King Edwards Hospital, 1965

my brother ron was at rivelin for a long time ,in the 50s TB hip .HERZOG ringsa bell

I was in Rivilin from 1950 to 1955 with a TB hip. Does any one know what the proper name is for that condition?. We were always told by the doctors that is what we had, but I was led to believe that TB affected the lungs.

By the way both myself and my wife knew Mike Kelly many years ago.

I was in Rivilin from 1950 to 1955 with a TB hip. Does any one know what the proper name is for that condition?. We were always told by the doctors that is what we had, but I was led to believe that TB affected the lungs.

Hi Michael Kelly was my husband and he spent many years in King edwards hospital This is where we met as I nursed him and eventually we married I was lucky enough to spend 43 years of marriage with Mike ans sadly we lost him last year .Re your condition There was no other name for it It was TB and was treated by the dreaded injections of Streptomycin which was like glue Tb does affect the lungs which is "open TB" but it can affect bone too Luckily we don't hear so much of it these days thank goodness As a matter of interest what iis your name as probably if you knew mike then maybe I nursed you too If you don't want to publically disclose your name then please email me at [email protected] my maiden name was Hewitt and I nursed with Ann Breakwell , Sue Harper ,Barbara Healy ,Janet Swift if any of these ring any bells

Hello and thanks so much to everyone for memories of King Ted's. I did my Orthopaedic nurse training with Patsyfagin in the sixties but as I didn't do my SRN when I went back to work at Rivelin in the seventies it was as an auxilliary. Didn't matter...........it was still a wonderful place and I can honestly say that the years spent there (about 11 in all) were some of the happiest in my life. It was such a special place with special people both staff and patients. We learn't such a lot from Mr Herzog and orthopaedic surgeons like Mr Sharrard. I don't think we were scared of them - just had a healthy respect! And of course there was the theatre sister - Sister Eyre - now she was scary but we loved her. On the rare occasion we had an infected wound on a ward Sister Eyre would come thundering down the corridor and onto the ward to inspect it! We could do with her around today!

Patsyfagin mentions Mr Herzog's bungalow in the grounds - it was made of wood and covered in Virginia Creeper which was beautiful in Autumn. When he'd left the bungalow, I think he'd retired byt this time, I pulled a piece of creeper off and got it to root. It's now climbing up the front of my house more than 35 years later. I also helped myself to a few Mombretia from the garden and that too is growing in my garden & brings back happy memories.

I hope Patsyfagin gets a copy of Mr Herzog's book because I'll be round to borrow it Pat if you do.

My wifes name is Annette, a good friend of Joyce and Alan Wood, former patiants in Rivilin

Ron Osborne spent about eight years in rivilin remember him strung up:),christmas day our toys would arive :), then disappear to rivilin the next day :(.

My wifes name is Annette, a good friend of Joyce and Alan Wood, former patiants in Rivilin

what is your name I may have nursed you

David Dyson.

I had TB in my knee, it can affect any part of the body There were patients with TB of the spine and TB of the ankle when I was in hospital in 1965

history project about the hospital. did the hospital employ any ground workers, maintainance people eg. gardeners,and surrounding woodland workers from opening of 1916 to closing of 1992.

Hi OLD No 12 - they did employ gardeners - I don't have any details, but a friend of my nephew's was an apprentice gardener there in the 1970s. Hope this helps..:)

I was a patient at king Edwards in 1962/63, and just wondered if anyone recalls what life was like in the hospital. I was on ward d and was there for 9 months. We had schooling Monday to Fridays. And I recall once a fortnight a young couple came and showed us a film. Once when the panto came to sheffield the cast visited us jimmy clithero signed my autograph book.

---------- Post added 30-12-2012 at 13:50 ----------

I was very interested in seeing comments from mr sharrads son mike. Mr sharrads was a excellent doctor, I started with curvature of the spine when I was 10 years old, and was operated on in 1962 . I recall before my op they plastered me up to my chin and down my knees which I found very uncomfortable , the nurses put me out to dry! On the balcony... I'm thankful I only wore that for one day. Sister eyre was the plaster room nurse and no one messed with her!! Many years later in my twenties I went to see mr sharrad at his lovely big house, I had a slipped disc and he was going to put it back in place under anaesthetic at Claremont . He said to me you and I have known each other for a few years now, then he showed me my X-rays and photos I had took at the childrens hospital, we had a really good laugh. I was so privileged to have know him

Hi,I was in king edward between the years of 1965- 1972, having operations on my feet. The consultant I was under was called Mr Dornum.