Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

***Be wary, he might just be watching houses. A high-vis jacket and a clipboard is one of the oldest tricks in the book for people up to no good.

PEOPLE SHOULD REALLY TAKE NOTE OF THIS!

Our 'local burglar' can regularly be seen wearing a high-vis jacket and looking as if he has just come from the pit.

And they ALWAYS sh*t in their own bed. It is a myth that people travel from other cities to rob. When I worked for Victim support I used to mark a map where I had worked. I also sat on the Crime Prevention Panel and happened to mention to one of the PO's that I appeared to be working in a circle. He later told me that he had taken that back to CID who pinpointed a prolific burglar in the centre of my circle, and when they visited him recovered thousands of pounds worth of stuff?

So please beware.

Also, the prime time for burglars, is 8.30 - 9.30am when parents take the kids to school and some set off for work. 3 - 4.30 in the afternoon and 4am. That doesn't mean they don't burgle at other times, because they are generally opportunists... but one thing to remember is they don't wear striped shirts and masks... they look quite normal and aim to fit in.

If you see anything at all that makes your hair tingle on the back of your neck, you can be more or less sure there's something wrong, so write it down, or take a photograph and ring 101. They won't mind if your hunch is wrong, and it could save someone a lot of heartache.

PEOPLE SHOULD REALLY TAKE NOTE OF THIS!

Our 'local burglar' can regularly be seen wearing a high-vis jacket and looking as if he has just come from the pit.

And they ALWAYS sh*t in their own bed. It is a myth that people travel from other cities to rob. When I worked for Victim support I used to mark a map where I had worked. I also sat on the Crime Prevention Panel and happened to mention to one of the PO's that I appeared to be working in a circle. He later told me that he had taken that back to CID who pinpointed a prolific burglar in the centre of my circle, and when they visited him recovered thousands of pounds worth of stuff?

So please beware.

Also, the prime time for burglars, is 8.30 - 9.30am when parents take the kids to school and some set off for work. 3 - 4.30 in the afternoon and 4am. That doesn't mean they don't burgle at other times, because they are generally opportunists... but one thing to remember is they don't wear striped shirts and masks... they look quite normal and aim to fit in.

If you see anything at all that makes your hair tingle on the back of your neck, you can be more or less sure there's something wrong, so write it down, or take a photograph and ring 101. They won't mind if your hunch is wrong, and it could save someone a lot of heartache.

Actually I have to disagree with your last statement-they don't get back to you and you end up feeling like you are being a nuisance

Yeah I know... mostly the council.

He's pretty conspicuous and that was part of the reason for asking what he's up to. I think he genuinely is doing a parking survey. I can't think how the sheets of partial reg numbers will be of that much use to him otherwise. He's no way of telling who lives where. I'm rarely parked outside my house and if he wanted to put together a shopping list for stealing cars he's in the wrong area.

I saw a man yesterday in your street, hi viz jacket, taking down numbers, and I immediately thought it was related to parking. My car was parked there all day because I was at my daughter's house. So that's one extra that isn't normally there. :D

There are never any parking problems when I visit during the day, but evenings are a completely different matter. DD says she'd like a permit scheme that starts at 6pm! There would be no logical reason to have permits there during the day.

There are never any parking problems when I visit during the day, but evenings are a completely different matter. DD says she'd like a permit scheme that starts at 6pm! There would be no logical reason to have permits there during the day.

That hasn't stopped the council yet. What you're saying is what everybody knows to be the truth: any parking problems are during the evening when residents get home from work, and are simply the result of residents having too many cars for the available street space.

That hasn't stopped the council yet. What you're saying is what everybody knows to be the truth: any parking problems are during the evening when residents get home from work, and are simply the result of residents having too many cars for the available street space.

On many streets that's exactly what its like. However, there used to be all day parking problems on some of the really central streets, like Hawksley, Taplin and Hillsborough Rds with commuters parking all day. Now with the two hour limit there is the opportunity to drive in during the day, and find a parking space. It was residents from those (and similar) streets who asked about permits several years ago, at meetings of the since defunct Residents' Association.

We had a recent review for the Parkside Road area - had to be returned by the 3rd April. We completed and made comments to similar effect as last time -

No guarantee of a space, so paying for the same situation as we already have.

Only issues on our road are in the evening when people return from work and park selfishly in the space available.

Bays will limit the amount of space to park on the road.

Negative impact on demand and price in relation to an already strugglin property market.

Also our belief that they take a "no response" to be in favour of a scheme - I pointed out that, on our stretch of 7 terraces we are currently the only house with 1 car. Each of the other 6 have 0 cars to them - those people are less likely to respond because it won't have any effect on them. How does that indicate that those people are in favour of the scheme?

