Thurley Place off terry street Attercliffe

scrunits I can remember the Hunt family making oatcakes and pikelets in a small outbuilding at the bottom of Amberley Street. I remember it well because my older brother who took objection to having to take me with him and his older mates once sent me into Hunts place to ask if they wanted anyone to punch holes in pikelets. They also made me call in to Mansells Funeral establishment opposite Carbrook Council School to see if they had any empty boxes.

hi marie i am just a few years older than you im 71 i seem to remember your family name edna was indeed at the post office for a good few years ann/june are both my nieces and still live in the darnall area i remember a family called gelsthorpe lived in the bottom yard just passed your house same yard as grandad storer regards allen

Hi Allen, Dennis, Audrey, Jean and Lewis Gelsthorpe. You mentioned Granded Storey and the name Drui came into mind was that your grandma. 5 years when your are an adult is nothing but when you are a kid its a lot. My sister Enid was the same age as you, Beryl fisher lived in the next yard up from us, Betty Cousins, Les Cousins, Raymond Banner he lived in the house next to Mrs Bernard. I remember every morning on my way to school calling at Rutherford's bread shop for a 1d breadcake? regards Marie

How could I forget I'm sorry Dorothy I was Janet's age so my memory is not what it was

Hi Allen, Dennis, Audrey, Jean and Lewis Gelsthorpe. You mentioned Granded Storey and the name Drui came into mind was that your grandma. 5 years when your are an adult is nothing but when you are a kid its a lot. My sister Enid was the same age as you, Beryl fisher lived in the next yard up from us, Betty Cousins, Les Cousins, Raymond Banner he lived in the house next to Mrs Bernard. I remember every morning on my way to school calling at Rutherford's bread shop for a 1d breadcake? regards Marie

hi marie

what a great number of names youhave brought back some great times we had when we were younger drui was my auntie she had a son called gordon gregory your sister enid was in our class at carbrook county les cousins was a year older than me raymond banner whas a great lad that whent to a special school remember ruthefords shop and 1d breadcakes baked in back yard also remember milk/coal horses going down cambell rd to dairy lewis gelsthorpe i think lives in canada regards allen

and Dorothy, the youngest daughter.

Sorry how could I forget Dorothy I was the same age as Janet and my memory is not what it was. I remember Mr Monks as a tall slim gentleman with gray hair and glasses. The family that lived in the first house of that yard were called Mr & Mrs Fox I think they had a son called Raymond.

Hi Mazcris

June Smith would about my age. I lived in the same yard as the Hawksworths I new a family in the next yard called Becks and on the other side of Campbell Rd near to Broughton lane a family nixons. Do you remember the dairy horses coming down Campbell road to the stables in the dairy on Broughton lane

Hi Scrunit Brian, Les, Margaret and Denise Beck, Jimmy, Ken, Ann and Nira hawsworth. I remember Jean Nixon. Can you remember Rita and Glennis Chapel they lived in the big yard at the end of Cartonville Road. I am 66 and I don't remember the horses but I went to the dairy many times.

hi marie

what a great number of names youhave brought back some great times we had when we were younger drui was my auntie she had a son called gordon gregory your sister enid was in our class at carbrook county les cousins was a year older than me raymond banner whas a great lad that whent to a special school remember ruthefords shop and 1d breadcakes baked in back yard also remember milk/coal horses going down cambell rd to dairy lewis gelsthorpe i think lives in canada regards allen

Don't remember the horses Allen but yes I remember Gordon Gregory again nearer to my sister Enid's age but remember him playing marbles in the street.

Before I was born my grandad and grandma Barthorpe used to keep the Bird in Hand pub. Enid was born there. Though I didn't know your mum I'm sure I am remembering her coming down Melville Road in a pinafore on the other side from Mrs Bernard. Did Stan used to live somewhere here with his family. Do you remember George and Malcolm Peacock. Yes Lewis Gelsthorpe does live in Canada I met up with him about 4 years ago regards Marie

Edited by mazcris
to add to my message

Sorry how could I forget Dorothy I was the same age as Janet and my memory is not what it was. I remember Mr Monks as a tall slim gentleman with gray hair and glasses. The family that lived in the first house of that yard were called Mr & Mrs Fox I think they had a son called Raymond.

