Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

I was walking to work this morning and I noticed several young people with high vis jackets and clipboards, they looked like they were taking down number plates. There were 2 on Clarence Road and one on Taplin. On my way home they were still at it so I asked one of them what they were doing. He asked if I was a local resident, I am. He then said they were working on behalf of the council tofind out the number of cars that park on the roads in this area at what time. I then asked why and he said ultimately it will lead to resident permit parking. Anyone know anything else about this?

The Council have, over a number of years, received lots of requests for permit parking schemes in district shopping centres. They've decided to look at Hillsborough as the first one.

The first step in any such scheme is to establish what current conditions are in terms of parking occupancy and turnover. That's what the survey staff will have been doing.

Thx for that. Do you know if there is any online information that I can look at? I would like to know how far back into the estates it is going. On Ellenbro I am not exactly in the shopping centre so I want to know why our road is involved.

If it is anything like the schemes in other parts of the city, it will make parking for residents even more difficult than it is already.

Couldnt be much worse than it is already. Not when you have a road of terraced houses and loads of 2 car families, plus people who bring their work vans home.

Thx for that. Do you know if there is any online information that I can look at? I would like to know how far back into the estates it is going. On Ellenbro I am not exactly in the shopping centre so I want to know why our road is involved.

There won't be any info at this stage, the surveys they are carrying out are the very first stage of scheme development. The surveys will inform on the extent of the problems and where the scheme is needed.

Affected properties will be consulted. This usually happens when they've analysed the surveys and come up with a draft proposal to discuss.

I can give you contact details of the relevant Council Officer if you want to speak to someone about it. PM me if you want details.

If it is anything like the schemes in other parts of the city, it will make parking for residents even more difficult than it is already.

I think you are wrong. Residents are generally satisfied with permit parking schemes.

The Council have, over a number of years, received lots of requests for permit parking schemes i.

Who from? other town planners ?

No seriously..... I know people who live in Hillsbro, and I don't know of one person who would support yet another tax for them to pay for.

Yes, we know what your going to say "consutations blah blah.... nothing set in stone.... blah blah "......... however apart from students and a few lefty tree huggers, I can't see why people would support this.

For anyone who lives in Hillsborough who does actually think they might support this.... Remember, taxes only go one way, and thats up

I have to say that I in no way support this. Will this be one those things that the council just push through or will we get a say (and then they push it through regardless)?

I have to say that I in no way support this. Will this be one those things that the council just push through or will we get a say (and then they push it through regardless)?

Make no mistake, this thong is going to be rammed down your throat.

Local Government needs ever more of your wages, to keep their own wages/jobs.

I think you are wrong. Residents are generally satisfied with permit parking schemes.

Do you have a source for that information? Or is it just a guess?

When I lived at Netherthorpe I don't think there was one person on our street who supported the scheme.

The way these schemes run is that the council paints parking bays on the road, and then charge residents an annual fee to have a possible chance of parking in them. There is nothing the residents can do when commuters park in the bays, and they sometimes end up having to park at least a mile from their home... even though they have bought a permit.

There also always seem to be a lot fewer parking spaces on the street when the permit schemes come in... which will be very problematic on a lot of the streets with terraced housing around Hillsborough.