Thornebridge Grammar School

Thornebridge Grammar School

I and three mates used to go to Thorn(e)bridge Grammer School. It was during the six weeks holidaze in 1965, 1966, 1967 to put the windows through and to **** a SNOOK. We got court in 1966 and had to go to Renishaw caught where we deservedly got find and given a stern warning as to our future conduct. To show their were no hard feelings we went back in the summer of 1967 to put some moor winders threw. Yes, you've gesst rite we were thugs from Burley School neckst door! Excuse the spelling I only went to a secondry modden scool!

OH ZAKESY!!!

You are such a comic! But please, just stick to threads about Birley School so we Old Thornbridge Boys won't have to employ an interpreter to read your posts.

My sister, Kathleen (Kay) Gregory went to Thornbridge Grammar from 1952 to 1964. Does that name ring a bell with anyone?

Alan Gregory

Hi limeybeans, new on the site too, just working our way through the 167 pages of posts and its taking us weeks. Just thought I had to reply to your post even though its nearly 2 years old. I was somewhat taken aback (you can tell I went to Thornbridge Grammar) at the response - or lack of - that you received. Who are these Phillistines? Just because you live in Canada and we live in Auz, we deserve better treatment, don't you think? (They are probably all Birley School thugs :hihi:) I enjoyed my time at Thornbridge - '61 to '66 and have many fond memories. I'll wait to see if you're still on the forum after the battering you took . . .

I was there from 61 to 66 as well. had a BIG crush on Miss Cox, geography teacher.

robert larson (melbourne OZ)

1976-80 cookery teacher,we called her "kiki"the frog,looking back she was quite good looking,got it parkinson!

My sister, Kathleen (Kay) Gregory went to Thornbridge Grammar from 1952 to 1964. Does that name ring a bell with anyone?

Alan Gregory

Thornbridge grammar wasnt there in 1952,it was a few years after that

Yes, good point Palman. I admit that my question wasn't very precise.

Just found this site,left thornbridge in 1967.Haven't been back there since a reunion in 1990.

I left Thornbridge in 1968 and haven't been to any reunions since. I spent most of my time there scared out of my wits and frantically trying to keep up in totally alien subjects - Latin, Trigonometry et al. I wish I had stayed on in the 6th form as it seemed to be a bit more relaxed then.

I attended Birley Junior School on its first day in September 1953. A few months earlier the school , newly built, had been opened so that two televisions could be put in two of the classrooms for people to watch the Coronation. Before this we were bused to a school in Ridgeway. The Headmaster was Mr. Kenneth Gillies. When his daughter came to the school she and I became friends and I remember going on trips with her and her parents to Alton Towers and a day trip to Filey. We would also have tea at each others houses. I always felt I had to be on my best behaviour because of who her father was. Not sure I always succeeded! The infant, grammar and secondary modern schools had not been built then. I was one of the second intake to Thornbridge Grammar. My first form teacher was Dr. Haslam who I thought was wonderful. I remember many of the teachers from that time - most of them already mentioned on this Forum - apart from one - Mr. John who taught both maths and music. Sadly, my parents moved house in 1961 and I left Thornbridge. I have fond memories of my time at both these schools.

I too started there on its first day in 53,booth and fisher buses used to take us to ridgway school,where we went for dinner across the road. Mr Gillies,I remember him well,I think he lived at Ridgeway on the main road to Ford

I was also at Birley Infants in 1953, did Booth & Fisher buses take us to the swimming baths at Clowne for our swimming lessons?

I then went on to Birley Secondary Modern and started on its first day of opening in August 1954, it was a wonderful modern school and it gave me a great education that has helped me all my life.