Oh dear..."Programming in C"...

Looking for something else this evening, I came across some old coursework I'd done some 7 years ago...."Programming in C", using a compiler called Pacific (?)

Just idling through the pages whet my appetite again - you know how these bright ideas get you! It also struck me that I'd forgotten virtually everything I'd managed to learn!

So, a modern day question for you - is there any point at all in starting it again?

Obviously things have moved on apace since those days, but C was always regarded as a good grounding point.....is that completely out of the window now?

If so, what should I tackle, before the impulse wears off?!

Pascal is where it's at.

:)

You jest? All the Pascal developers I know are desperately trying to get into C# as the Pascal and certainly Delphi demand has hit rock bottom.

However, it is far far nicer to learn and use than C.

Web based programming is probably the way to go

Pascal is where it's at.

:)

Gah! Pascal was the single most unless thing I was forced to learn at Uni.

I too learned C and pascal back in the day, while I agree they offer good grounding and insight into the (slightly) lower level workings of modern programming languages (being function-based and faffing about with pointers and things) I'd say, short of nostalgia, there's little benefit in learning them again.

Personally, keeping up with the new developments in C# alone keep me busy enough!

I'd recommend learning Java if I were to learn a new language these days - either that or Perl, applying it to PHP development.

Applications are moving to the internet, and whilst there will always be local applications, the money seems to be in web based programming.

Really? I'd say C#, Ruby or possibly even Python are the up and coming languages these days.

I learned Java at uni but it's not a patch on the more recent web development languages.

Have a look at the Programming Languages chart on here: http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/sheffield/programmer.do

I agree with MrAndrew,

There are some excellent free c# tools available - sharpdevelop is worth having a look at.

I think Java and C# are good languages, you can do normal apps or web development in both. They are quite similar to each other, although java has abit of an advantage with being able to run on anything, maybe you can get a job programming Blu-Ray interactivity when the market develops ;)

grab a copy of M$ (yes I know) Visual Studio Express 2008 it gives you express versions of SQL Server 2005, Visual Basic 2008, Visual C# 2008, Visual C++ 2008, Visual Web Developer 2008 all for free with an unrestricted license so you can build commercial applications if you want

also if you grab the 2005 version you can have Visual J# 2005 again free and unrestricted

lots to play with and you can make your own mind up which you like best and if it's worth learning the language