening parking where you are, I wondered if people used to use the Park car park if they couldn't get a space on the road at night. I really hope they don't enforce the scheme on you. The report does seem to take account that evenings are the main problem times in a lot of areas, so hopefully they'll see that a scheme won't help.

All in all, the equation seems to go something like:

Localised problems = complaints = restrictions = knock-on problems = further restrictions = more problems = ever-increasing swaithes of consultations and restictions.

All at huge cost. Wonder how many man hours has gone into all of this over the last few years?