Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

Plenty of locals have already asked for it.

How many people / what percentage of houses have to ask before a road goes onto that list of requests.

How many people / what percentage of houses have to ask before a road goes onto that list of requests.

Each one is a request so it takes 1.

I can't believe that Dorothy Rd and Lennox Rd are two of the roads which it says have submitted applications for resident's parking. I used to live on Dorothy Rd and the only problem we ever had parking outside our house was on match day. The only other indication that anybody else ever parked in that road was when there was a bowls tournament at the park opposite.

People ask for all sorts of stuff you might not think they would need. We had a request for a pedestrian crossing on a cul-de-sac once!

I can't believe that Dorothy Rd and Lennox Rd are two of the roads which it says have submitted applications for resident's parking. I used to live on Dorothy Rd and the only problem we ever had parking outside our house was on match day. The only other indication that anybody else ever parked in that road was when there was a bowls tournament at the park opposite.

I live near there now, and the bottom end of Dorothy & Lennox Rds seem to be used as free Park and Rides.

I think that people who live around Taplin/Hillsborough Rds, and the Hawksley Avenue areas might actually be quite keen too. Similar for those at the bottom end of Walkley Lane. My daughter lives there, and struggles to park when she does a late shift. Not because of commuters, but because of multiple car owners who live in houses with no parking facilities. Next door to her is a 4 car family - mum, dad and 2 teenagers with a car each. Reduce that to a max of 2 and she just might not have to walk from another street at 3am!

Plenty of locals have already asked for it.

And at the risk of repeating myself !!!!!!!!

AT the risk of repeating myself we now have overspill cars swamping our street from the Sharrow scheme

Plenty of locals on my road have asked for an extension but have been told its not going to happen

We never had a problem before

Why do Hillsboro get one whilst we dont?

If it wasnt for the unpopular Sharrow scheme my road wouldnt have any problems

I think that people who live around Taplin/Hillsborough Rds, and the Hawksley Avenue areas might actually be quite keen too.
There is NO parking problem on those roads at the moment during the day. The roads are virtually empty. It's only when all the residents come home at the end of the working day that the road fills up. Some of them may be under misguided opinion that they can't find a space outside their front door because of shoppers, but it's not the case, it's their fellow residents. Introducing a parking scheme will:

- introduce an extra charge

- vastly reduce the available parking

- inconvenience visitors/trades

- and most importantly NOT address the problem they perceive!

There is NO parking problem on those roads at the moment during the day. The roads are virtually empty. It's only when all the residents come home at the end of the working day that the road fills up. Some of them may be under misguided opinion that they can't find a space outside their front door because of shoppers, but it's not the case, it's their fellow residents. Introducing a parking scheme will:

- introduce an extra charge

- vastly reduce the available parking

- inconvenience visitors/trades

- and most importantly NOT address the problem they perceive!

This is something that the residents will have to consider carefully when they see the operating hours & terms and conditions of any proposed scheme. If it's the residents themselves who are the problem, the only way a permit scheme will help is by limiting the number of permits per household, so the problems caused by houses in multiple occupancy (are there many?) could be reduced.

People also need to check whether 1 or 2 permits per household will be available from the start. This was a problem in Sharrow Vale, where only one permit per household was allocated at first, with second permits being made available later.

The Council should be doing comprehensive surveys at different times of the day to establish whether any problems are caused by commuters or the residents themselves.

People ask for all sorts of stuff you might not think they would need. We had a request for a pedestrian crossing on a cul-de-sac once!

Tricky things to cross those cul-de-sacs. :)

In the Council's current permit parking schemes, it costs a resident £36 for your first permit and £72 for your second (if allowed). Businesses pay double this amount.

I suppose £36 is not a bad price to pay if it is monitored and I'm guaranteed a parking place.

The thing is how can it work when some houses have more than one car and some also have work vans?

Do you buy a permit for your road or for a permit within that particular scheme?

Will it stop people bringing their cars to school in a morning and afternoon rather than walking the 500 yards?

What happens when someone visits or in our case when relatives who live away from the area pick our child up from school for us?

I live near there now, and the bottom end of Dorothy & Lennox Rds seem to be used as free Park and Rides.

It's not that long since I moved and I never saw any evidence of that, even though I was very near the bottom of Dorothy Rd.

The way round that, of course, is to make the park and ride free parking, but of course there's no money in that. It's no wonder if people do park on the street if it costs them money to park and then money to ride as well. Either make it free parking, or subtract the price of parking from the tram ticket. Planner 1 will now tell us again that park and rides are under the jurisdiction of SYPTE and the council has no control over them, but I'm sure something like that could be done if there was the political will, but they'd rather take more money off people in Hillsborough first.

I suppose £36 is not a bad price to pay if it is monitored and I'm guaranteed a parking place.

The thing is how can it work when some houses have more than one car and some also have work vans?

Do you buy a permit for your road or for a permit within that particular scheme?

Will it stop people bringing their cars to school in a morning and afternoon rather than walking the 500 yards?

What happens when someone visits or in our case when relatives who live away from the area pick our child up from school for us?

You aren't guaranteed a space at all. The permit is for the scheme area so you can park anywhere within it.

As I said in a previous post, one thing to carefully consider is the allocation of permits. At a guess, you'll struggle to get more than 2 per household on terraced streets, might even be one, depends on demand.

On previous schemes there have been a mix of residents bays and visitor bays, which have been pay and display (20p per hour), but I don't know what the plans are for this area.

Residents can get books of visitor permits (a scratch card), which allow visitors to park on the residents bays. These are valid for a full day and cost 20p each.

Broomhill, Sharrow Vale, London Rd and Ecclesall Road are in or adjacent to permit zones. Have you noticed lots of shops closing?

Along Ecclesall Rd very cheap pay & Display spaces have been created on the main stretch, so that means shoppers can still shop.

Will the council be doing this along Middlewood rd to ensure the shop owners here get the same help?

I tried to go to the Cat Shelter in Broomhall the other day, had to give up as there is no where for non-residents to park in the area at all, as far as I could see, so that was another waste of petrol and more harm done to the environment, thanks for that :)

Also, will the council be sorting out the farce that is taplin Rd? The Junction near the computer shop can only have been designed by drunk monkeys.

In the Council's current permit parking schemes, it costs a resident £36 for your first permit and £72 for your second (if allowed). Businesses pay double this amount.

Contrary to what some may think, the permit costs do not tend to increase year on year, it's only gone up once, by £1, since this type of scheme was introduced in Broomhall, several years ago.

Are you saying that I - as a resident - will be charged £36 for a parking permit so that I can park outside my own house - which at the moment I can do for free?

Why on earth should I be required to pay £36 for the right to park outside my own house? That is an absolute disgrace that the residents have to pay for a season ticket to park where they live!!!!

I live on one of the roads mentioned and - as has already been said - other than match day, there is never a problem to park. It's got no hospital/university nearby to justify it.

If that scheme goes through - which no doubt it will as it sounds like a very good money spinner for the council - lets face it, it will be rubber stamped no matter how many people object - it will be an absolute disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!