Aston Woodhouse High School

Paul is fine, alive and kicking. Are you thinking of Paul Curley, he was the same age. He died a few years ago.

I remember those teachers (well most of them)

There was Gadd and Fletcher for Games. One of them kicked me all round the field for tripping someone at Rugby.

Just come to me Paul is fine he started working for himself a few years ago in waste oil and things like that, I don't mean Paul Curley it was a lad about the same age who lived on Wesley Avenue who died in a car accident near Ulley reservoir many years ago now. I do know Paul Foster very well, it shows you how rumors start, my memory is not as good as it used to be. There was another games teacher I think called something like Mr Soliuble not sure how it was spelt. I had the slipper of Mr Gadd a few times and he also used the end of the rope in the gym. Do you remember the husbad and wife taem called Horner who used to teach RE.

The lad who dies in the car crash was Steven Bayliss....Bowler

I was there. I was in the car behind and I tried to get him out of the car. We had just come back from holiday in Spain. Tossa De Mar. Me, Paul Foster, Winky Watson, Kev Connolly, Bowler and possibly others (I cant remember)

Dave Jones was driving (he got time for it) and Dick Fearn was in the back. I was in a car behind with Paul and Neil Marsh.

Paul Foster and I were best mates. We still are mates but I rarely see him. He was my best man.

Solly was a games teacher. I think he left and was replaced by Fletcher.

The Horners lived on Treeton Lane Aughton end just up from the crossroads. I remember them well. I got good marks and I never went to a lesson. Im convinced they had no idea who I was so they gave me good marks. My brother used to say that he thoight I would become a Vicar as it was the only subject I got good marks in.

Bowler, that's him, he was a nice lad, I liked him. I knew Neil Marsh very well, I think he was in my class at some time. Fletcher must have started after I left. Can't believe I got Paul Foster mixed up for Bowler. I liked Paul he had a good sense of humour. Horners used to have a VW beetle car number plate '8 tal' I think, a creamy white one I remember it well, maybe because my dad had one at the same time. Do you remember my cousin Derrick Clarry. I was in Sherwood 1, Miss Fields was our leader what ever. Four groups I think Sherwood, Rotherwood, Ivanoe and Hallam went from 1 to 7.

Derrick Clarry........I dont think I knew him

There was a Derrick who lived at Fence, wasnt him was it (lived next to the farm)

Marshy was a welder for years and then he changed to a chippy (never asked him how he did that). I see him now and again. I think he called himself Notty Pine.

That's right about Neil he did work for himself has a chippy. Derrick lived at Aughton. Steve Layne was in my class he did are still does a quizz in the Black Bull, I do a quizz in my local pub at Handsworth on Tuesday night at the Anglers Rest, just come home now from doing it, been doing it for over 16 years, Paul Foster did come in one night a few years ago, call in one tuesday to have ago starts just after ten.

Edited by philsueash

I went to Woodhouse Grammar School and then to Aston Woodhouse High School for the last year of my education. I remember Jesse and Katie Blyth (wasn't she to one whose jowls used to wobble when she shook her head). I remember Peter Houghton he used to teach me biology - or at least try. I can remember the Tillery boys, Adrian Sensicall, Suzanne Barnes, Angelica Schierenbeck. My brother Rodger Trehearn was in the year above me.

Linda Swallow (Trehearn) from Brinsworth

I know the teachers but not the pupils, youre right about Katie Blyth, Peter Houghton became a Sheffield councillor. I left in 1967.

Phil Ashley from Swallownest

hi, i was at aston 1965 to 1969 i remember miss bastern not the name we called her she gave me detention for just goin across the rd for sweets, also remember road runner usedto go with liz galbraith,remember bowler in that awful car accident he was really nice lad. i moved away in 1977 after i got married,, to cheshire still here still married, used to hang round with josie jones julie white susan edwards janice jones altho now lost contact.

Has anyone got any Aston Woodhouse High School school pupil photos please

Yes I have a Form Photo - somewhere! Need to look it out. Think it was 1961?

Mr Dagnall as Deputy Head, Nev ? as Form Tutor. If my memory serves me well Dorothy ? was Head-Girl and John Price Head-Boy .

I was Carole Smith then. If you would like to e-mail me with your details I will look out the photo and let you have a copy.

Carole.

hey lads,we were sent to woodhouse grammar from aston woodhouse.for the last year at school,i left in 1964.my name is eric leigh was known as fingers,becauseof the red and green striped jumper,but was also called dickie.i remember miss baston,french.can remember some of the lads kenny chadburn,alan leadbetter and others hope these names bring back some memories.

Wow a lot of memories here - I am now 71, lived on Aughton Road, Swallownest. Went to WGS 1951 to 1957. Jessie was there from wartime, last saw her at annual June WGS Reunion in 2005. She died 2009. Music teacher, Miss Gill died 2004. Know Black Bull pub well, but used mainly Robin Hood or Royal Oak at Ulley. Know many from Aughton from Swallownest Scool 1945 to 1951. Jeff Jacobs, Eric Tillery, and many more who's faces I can see but names elude me. Still in contact with many Swallownest people, wherever they are now.

Horners mentioned - Mts Horner was a teacher and her husband was formerly a padre in the RAF. They had a daughter Joan, same age as me and in same classes right through schooling including WGS. They formerly lived on West Park Drive, road on the left just after top of Park Hill.

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia (Victor Marshall Hutchionson - dad was local tv and radio repair guy and my mother had a hairdressing business)