Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

That's exactly the point. The problem for residents was never visitors. It was always that there just weren't enough spaces when all the residents got home from work.

Still, we had a chance to raise objections in the "consultation" process but didn't do so with enough weight.

But even if you had done, the council would probably have ignored you as the consultation has no official 'weight' - this has been confirmed by an ex-council employee!!

But even if you had done, the council would probably have ignored you as the consultation has no official 'weight' - this has been confirmed by an ex-council employee!!

We did.....................it was :mad:

And here is the problem. Consultation is designed to give the decision makers an insight into local opinion.

Although they consider all of these opinions, the decision makers do not necessarily have to agree with them. In fact in many cases there are often contradictory opinions on the same proposal.

The Councillors, who make the decisions on these matters have to make the decision which is best for the city as a whole.

The difficulty is, that when the decision goes against them, people like Litotes say that their opinions have been ignored. That is not the case. The decision makers never ignore your opinions, but they might disagree with them. There is a big difference.

So,in effect, our views have been ignored.

It amounts to the same.

So,in effect, our views have been ignored.

It amounts to the same.

No, it doesn't. Do you not understand the difference between ignoring someone's views and taking them on board, but deciding a different way? The Councillors have difficult decisions to make, they cannot please everyone.

care for my mum on Clarence Rd and either me or husband attends daily. I checked council website and link to carer permit doesn't work. I emailed council and they sent me form to apply for carer's permit. This needs proof of carers allowance/ disability allowance etc. My mum is 86, housebound and just in receipt of normal pension / pension credit. She is basically just elderly and quite frail - no specific diagnosis. She has private care company twice a day for 15 minutes!. We go to do lits of cooking/ cleaning/ shopping/ bathing / admin / company etc daily - apparantly now I need a permit if all 'free' spaces are gone. Not bothered about cost - but I have to ask doctor for letter to confirm needs - this is interesting as docor has visited one since discharge feb 2011 for a cut arm only, it's going to be interesting persuading them to write letter!

The decision makers never ignore your opinions, but they might disagree with them. There is a big difference.

I think that's a very fair summary of the situation.

I live on taplin road and it takes the p**s to get parked between 8am and 6pm and I get charged to

No, it doesn't. Do you not understand the difference between ignoring someone's views and taking them on board, but deciding a different way? The Councillors have difficult decisions to make, they cannot please everyone.

But they never justify their decisions to the people who elected them. If they turned round and said 88% of people did not actively want the scheme (as happened in the Sharrowvale Scheme) but we implemented it anyway, what sort of response would they get?

Also, in a lot of cases they don't even take them on board as they don't bother recording them even when they are presented in a council convened meeting.

But they never justify their decisions to the people who elected them. If they turned round and said 88% of people did not actively want the scheme (as happened in the Sharrowvale Scheme) but we implemented it anyway, what sort of response would they get?

Also, in a lot of cases they don't even take them on board as they don't bother recording them even when they are presented in a council convened meeting.

..and just where did that statistic come from Litotes?? The real truth is that of those who responded to the consultation, a majority were in favour. Numerous minor adjustments were made to the details of the scheme, but in reality there must have been a consensus in favour - otherwise the scheme would not have proceeded.

As with the Hillsborough scheme, some streets had a majority of responses against the scheme and they were omitted. Not surprisingly, some of those streets decided they wanted to be back in the scheme when it was reviewed some time later, - mainly due to displacement parking following implementation.

..and just where did that statistic come from Litotes?? The real truth is that of those who responded to the consultation, a majority were in favour. Numerous minor adjustments were made to the details of the scheme, but in reality there must have been a consensus in favour - otherwise the scheme would not have proceeded.

As with the Hillsborough scheme, some streets had a majority of responses against the scheme and they were omitted. Not surprisingly, some of those streets decided they wanted to be back in the scheme when it was reviewed some time later, - mainly due to displacement parking following implementation.

That statistic came from a Freedom of Information Act request I made in 2008.

Your premise that there must have been a concensus in favour has already been dismissed by Planner1 who said that the consultation is indicative only and

"Consultation is designed to give the decision makers an insight into local opinion.

Although they consider all of these opinions, the decision makers do not necessarily have to agree with them."

From your spurious arguement, if 1 person out of 1000 houses responded, and the others didn't (perhaps because they were students and the consultation took place when they weren't in residence, or away on holiday), then that 1 person's views would be implemented - rubbish!!!

From your spurious arguement, if 1 person out of 1000 houses responded, and the others didn't (perhaps because they were students and the consultation took place when they weren't in residence, or away on holiday), then that 1 person's views would be implemented - rubbish!!!

but that's true of any sort of poll/election and short of forcing people at gunpoint to vote/respond it isn't going to change.