King Edwards Hospital, 1965

My consultant was Dr Hertzog, & he used to also be in attendance at Firth Park Clinic, where I had to go for physio. Is he still around, does anyone know?

he was my consultant as well i was in there from 1961 till 1963 i saw in the paper a couple of yrs ago hed passed away ,

Hi Magstherags - it was lovely to read your recollections of Dr John Sharrard. I think all his patients will remember him with affection - a fine doctor. Earlier this year I found a photo of him on a website and downloaded it to my hard drive - here is a link.

Dr Erich Herzog, another fine orthopaedic surgeon, lived to the age of 90 and died in Manchester in 1997.

Thanks Hillsbro for the photo of mr sharard , it's just how I remembered him. I was very sad when the hospital closed after all it was my home for nine months! It had all the ingredients to get well.. Lovely grounds and great views of the countryside, swimming pool , and a cafe which opened on Sundays when visiting wad for two hours. The other days for visiting was Tuesdays and Thursdays for one hour.the winter of 62/63 was really bad and my relatives walked from malin bridge to the hospital to see me because buses stopped running, the snow was so thick and it lasted ages. Dr Herzog was also a lovely man and very dedicated to his job

When I was in Rivilin visiting was every other Sunday for two hours, so I only saw my parents twice a month.

I was in there when Wilfred Pickles did his christmas day radio broadcast and I was interviewed live on air, Violet Carson was on the piano.

Thanks Hillsbro for the photo of mr sharard , it's just how I remembered him...
After a bit more surfing I found that the photo is from an obituary that appeared in a medical journal - here is a link. So he worked under Frank Holdsworth at the Infirmary - my dad was a patient of his following an accident at Firth Browns in 1941. And I never knew he was a talented musician who also spoke fluent French!

Mr Sharrard and his team certainly did a good job with the five fractures I collected in a road accident in 1972, so that I'm still fit and active 40 years later. My goodness - is it really as long ago as that....?.:o

hiya hillsbro dis you by ANY CHANCE GO TO WISEWOOD SCHOOL?

---------- Post added 31-12-2012 at 22:05 ----------

HELLO SOULSISTER YOU WAS IN KING EDWARDS Sme time as me was you on ward d?

hiya hillsbro dis you by ANY CHANCE GO TO WISEWOOD SCHOOL?
No - Malin Bridge, then King Edward's (school, not hospital!). My big sister went to Wisewood (Valerie Robinson). Happy New Year!.:)

i went to malin bridge from 1955 to 1961. then wisewood 61/65

Seems I'm a couple of years older - I am on the far left, second row back in this 1959 photo (Philip Robinson).

hi hillsbro are you the one behind moira jackson? i knew her very well sadly she died a couple of years ago, i used to live on stanninton rd so knew the jackson family very well. and i see in the photo mr courage and mr hawley. happy new year!!

hi hillsbro are you the one behind moira jackson? i knew her very well sadly she died a couple of years ago, i used to live on stanninton rd so knew the jackson family very well. and i see in the photo mr courage and mr hawley. happy new year!!
Ashley Davis is directly behind Moira - I am between Ashley and Frank Courage. Ashley lived at the top of Wood Road (still does I think). Very sorry to hear that Moira has died - five of us classmates got together for the school's centenary in 2005. Somewhere I have a Word file with a list of names - I'll PM it to you when I find it. Happy New Year!

Ron Osborne spent about eight years in rivilin remember him strung up:),christmas day our toys would arive :), then disappear to rivilin the next day :(.
his Dr herzog