Tinsley cooling towers megathread

Are you going to see the towers come down?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to see the towers come down?

• Yes cant wait!
    • No wouldnt waste my time!

It says on the link above..

Thank you. I will go via Brightside Lane then if that's open.

wot ive been told to find out by my mate is apparently hallam fm are there first and she wants to know if this is true????????

there's an article about the towers on their website and something about being able to watch a video, but nothing about them actually being there

Does anyone know what the traffic situation around meadowhall im coming from manchester and dont want a wasted journey if its to busy cheers

Am I going to be wasting my time setting off about 02:20 from town, the car park looks pretty jammed already. There's no way I'm sitting around meadowhall for 3hrs though so it's that or miss it, I just wanna go for the experience rather than to shed a tear or 2, it's only concrete afterall...

Does anyone know what the traffic situation around meadowhall im coming from manchester and dont want a wasted journey if its to busy cheers

The M1 will be closed now and the viaduct so you will have to take an alternative, traffic will be diverted and i think quite a lot are going to watch so it will get busy, will be better if you set off sooner rather than later

The following information is provided by Sheffield City Council on their website:

Tinsley Cooling Towers will be demolished by the site owners E.ON UK in the early hours of Sunday 24th August 2008, when traffic levels will be at their lowest. Please see below for details of road closures and viewing opportunities whilst the demolition takes place.

Road Closures

The following road closures will be in place:

The M1 motorway will be closed between Junctions 32 and 35 from around midnight on Saturday 23/Sunday 24 August. It is expected to remain closed for most of Bank Holiday Sunday.

The A631 Tinsley Viaduct lower deck between, and including, the Tinsley and Meadowhall roundabouts will also be closed.

Drivers heading north will leave the M1 at J32, join the M18 northbound and the M62 westbound, rejoining the M1 at J42. The reverse route should be followed by drivers travelling south. Clearly-signed diversions will be in place.

Motorists are advised to allow extra time for their journeys.

For more information visit the Highways Agency website or call their 24-hour voice activated phone service on 08700 660 115 (calls from BT landlines to 0870 numbers will cost no more than 8p per minute; mobile calls usually cost more).

Viewing Opportunities at Meadowhall Shopping Centre

Meadowhall will be leaving all car parks open throughout the night on Saturday 23rd August, but the best views of the towers are from the upper yellow, blue and pink car parks. They will also be making their toilet facilities available in the centre throughout the night, and whilst the licensed restaurants in the centre are normally open until 11pm, some caterers may be open later on the Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Comedy on Jenkin hill there was a police van trying to come up but as there was cars parked on both sides he couldnt go up cos there were cars coming down and couldnt reverse cos of cars coming up Jenkin :hihi:. It took about 10 mins before the police van managed to get through then after drivers just got out ther cars in middle of road just in time to see the tinsley towers to come down. I thought it would of been on TV on local news when i got back so I could got closer look but theres no news on it to be found.

jus got bck OMG, it was over sooo fast..:(

AM note

There's now a sticky above, so I'm closing this one to stop any confusion (and it would take about a year to merge everything together).

Any problems, you know the drill ......

Ta.