What are the guidelines for keeping chickens and ducks in the garden?

I keep a few hens in my garden - have done for years.

I keep them in Eglus as the run is fox resisitant and also there is a very much reduced chance of the dreaded red mite taking hold and wiping out your flock. Also they are dead easy to keep clean.

Regarding regulations, so long as you don't keep too many hens, or a rooster in an urban setting, are considerate about noise (I refuse to accept that a few hens clucking and occassionally bok bokking are any noisier than lawn mowers, sirens, burglar and car alarms, children playing etc) you should have no problems, as long as your deeds/landlord don't object.

Be aware that you might notice a few more rats about as naturally they will be attracted to the food. Your neighbours might seize upon this and grumble so be rigorous in baiting and trapping.

Am happy to share my hen keeping experiences.

I also have two hens in an eglu in the garden, they were rescue ladies so only one actually lays any eggs for us. But they are lovley pets, a pleasure to watch and they help keep the slug population to a minimum.

I had to run chicken wire round all the boundrys because the ladies like the look of the lady next doors immaculate lawn and did get out once.

All in all as long as you do not mind clearing up the huge amounts of poop they are great.

I too am getting some chickens and can't wait! I've been doing a bit of reading up and some guidelines I've found state about 1ft square space for each chicken indoors ( in hen house) and 4ft square of outdoor space per chicken.

I have had a look at the eglus and although they look quite funky they are quite expensive and they seem a bit small for the amount of hens they reckon can be kept in them, but must admit have not seen one in person though so maybe bigger in real life.

I have spoken with my local environmental health team who advised there were no restrictions on keeping chickens but that I would need to be aware of smell/noise/damage to other gardens etc and if anyone felt the need to complain then the complaints would have to be investigated but as long as they can see your looking after them and making sure they don't escape and eat your neighbours gardens then you can keep em.

My neighbours are really good so I don't think I will have any issues and a man a few doors away had chickens up until last year too.

Have you registered your interest with any of the hen rescue teams? I know that the North London rescue team is due to do a rescue oct/nov time and they have pick up points in Sheffield/rotherham.

ex battery are fine and will continue to lay for quite a while,the reason why they are rehome o slaughtered is because supermarket does not accept the eggs when they get to 18 months old as the shells are thiner,other than that there are nothing wrong with the eggs at all,the same happens to the free range chickens,they have to go at 18 months old

You'll only need to register the flock with DEFRA if you keep 50 or more hens. However you can register voluntarily. DEFRA also have a free text and email alert service should there be an outbreak of any notifyable diseases in the area.

I'm the local co-ordinator for the North London Hen Rescue so feel free to pm me and come and look at my ex-batts, hen house and ask any questions. Battery hens are sent for slaughter at approx 72 weeks old as they generally enter their first moult then. Egg production drops as they put the protein into feather growth rather than making eggs and they tend to lay less than the 6 eggs per week that makes them commercially viable. However hens can lay for years to come. They do tend to lay less eggs, however they do seem to be bigger eggs. Unfortunately they are not "retired" but are sent to slaughter to go into pet and baby food.

I have a couple of pure bred hens along with the ex-batts. One in particular is quite talkative and both are considerably more flighty. But there are quite a few good breeds out there for beginners which are relatively docile and good layers.

I would definately make certain your housing is fox proof, and remember they are clever, determined creatures that can clear 5' fences and dig underneath them! Eglu's do have a good reputation however are incredably expensive considering the basic needs of a hen and I mady my house out of recycled materials which cost only £20 in total, compared with the £600 for an eglu cube or £200 for a new wooden built ark or shed.

And I too have had to fence them in.... my couple of acres to free range in was nowhere near as exciting as next doors veg patch!

Hi I have had xbattery hens till last week , when a Dog broke in to my pen, and clawes and Clawed and the Chicken Wire to get to them while i was out walking my own Dog, its very inportant to protect from Dogs as well as Foxes, i was devastated, but my xbatterys were laying and they were so Friendley, and un like pure breeds did not claw at the Garden, and they were very quiet, i will get some more once we have moved, they are Easy to keep as long as you clean them out regular, and you can feed all your house hold Scraps, pluss a little infor Go on the websight Down the lane, lots of wonderful INFOMATION FOR keeping chooks.

Hi I have had xbattery hens till last week , when a Dog broke in to my pen, and clawes and Clawed and the Chicken Wire to get to them while i was out walking my own Dog, its very inportant to protect from Dogs as well as Foxes, i was devastated, but my xbatterys were laying and they were so Friendley, and un like pure breeds did not claw at the Garden, and they were very quiet, i will get some more once we have moved, they are Easy to keep as long as you clean them out regular, and you can feed all your house hold Scraps, pluss a little infor Go on the websight Down the lane, lots of wonderful INFOMATION FOR keeping chooks.

Clawing is nothing to do with the pure breed or hybrid as it varies depending on actual breed of bird. Chicken wire isn't strong enough to protect. For protection you need weld mesh with small holes.

well kick somone when there down why don,t you, i was told this info by chicken breeders and people that get xbats to use chicken wire, and if its no good why do that sale it, it seems you must be very Rich, if you have the perfect wire, Good luck. not

well kick somone when there down why don,t you, i was told this info by chicken breeders and people that get xbats to use chicken wire, and if its no good why do that sale it, it seems you must be very Rich, if you have the perfect wire, Good luck. not

:oWell pardon me for trying to help you and stop it happening again. :roll: They sell chicken wire as it is useful for the purpose it was intended. Weld mesh is only slightly more expensive than chicken wire. I won't bother adding any more information to help you to fox/dog/rat proof your coop and run if you are going to be nasty, purile and rude.

Heeley City Farm

Details of the next Chicken keeping workshop on Sat 17th March starting at 10am. Places are limited so book your places now!!

just seen this, thought it may help

I got a big roll of weldmesh off ebay for about the same price as normal chicken wire from the local DIY store. My girls, all bar 3 are kept in a converted garden shed, with a run that looks a bit like a car port, with all the sides covered in mesh and buried. For good measure, we have flags around the perimeter. We used the garden shed idea because we had tried a regular all in one hen house and a) it crippled me trying to clean it out b) our 3 girls looked rather cramped in the run! The downside was that having gone to a shed, there was loads of room so we simply had to have a few more hens. Which is why we now have 15 in there! Did anyone tell you it is addictive?

I have just bought a chicken hut and 2.5m run with the intention of getting a few layers. Does anyone know the best place (local to Sheffield) to buy chickens that will lay eggs. Must admit although it says for 8 chickens, don't think I would be happy keeping more than 3, its pretty small. Do you usually just leave them in the run or let them roam around , at least while you are at home in the daytime? Any advice accepted. OO and I obviously dont want any breed that may be loud for the neighbours although we are detached.