Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

The Council did not draw any inference from anything that was not said.

Well, that's not correct. A small number of people initially asked for a scheme. From that, the council were quite happy to accept the inference that the entire area wanted it.

They choose to sit on whichever side of the fence suits them best at that moment.

They asked the local people whether they wanted a scheme in the initial consultation before the scheme was introduced.

The consultation we are discussing was a review of the operation of the scheme which was introduced, so why would they ask whether a scheme was wanted or not? This consultation was about whether people thought the scheme had made a difference and how it might be adjusted to better suit local needs.

If an overwhelming number of people had been dissatisfied with the scheme, and wanted it removed, they would have said so. The fact is that only a small number of people said this.

And maybe if you asked the direct question 'Do you want the entire scheme scrapped?' you might get rather more people saying that they did. Surely this is exactly the time to ask them that because they have lived with/suffered (or in councilspeak 'enjoyed the benefits of') the scheme for a year, and if it doesn't do what they thought it was going to, they might very well want to get rid of it. Surely the fact that several people said exactly that without any prompting should make you ask that question in any future consultations of this sort?

Edited by metalman

The democracy angle is served at the ballot box.

The elected Councillors take the decisions, including which potential schemes get taken forward for consultation. Consultation informs their decisions. Consultation is not usually in itself a ballot, it is just a way of giving the decision makers a flavour of local opinion.

The Councillors are content with the way that consultation is carried out. If they were not, they'd require it to be done differently.

If you are not happy with the way schemes are selected or progressed I suggest you raise it with your Councillors.

Of course the Cllrs are happy with the way consultations are carried out ,as they are done in such a way as to benefit the councils decision makers, IE, they carry our the minimum consultation they have too . The less people they ask for their views ,the less chance there is of opposition to a scheme.

Of course the Cllrs are happy with the way consultations are carried out ,as they are done in such a way as to benefit the councils decision makers, IE, they carry our the minimum consultation they have too . The less people they ask for their views ,the less chance there is of opposition to a scheme.

Residents in the area were asked.....

but who should vote for what scheme where..............Are you wanting to vote against the scheme in an area so you can park on side roads rather than use a car park or a park and ride?

because if that's the case are you saying I should also have the right to vote for a parking permit scheme on the road that you live?

ps My reasons for wanting the scheme were that we were a free park and ride and dumping ground, now its 2 hours free parking and its LOADS better, If people coming to the area had had a little consideration for residents none of us would have asked for it...

I also think that the Hawksley rd car park should have stayed free

by the way if you want to overstay the hours its choose a match day because thats when you rarely see parking ticket officers - grrrrrrrrr

Well, that's not correct. A small number of people initially asked for a scheme. From that, the council were quite happy to accept the inference that the entire area wanted it.

They choose to sit on whichever side of the fence suits them best at that moment.

No, that is not correct.

Sufficient people asked for a scheme in Hilllsborough for the Council to consult over a wide area to ascertain whether local people really wanted a scheme and exactly what area it should cover.

Residents in the area were asked.....

but who should vote for what scheme where..............Are you wanting to vote against the scheme in an area so you can park on side roads rather than use a car park or a park and ride?

because if that's the case are you saying I should also have the right to vote for a parking permit scheme on the road that you live?

ps My reasons for wanting the scheme were that we were a free park and ride and dumping ground, now its 2 hours free parking and its LOADS better, If people coming to the area had had a little consideration for residents none of us would have asked for it...

I also think that the Hawksley rd car park should have stayed free

by the way if you want to overstay the hours its choose a match day because thats when you rarely see parking ticket officers - grrrrrrrrr

Consultation took place based on the requests of some people in specific roads, yes. But as others have said, the whole area was consulted with a survey packed with loaded questions and inferences that permits would allieviate parking problems - in some cases this was seen as misleading as it encouraged thoughts of a greater chance of a parking space (whereas the situation actually remains the same, only paid for).

I don't doubt that some areas required permit parking - but the wider Hillsborough area certainly did not - not during the hours of 8am - 6pm anyway.

I'd love to know how many people who lived on roads that weren't directly around the Hawksley Road/Precinct/Hillsborough Corner area actually requested permit parking in the first instance.

I really would be keen to see where the original requests came from.

There is little to suggest that initial requests from a small minority of Hillsborough residents has been anything but exploited for financial gain by the council. As I've said elsewhere on this thread, some people on our road and a neighbouring road have apparently "requested" inclusion - yet you drive down either Winster Road or Parkside Road in normal business hours - the very hours the scheme is covering - and you will see plenty of open space on the road for cars to park - and that's even with tradesmem vehicles & skips regularly in situ.

I am serious - if the council say this is coming in on our road, I will fight it and fight it hard - video evidence and legal advice on how to prove the council wrong on the issue will be sought.

It's exploitation at it's finest.

Edited by lukeowl1979

No, that is not correct.

Sufficient people asked for a scheme in Hilllsborough for the Council to consult over a wide area to ascertain whether local people really wanted a scheme and exactly what area it should cover.

How many is sufficient?

1%, 10% despite asking, we've never had an answer.

Perhaps you could talk to the person who decided to consult and report to us...

As Amey seem to be in the process of preventing everyone including permit holders from parking,and or entering and leaving our small area will the council provide alternate secure parking areas?As after all we have already paid to park in Hillsborough,or will they make the 2 carparks in the park be free to permit hoilders for the time of disruption.What I have seen of the other jobs this should only be for about 3 years.

As you all know alternative parking is scarce as the council seem hell bent in covering Sheffield with parking zones.

As Amey seem to be in the process of preventing everyone including permit holders from parking,and or entering and leaving our small area will the council provide alternate secure parking areas?As after all we have already paid to park in Hillsborough,or will they make the 2 carparks in the park be free to permit hoilders for the time of disruption.What I have seen of the other jobs this should only be for about 3 years.

As you all know alternative parking is scarce as the council seem hell bent in covering Sheffield with parking zones.

Also will they refund you part of your permit charge for the time you are unable to park on your own street. ?

Also will they refund you part of your permit charge for the time you are unable to park on your own street. ?

Plus expenses for having to drive around looking for spaces.

No no no no no

A permit does not guarantee a parking space...

The council sell more permits than there are spaces - don't you know that?

And before anyone says they don't - they do.

Dare I ask can a decision on permit parking be overturned if residents were to petition against the permits? Would this be taken seriously? And I agree with the above comment the shops are dissapering fast in hillsborough but the ladies of hillsborough should be looking fab with all hairdressers and nail/beauty places! If people have to pay to park they ll just end up at asda up hill

---------- Post added 24-04-2013 at 21:51 ----------

I think you are wrong. Residents are generally satisfied with permit parking schemes.

Who's satisfied? I here on a daily basis people complaining about these permits and I m a hillsborough resident!