What are the guidelines for keeping chickens and ducks in the garden?

I have searched through previous threads but haven't really concluded my question.

I understand you can't keep chickens in a council house/garden and it may say in your deeds (which I don't have because the property is rented).

Is there any overall rule? Does the chicken run/coop need to be a certain distance from houses? I have a fairly long garden which backs onto a pub car park.

Also what kind of space do they need? (I'm looking at the possibility of one or the other at the moment).

Obviously I will be getting battery/rescue birds if the time comes and do my research properly, and get appropriate housing/care for them. I just wondered if I am actually allowed to. I would need to check with my landlord obviously, but he has been quite open about our menagerie so far.

Oh and Linchiplulu (mum) this is purely hypothetical :hihi: (she doesn't live with me btw just doesn't understand my love for animals).

....Oh and Linchiplulu (mum) this is purely hypothetical :hihi: (she doesn't live with me btw just doesn't understand my love for animals).

I don't think my family understand that either! :hihi:

If you get in touch with environemental health at Sheffield city council they will be able to tell you about regulations for keeping animals. Chickens are classed as livestock not pets and I am not sure if you require a license to keep poultry.

Just a bit of advice, make sure you have fences which are chicken proof as they can get through small holes into neighbours gardens and cause havoc! Also although they cannot fly some are pretty good at escaping especially if there are shrubs / trees near your boundry, they like to roost in low branches and can easily hop up and down branches and they dont care if this takes them next door - or into the pub garden in your case.

Unless you are looking at breeding dont get a cockerel 0 it will drive you and your neighbours insane! Plus just check on getting ex-battery hens. The reason most are 'retired' are that they do not lay anymore and you could spend alot on feed and housing with little return in the way of eggs.

My parents kept chickens as I was growing up and I loved feeding the hens and playing with the chickens, they were pets as much as a source of food, good luck with it.

Thanks for that, very helpful :D

Does anyone have any experiences of keeping chickens or ducks they can share with me? Also, any guidelines for sized enclosures please.

I know nothing about keeping chickens, but on another forum I go on, quite a few of them have an eglu to keep their chickens in and seem to rave about it.

Depending where you live make sure it is fox proof - ie has an enclosed top on the run for when you go out and at night.

I phoned environmental health at SCC and they said it was fine to keep them in a domestic garden. It seemed hard to believe there are no regulations, I cant believe more people don't! They said I could call back if I wanted more info as they can advise you on how to. Give them a call, no will be on the SCC website.

I decided against it as living in the middle of a terraced area I thought it a little unfair for my neighbours....

If youv'e not got a lot of space either I would recommend bantis though - small chucks and nice eggs :0)

e x

If you have a look on http://www.farmingads.co.uk or somethig live Firday ads or other tradersites you will find pleany of chicks, henc, eggs, runs and houses etc for sale.

I am wanting to get 2 or 3 chickens in my garden (garden is about 220m2)

It is an ex-council house, and in the deeds it says no live stock, but have heard you can get this changed, does anyone know how

We live in clifton, rotherham.

Is anyone else keeping chickens in there garden @ rotherham. Did you have to contact the council.

Any advice is welcome

It is an ex-council house, and in the deeds it says no live stock, but have heard you can get this changed, does anyone know how

Is anyone else keeping chickens in there garden @ rotherham. Did you have to contact the council.

Any advice is welcome

you can wright to the council for permission phone them to find out what department to wright too

goodluck :)

Any advice is welcome

Beware of foxes! I kept a couple of chickens in my garden when I lived back in Birmingham, and I thought they were well locked up at night, but a fox got one of them, so I had to re-home the other.