Why do men have affairs?

It couldn't be that women throw themselves at men in positions of power then? (go for the alpha male, primate behaviour again you see)

It's both. Probably why many unprepossing men develop these amazing personalities that are magnetic to women. I mean look at Woody Allen for example. Hardly a looker but he has woman all over him. Why cos he makes them laugh (although v dubious about his latest conquest). Then you have the likes of Aristotle Onassis, hardly a Greek Adonis but a hugely powerful man not only financially but generally.

It works both ways in my view.

I could give more examples but am very tired.

It couldn't be that women throw themselves at men in positions of power then? (go for the alpha male, primate behaviour again you see)

I haven't said that it wasn't that, really. Reproductive access to women is the goal, political office but one means. Having a truckload of cash can often help too. :hihi:

I think my point was more that men try to gain these positions for reproductive success. Of course women will "throw themselves" at politicians and the like, but in terms of the OP specifically listing politicans as being people who have affairs, I'd be more shocked if they weren't having them.

If that makes sense?

I haven't said that it wasn't that, really. Reproductive access to women is the goal, political office but one means. Having a truckload of cash can often help too. :hihi:

I think my point was more that men try to gain these positions for reproductive success. Of course women will "throw themselves" at politicians and the like, but in terms of the OP specifically listing politicans as being people who have affairs, I'd be more shocked if they weren't having them.

If that makes sense?

My point is that it is a game played on both sides. Male chimpanzees fight to become the alpha of the group because they will have access to all the females. The females all mate with him because they want both his genes and his protection, but will also mate with other lowlier males (when the alpha isn't looking) to expand the range of genes carried by their offspring. So males and females are doing the same thing, basically.

We are only one step removed. Alpha males don't bare their teeth and beat their chest (well they do in some places perhaps) but display their status in society in other ways.

And the cave paintings were probably made by one of the non alpha males when he was depressed after being beaten up for going near a female yet again...

Probably the same thing that compels women to have affairs.

Yep - looks at the stats for reasons behind divorces; more men file and state infidelity than women do. And it has nothing to do with saving face etc as they are de-personalised stats, i.e. confidential.

Can't see the attraction of such a job even if the money were good. I don't like the idea of dealing with drunken lager louts, chavs and the like

You'd be unhappy in parliament then!

I asked one of my male friends and he described it as follows;

'I have the finest steak and chips at home but now and again all I want is a cheap burger'.

He probably did, he would have needed to check his aim

I think he may have recognised her - he had come accross her face before.:hihi:

You know of course, that the Tasmanians, who never committed adultery, are now extinct!:lol::lol:

The little Devils!!

'I have the finest steak and chips at home but now and again all I want is a cheap burger'.

LOL, what a JOKA!

LOL, what a JOKA!

A friend of mine described it in a similar fashion. 'Some times you like to eat at home and some times you fancy a take-away.' Classy.

LOL, what a JOKA!

The trouble starts when it's the burger at home and you fancy the occasional Steak and Chips!

The trouble starts when it's the burger at home and you start fancying a nice piece of steak! Sorry for the double post....The computer and web site are still in charge of me(Instead of the other way round)