King Edwards Hospital, 1965

Suzy Q,

You intrigue me on the name of Nurse Marshman, and wonder where she originated.

I also remember King Edwards V11 hospital , visiting there a few times in the 1950's , with June Wood and her School of Dance group putting on shows for entertainment,with my late mother Peggy Marshman , who provided the piano accompanmient. This was a special place , and remember well a lot of the patients being entertained.

Without a car,I remember we needed to use the No.2 circular bus.

Gary Marshman

North wales

What years was your Dad in King Edwards?. I remember they used to put us outside about May and bring us back in about September. I was there from 1950 to 1954/5.

Re: King Edward VII Hospital on Rivelin Valley

When I was little my father used to sing a song to me from his time in Rivelin. I don't know if I remember all the words.

"Mother, mother fetch me home

From this convalescence home

I've been here a year or two

Now I want to come to you

Here comes a nurse with a red hot poltice

Slaps it on and takes no notice

Ahhh says the patient that's too hot

Ah says the nurse I'm sure it's not

Goodbye to Dr Patterson

and all the patients to

?(Goodbye to Rivelin too and

Jolly old Matron too)

I am trying to understand more about my father's experiences in and out of this hospital for nine years between the years 1936 (aged 2) and 1955. He was being treated for TB. I am researching so that I can write a family book.

(There was a happy ending as my father met my mother who was nursing here and they had a happy life together.)

Please do any of you know of any written accounts about the treatment of TB, personal accounts or photographs? It feels as if little is known about this time and place. I strongly believe this experience for so many children needs to be remembered and recorded.

Anything you feel able to share would be very much appreciated.

When I was little my father used to sing a song to me from his time in Rivelin. I don't know if I remember all the words.

Goodbye to Dr Patterson

and all the patients to

Jolly old Matron too)

I am trying to understand more about my father's experiences in and out of this hospital for nine years between the years 1936 (aged 2) and 1955. He was being treated for TB. I am researching so that I can write a family book.

(There was a happy ending as my father met my mother who was nursing here and they had a happy life together.)

Please do any of you know of any written accounts about the treatment of TB, personal accounts or photographs? It feels as if little is known about this time and place. I strongly believe this experience for so many children needs to be remembered and recorded.

I thought that only me remembered that song, I was taught it in Rivelin, about 1950, I still sing it to my grand daughter, but with the words slightly altered to suit the school she goes to.

When I told my wife that the words to that song was on the forum, she started singing it straight away. She was in Rivelin in the 1950s also.

My mum was a nurse at the hospital around 1953. Her name was Jean Rider and she was at one time a ward sister. She was part of the Christmas pantos they used to have - the photo I had looks a bit like Robin Hood. She was alao there when Billy Smart's Circus paid a visit and when Wilfred Pickles came one Christmas. I'm pretty sure she would have left by 1957 as that was after she got married, and the year her first child was born. She married John Philip Abrahams, who was a school teacher.

I'm making a memory book for her as she sadly now has Alzheimers, but I would be thrilled if anyone has any memories of her I can put in the book

Thanks

Lesley (middle daughter)

I was interviewed on the Wilfred Pickles show when they broadcast from Rivelin, I believe Violet Carson ( Ena Sharples played the piano.

Some of the stars who played at the Empire theatre used to put a show on at the hospital. remember Tesse O'Shea, who played the banjo, Winifred Attwell,(Piano), and of course there was also the circus.

O was in king Edwards 1955-57 age 13  Dr Herzog was my consultant  i was on one for 6 seems then a1

I remember we want  Dr Herzog will you marry me. And another called we are the a1 girls.

Gran

On 04/06/2008 at 20:51, DIDO said:

One day I will get round to sorting my photos out on Photo bucket. I have a photo taken on ward B3, when Billy Smarts Cicus came to visit. Ithink it was taken about 1953.

So have I. It has Coco the Clown standing over my bed looking at me.

On 29/08/2014 at 13:16, iyaana said:

Goodbye to Dr Patterson

and all the patients to

Jolly old Matron too)

I was in several times between about 1949 and 1964. I do have quite a few photos of my stay there, but I haven't figured out how to load them onto this site yet. I only joined it a few minutes ago. When I suss it, I'll put them on. Dr. Herzog and Mr. Holdsworth were my consultants.

Edited by Billy Ross

On 31/12/2012 at 13:18, DIDO said:

When I was in Rivilin visiting was every other Sunday for two hours, so I only saw my parents twice a month.

I was in there when Wilfred Pickles did his christmas day radio broadcast and I was interviewed live on air, Violet Carson was on the piano.

Me too. That's when I found out that Wilfred Pickles shared my birthday.