Tinsley cooling towers megathread

Are you going to see the towers come down?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to see the towers come down?

• Yes cant wait!
    • No wouldnt waste my time!

RobS35 - some nice photo's, you need to soften your HDR though, it looks cartoony and unrealistic rather than rich and detailed.

I'll probably watch it from Tyler Street since the sound of demolition explosives will no doubt wake me up anyway.

Ive been told there is a yard next to the towers which will let you go in but they are charging........

Noooooo! The towers! My precious towers! Cant believe they are going down! Gutted, my grandad used to work there and everything, Sheffield will not be the same! :(

Luke

That article says they'll be coming down on Sunday morning, but I've just heard a radio advert saying it'll be Saturday. :confused:

I wont need to go. I will feel the tremors from it.

It'd be nice if they would say to you "be here at this time if you want to see it", as if I get up at that hour in the morning, and get there, to find I've missed it - I'll NOT be happy!!!!

As previosly posted the Towers will be blown down At 3am SUNDAY morning , traffic diversions &footpath & road closures will start to happen from aprox 10:30 pm Sat evening

Hey does anybody have ideas for what they could have done with the towers to update them...

I reckon they should have kept them and used them for absailing! How cool would that be!

Any more ideas?!..

As previosly posted the Towers will be blown down At 3am SUNDAY morning , traffic diversions &footpath & road closures will start to happen from aprox 10:30 pm Sat evening

I've just never seen anything official saying "blown at 3am", and I don't want to get there to find it's already been done - as I found with Jordanthorpe tower blocks a few years back!

Can you imagine if they blow the viaduct up aswell by accident that would be soooo funny :hihi:, or do I just have a sick sence of humour lol.

I don't know if it's widely known that these are the oldest cooling towers still standing, certainly in the UK and possibly on a global scale. The photographer Bernd Becher took pictures of many in Germany and the USA which were all in a derelict, pre-demolition state, between the 1960s and 1990s.

I have a photo project under way, but can't post a link as yet. The images are hosted by photobucket.