I also question the statement on the review which read something along the lines of "some residents in the area have requested inclusion" - absolute poppycock! If you drive on our road and those surrounding during the day you will see nothing but empty space available to park in. The only times when parking is at a premium is overnight and from 1PM on matchdays - but even that has improved of late.

I want to know if I'm within my rights to request who in the area has requested this - if it were to be implemented. I'd like to see proof and wonder where myself and other residents would stand if the council could be brought to court on the matter. I don't trust or believe their intentions one jot.

Also, can anyone point me to anywhere on the council website that updates on the review process and gives an idea on timelines for discussions, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Just out of interest, did you actually ask specifically for the scheme to be scrapped?

Just out of interest, did you actually ask specifically for the scheme to be scrapped?

I requested it not be implemented on our road or the "parkside road" area. I can't really comment on the validity of it on roads which I don't reside - but I certainly would be shocked if anyone on Parkside or Winster has requested this for daytime hours.

Also our belief that they take a "no response" to be in favour of a scheme - I pointed out that, on our stretch of 7 terraces we are currently the only house with 1 car. Each of the other 6 have 0 cars to them - those people are less likely to respond because it won't have any effect on them. How does that indicate that those people are in favour of the scheme?

I also question the statement on the review which read something along the lines of "some residents in the area have requested inclusion" - absolute poppycock! If you drive on our road and those surrounding during the day you will see nothing but empty space available to park in. The only times when parking is at a premium is overnight and from 1PM on matchdays - but even that has improved of late.

I want to know if I'm within my rights to request who in the area has requested this - if it were to be implemented. I'd like to see proof and wonder where myself and other residents would stand if the council could be brought to court on the matter. I don't trust or believe their intentions one jot.

Also, can anyone point me to anywhere on the council website that updates on the review process and gives an idea on timelines for discussions, etc?

Thanks in advance.

The Council could not give you details of who had asked for something. They can't provide information to you that would identify an individual.

I can assure you that they do not treat no-responses as anything other than a no-response.

I think that something you should bear in mind is that people might say one thing to you and something entirely different in a written response to the Council. I have seen this many times.

If you want an update on how things are progressing with the review work, I can put you in touch with the officer who is leading on it. PM me if you want this.

My dad lives on one of the roads where permits are coming in and it's an absolute joke. I only struggle to park there on a match day, there is no justification for bringing in these permits at all apart from to make money. No, you can't often park directly outside your house, but you can easily get a space on the street. At the end of the day everyone knew the parking situation when they moved there. This is all going to drive business away from hillsborough. I never stop there as I know I'll have to pay for parking, I call in at shops where I can park free and I'm probably not the only one.

The Council could not give you details of who had asked for something. They can't provide information to you that would identify an individual.

I can assure you that they do not treat no-responses as anything other than a no-response.

I think that something you should bear in mind is that people might say one thing to you and something entirely different in a written response to the Council. I have seen this many times.

If you want an update on how things are progressing with the review work, I can put you in touch with the officer who is leading on it. PM me if you want this.

As you may have seen from my previous posts on this subject, I understand the need for permits in the central part of Hillsborough, that was where the initial residents' requests came from. However, as lots of people who filled in questionnaires have said, on the streets on the periphery the problems aren't due to commuters during the day, but in the evenings when everyone is home.

Other local authorities have implemented 24 hour parking schemes and in some areas that are heavily overparked, limited the number of residents' passes. Have you any idea why that couldn't have been done in Hillsborough in streets where night time parking is the main problem? It isn't an issue for me personally, our street has no parking problems except on match days, and that's an accepted part of living here.

As you may have seen from my previous posts on this subject, I understand the need for permits in the central part of Hillsborough, that was where the initial residents' requests came from. However, as lots of people who filled in questionnaires have said, on the streets on the periphery the problems aren't due to commuters during the day, but in the evenings when everyone is home.

Other local authorities have implemented 24 hour parking schemes and in some areas that are heavily overparked, limited the number of residents' passes. Have you any idea why that couldn't have been done in Hillsborough in streets where night time parking is the main problem? It isn't an issue for me personally, our street has no parking problems except on match days, and that's an accepted part of living here.

What would that solve - other than driving the wealthy/those with money to spend in the area away because they don't like having to park their car up in Wisewood every night?

It's terrace streets and some people have two cars. You might need to park 20 meters up the street. It happens all over the world.

Hillsborough's dying anyway - I'm resigned to that now and will be joining the white flight asap.