Being Single and its problems

The biggest problem I had when I was single was pant washing, thankfully I have got that sorted now.

You're a lucky boy ... we should all have your problems! :P

I like being single and don't feel the need to seek a partner at every opportunity. I do get pressured by friends/family/colleagues as to why I'm not with someone yet, but I'd rather be with the right person than the wrong one.

As I get older my view may change, but at the minute I'm able to do what I want, when I want. If I was in a relationship, things like my Africa trip wouldn't have happened. I don't have to factor anyone else in, which is important to me at the minute. At this stage the windswept lifesytle suites me. :)

Exactly the same here, I have been singe for a long long time now. Yes, sometimes it does get lonely and it would be nice to be with someone for those moments, and other moments of course.

I have managed my time well and have done many things on my own, which most of have been great experiences. The first one that spings to mind was my 4 weeks in Canada and the States, all on my own for the first time abroad and the first time I had been on a plane. I have done that, gone on holidays with friends and it was great, although now it would be nice to plan a trip for just me and someone else.

I know we often say it on these threads, but SFers do meet up for evenings out all the time. I'm one of the drink and meal people but there are lots of other groups on here, the Walkers Group have a fuill social calendar even! We're all mostly people on our own that go to these things, so if you're ever feeling a bit down and lonely, check out the Evenings Out board and see if there's anything planned.

Other than that, and risking sounding downbeat, I understand exactly where Edna is coming from, I've spent the majority of my life being a single and I still don't like it. I've seriously been looking for the last 5 or 6 years and I've run the gamut, dating sites, social clubs, dancing sessions, singles nights ... the men you meet are just out for a 'good time', cheating on someone else, misrepresent themselves, too old, too young, or have some serious personality defect. And they probably go home thinking the same about the women they meet.

You just give up in the end and settle for friends and family. :(

See I think you are lovely Ruby and why some blokey hasn't snapped you up is beyond me too??? I'm now going to try really hard to become a lesbian i think, I've just got to get over this not fancying women bit and I'll be right!

I don't see it as a problem but more of a condition.

I'm in my late fifties and have aways lived on my own, I consider myself a solitory animal. Probably the most difficult time I had is when my mum died.

I knocked on the door of an old girlfriend I hadn't seen her for years, just so I could talk the situation through.

A colleage recently returned from holiday having spent 2 weeks abroad. When this became common knowlegde at coffee break. There was a twenty minute discussion of what people thought of various airports. The holiday was not even mentioned. I find such conversations completely valueless and a waste of time.

I actually like living alone, however it does have its downside. My house is a complete mess, and there is only one person to blame. Its now beginning to get me down, the trouble is I do not know where to start to clear it up.

Mike

There do seem to be more single women than single men. Is that a fact or just my impression? Does anyone know the stats ? Notwithstanding, loneliness is a difficult thing to deal with.

Statistically speaking, men tend to die sooner than women which has lead to a derth of older women without a partner. This is due to socio-economic factors in the 50-80 age range. Disproportionality in the younger age groups is more likely to be perceived than factual.

Being alone seldom equates to being lonely. Society dictates, in so many ways, that unless we are part of a couple we are virtually worthless. Until we stop 'buying in' to this nonsensical theology, we will continue to be so.

The art of loving ourselves as individuals is an anathema to many but until we learn the art we have little hope of loving another.

I like being single and don't feel the need to seek a partner at every opportunity. I do get pressured by friends/family/colleagues as to why I'm not with someone yet, but I'd rather be with the right person than the wrong one.

As I get older my view may change, but at the minute I'm able to do what I want, when I want. If I was in a relationship, things like my Africa trip wouldn't have happened. I don't have to factor anyone else in, which is important to me at the minute. At this stage the windswept lifesytle suites me. :)

I can identify with that, I've been windswept for quite a while freedom means everything to me - I like to know I can

Anyone else have this problem?

I am a single female late 40's never married. people ask if i have ever been married does it make any difference ? i just find it a strange question to ask.

The draw backs is that it can get very lonley, and a problem when wanting to go on hoilday and no one to go with.

Seeing couples going out together sharing bithdays / christmas etc.

I feel that being single or not part of a couple people exclude you from things and make you feel like a social outcast

I've never been married but I was in a 13 year cohabiting relationship. However if i was a divorcee or had kids, it's almost like proof that you are capable of a relationship! The ex is all water under the bridge now and has been for a very long time. However, it always seems to come up as people think you are serious strange if you've got to a certain age so you kind of throw it in to say, look, someone wanted me once! :rolleyes: Everything since has been very **** eyed or short term (6 months being the longest...) My friend of a similar age who hasn't ever lived with anyone does get the well what's wrong with you questions... stupid isn't it?

See I think you are lovely Ruby and why some blokey hasn't snapped you up is beyond me too???I'm now going to try really hard to become a lesbian i think, I've just got to get over this not fancying women bit and I'll be right!

I love my auntie Ruby and I do wonder the same Edna, we like to have our chats and it baffles me as to why no one has whisked here away :confused:

As to the second part of the quote.....erm, ok.....not met you but I know a few people who have. I hear you're a lovely person, i'm sure you wouldn't have to try too hard :D:D:D

I actually like living alone, however it does have its downside. My house is a complete mess, and there is only one person to blame. Its now beginning to get me down, the trouble is I do not know where to start to clear it up.

How true! Mine's not quite that bad but it's so easy to let it slip, a few days of basically not putting anything away, muddy cats / bike etc and the place is suddenly a dump. The fix, like all unwelcome jobs, is to make a start. Starting's the hardest thing.

To be honest, I think Im one of them.

And I thought you were a harmless transvestite...

:hihi:

Well folks - I'm a soon to be single. House goes on the market next week so I need to find somewhere to live too. Am terrified. I've hated those periods of my life when I've been alone.

Note to self: keep busy and keep that demon depression away.

Well folks - I'm a soon to be single. House goes on the market next week so I need to find somewhere to live too. Am terrified. I've hated those periods of my life when I've been alone.

Note to self: keep busy and keep that demon depression away.

Aww, Pritt Stick am sorry to hear that. I've been there and it is hideous so I totally sympathise. As you say, keeping busy is the best panacea. When are we going to fix up our Hindu Temple trip? Booking things up to look forward to is one of the best things to get you on that road to recovery.

I do firmly believe that being single is far better than being in a relationship which is soul destroying.

Hugs & Kisses. Stay strong.

Suffy x