Grandpa passed away in 1971, aged 71, I was seven, and my sister was just about to turn five.

Yes he was slender and (obviously to a child) he seemed tall. I remember his house well, down to the brown pot sink in the kitchen, and the smell of tea.

I don't really remember the people from the other houses in his yard, except the Malkins next door. From what I remember of what my mum told me, when my grandpa fell and broke his hip, it was the Malkins and the milkman who came to his help. Sadly, after a stay in hospital having his hip pinned and plated, he got pneumonia as a result of being immobilised, and he passed away.

Don't remember the horses Allen but yes I remember Gordon Gregory again nearer to my sister Enid's age but remember him playing marbles in the street.

Before I was born my grandad and grandma Barthorpe used to keep the Bird in Hand pub. Enid was born there. Though I didn't know your mum I'm sure I am remembering her coming down Melville Road in a pinafore on the other side from Mrs Bernard. Did Stan used to live somewhere here with his family. Do you remember George and Malcolm Peacock. Yes Lewis Gelsthorpe does live in Canada I met up with him about 4 years ago regards Marie

hi marie

gordon went to live at ringwood in the new forest with one of our aunties whos name i cannot remember first pint i ever had at 18 was in the bird in hand with our stan yes he did live on melville rd just across from edna with his family kieth/sharon storer mum used to go round to make sure we all got up for work had tea mashed on mornings,made sure you got snap,on afternoons and nights no missing work no lying in used to go to school with the peacocks,bennets,greaves,bowers,did you see lewis in canada or england regards allen

Grandpa passed away in 1971, aged 71, I was seven, and my sister was just about to turn five.

Yes he was slender and (obviously to a child) he seemed tall. I remember his house well, down to the brown pot sink in the kitchen, and the smell of tea.

I don't really remember the people from the other houses in his yard, except the Malkins next door. From what I remember of what my mum told me, when my grandpa fell and broke his hip, it was the Malkins and the milkman who came to his help. Sadly, after a stay in hospital having his hip pinned and plated, he got pneumonia as a result of being immobilised, and he passed away.

Hello Plain Talker

I do remember going to your mum's house a couple of times as a child, is Dorothy your mum. I think I saw her a few years ago at a school reunion at the carbrook hall, but I am not sure. I remember Janet had ginger hair.

hi marie

gordon went to live at ringwood in the new forest with one of our aunties whos name i cannot remember first pint i ever had at 18 was in the bird in hand with our stan yes he did live on melville rd just across from edna with his family kieth/sharon storer mum used to go round to make sure we all got up for work had tea mashed on mornings,made sure you got snap,on afternoons and nights no missing work no lying in used to go to school with the peacocks,bennets,greaves,bowers,did you see lewis in canada or england regards allen

Hi Allan what a lovely mum you had. Kieth & Sharon I remember their names what was their mum's name. Did I used to see your dad with a miners hat on as well. These really are childhood memories Do you remember the Machins or Makins husband and wife window cleaners they lived in the yard above Edna it had no roof on the entry. I can also remember a Christine Wolstenholm lived in the other corner from Edna for a while. Terry Hazel used to live in the same yard as the corner shop Bacons or Iris's. In 1979 we all moved from the area for slum clearance I lived on the Scraithwood estate off Herries Road there used to be prefabs near the owls football ground. Pete Ross was my neighbour. Do you remember the storm when the houses in Ednas yard were struck by lightening. regards Marie

Hello Plain Talker

I do remember going to your mum's house a couple of times as a child, is Dorothy your mum. I think I saw her a few years ago at a school reunion at the carbrook hall, but I am not sure. I remember Janet had ginger hair.

Irene, the eldest of the three girls was my mother, Janet and Dot are my aunts. Yes Janet has red hair. Dot is, indeed, part of the Coleridge Road old-girls association (I'm not sure of the exact name)