Grass seed or turf

Dear all,

I have just dug over my garden and want to grass it. Is it better to lay turf or grow grass from seed?

Many thanks in advance.

I would have thought turf would be best, but seed is cheaper.:cool:

seed is cheaper but the birds love it!

turf, more expensive but instant!

Ive had good results from both, wilkinsons are the cheapest/best for seed if your giving that a go

We have recently seeded some balding areas of our lawn and now it looks even worse as the bald patches ahve turned to very green patches which look even more out of place!

We have just turfed our garden and it was such an instant transformation I can't imagine having to wait for weeks before it was useable with seed. Lawn is more expensive but was definitely the best option for us. It would get pretty expensive if you had a large garden but for inner-city patches it's awesome. Takes some watering though!

Hi all,

Any recommendations for decent turf retailer in Sheffield? I was initially put off from my parents' turfed lawn which turned yellow when taking a few steps on it but dunno if seeds would grow quick enough to get a usable lawn this summer...

I wouldn't recommend walking on a seeded lawn this summer.

Any recommendations for decent turf retailer in Sheffield? I was initially put off from my parents' turfed lawn which turned yellow when taking a few steps on it but dunno if seeds would grow quick enough to get a usable lawn this summer...

I would be happy to recommend our supplier.

anyone know good cheap place to buy turf in sheffield please!!!

A1 are the supplier i'm currently using, not had a bad batch for over 2 years, and they replaced that.