Thinking of houseshare ...any do & don'ts please?

Personally i would ask for one month's rent in advance plus extra for damages.. just in case. Sit down and agree on the house rules, and get it in writing (and signed)! Most of all, don't rush into it. Good luck :)

this is my biggest concern and dont really want someone in my house but im struggling money wise....really struggling and it seems the best option?! :huh:

I must admit my cases were extreme and the people here were not vetted and it wasn't well organised. So please don't let me put you off :) As long as you organise it as with the advice you've had so far I'm sure you'll be fine.

msg deleted

Edited by a_starfish

Guest sibon
Hi all,

Thinking of house sharing and letting out my attic. Got a couple of interested people and as ive never done this before wondered if any of you could give me some do's and don'ts...

Contracts?

Shared food? do you have a kitty?

house sharers 'right's

any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated ta xxx

Have you thought of contacting Sheffield Theatres, who often want lodgings for members of cast. I believe that they pay well and it would give you the chance to try out letting to see if it suits you, without committing to a long term let.

Have you thought of contacting Sheffield Theatres, who often want lodgings for members of cast. I believe that they pay well and it would give you the chance to try out letting to see if it suits you, without committing to a long term let.

I had a girlfriend in Leeds who had this kind of arrangement with the theatre. It worked very well for her.

brilliant thanks will phone them in the am xxx

Having been a lodger and someone who has rented a room out in their own house - my advice would be this.....

If you rent someone your attic - this might sound daft - but it's going to be better if you dont know them at all - just make sure their references are pukka and they have employment checks you can verify etc.

The reason I'd say go for a stranger rather than a friend is based on personal experience. I lodged with 2 different sets of friends and after a while we got on each others nerves so bad....our one time friendship just vanished, perhaps the fact I was working with them and living with them - was a bad move. When I let a room a house I used to have to someone I knew only a little bit - that was fine...until she decided she wanted to have an all night party and ended up getting the police out due to her friends fighting.....and I got the full brunt of abuse from the neighbours over it.

Just keep it real, check your references carefully - and get a stranger - good luck and hope things work out for you :)

Mick x

Echoing all that everyone has said already, though I've lived with VERY good friends and it has worked out well in the past (including one, for 5 years!) so it reeeally does depend on the friend. That said, you can't judge how good someone might be to live with, nomatter how well you think you know them. You can only find out by doing it....

ALl really good advice - I've had a fair few housemates and have been sent insane by a few of them (had one that read my letters and went through my room when I was out, then told colleagues about my personal life etc...)

You can quite often find people that only want a place during the week as they work away from partners/families etc, which can be quite handy if you still like your space. People like that usually advertise online (google for flatmates etc), but vet them carefully!

Also, definitely take a deposit and include bills in rent, EVEN if they are friends. I've been shafted a few times in that department... My "best friend" left, giving me less than a week's notice, and owing me more than £500 for rent and bills.

I got a solicitor to draw up a 'house sharing agreement'. This is a less formal contract than you'd have if you were renting out somewhere you don't live, but gives some legal protection to both sides with regard to rent payments, damage to furniture and so on.

And I re-iterate the advice others have given you. Be very clear on what you are offering and expecting before your lodger moves in. So long as you both know exactly where you stand, it can be a very happy arrangement and a great source of income.

Also, up to a certain limit, you don't have to pay tax on income from renting a room in your house - read up on the 'rent a room scheme'.

If you end up with more people interested in your room than you need, please direct them to me if you can, I'm also trying to rent out my attic ;-).

All the best.

I got a solicitor to draw up a 'house sharing agreement'. This is a less formal contract than you'd have if you were renting out somewhere you don't live, but gives some legal protection to both sides with regard to rent payments, damage to furniture and so on.

And I re-iterate the advice others have given you. Be very clear on what you are offering and expecting before your lodger moves in. So long as you both know exactly where you stand, it can be a very happy arrangement and a great source of income.

Also, up to a certain limit, you don't have to pay tax on income from renting a room in your house - read up on the 'rent a room scheme'.

If you end up with more people interested in your room than you need, please direct them to me if you can, I'm also trying to rent out my attic ;-).

All the best.

haha! yes i saw your advert. Have you tried http://www.spareroom.co.uk ive put it on there and thats where my interest has come from. you have to pauy for bold otherwise you get no interest.

x

I found easyroomate.com good.

a contract really helps things - but also i have made it REALLY clear what my expectations are when people come round. generally i have found that i "knew" if people were going to be ok. one bloke barely made it past the front door, before i said no. make sure you sit down and talk to them, rather than just show people around, and also remember that you are in charge. if you are in any way uneasy, say no.