Wilkinsons Darnall

It was a Tesco in 1978. I used to go there.

Wigfalls furniture store were there in the 50's - 60's, before that Darnall Cinema.

Your thinking of the Morrisons behind the front row of shops, this is now ALDI. The on he's on about is the Wilkinsons directly opposite the Wellington Pub, bang nex door to the lighting shop.

Hey...my memories playing tricks now....did this used to be some sort of bus terminus?

Gosh, no idea where that came from, but I still remember Cravans and the old Co-op dairy just before the bridge, where the Arena is now, with the model cow stood in the bay window type thing. Dad worked at Firth Browns and Grandama lived down Britnall Street...lol

I can remember the lighting shop being Wigfalls .I also remember the old Co-op Dairy as I used to work at the Co-op Warehouse offices which were also there.I can't remember what wilko's was but the Cinema used to be there somewhere.

It was definately tescos ,my mother was a checkout lady.

Yes I remember now it was Tesco and Wigfalls and they were built where the cinema used to be.

it was tesco where wilkinson's is and the lighting shop used to be matthews furniture shop wigfalls was the other side of tesco's at the side the bookies.

Yes I remember now it was Tesco and Wigfalls and they were built where the cinema used to be.

hiya its a long time ago but i thought it was the same building that was the darnall cinema ( the little dick ) on reading the other posts some of the postees can't go back to the 40s and 50s when i was talking about, i remember seeing the durango kid aka charles starrett for the first time at the little dick.

Edited by willybite

Definitely Tesco....I remember Freddie Garrity of Freddie and the Dreamers fame opening the store in the late 60's when we still lived in Darnall.

Definitely Tesco....I remember Freddie Garrity of Freddie and the Dreamers fame opening the store in the late 60's when we still lived in Darnall.

before tescos it was deserted was an old cinema

before tescos it was deserted was an old cinema

And if i remember correctly the the cinemas nickname was the Little Dick

When this store first opened, sometime in the late 60s as I recall, it was originally as a supermarket. I believe it was Tesco.

My Wife, who is from Darnall, remembers it opening. She seems to recall that it was opened by the Beatles. I was working in Darnall at the time and seem to remember some excitement about its opening.

Can anyone please confirm.

I have just been informed by the missus that it was Freddy Garrity of Freddy an the Dreamers, i'm not sure if the whole band was there or if it was just Freddy though.