Car overturned on park square roundabout

I saw it at about 9.30 - the only sign of the accident was the actual car facing the wrong way on the round about on the outside lane to go down Sheaf Street, with a police car next to it with its lights on.

The car had obviously had the roof cut off and the windscreen all seemed pretty much intact but on the side of the road.

Someone mentioned about it probably being nudged by another car and hitting the side of the road - I can see that happening because where it was, the banking at the side of the road is quite steep.

Originally posted by saxon51

Nice to know that half the world's armies (including the British) have been using these 'Hairdresser's cars' for the past 50 years because of their ruggedness, stability, dependability and adaptability.

.... and government subsidies that they need to recoup.

My 110SW was a complete bag of nails. Glad when I changed it for a Jeep that went all the same difficult places with the same confidence except it was in air conditioned leather lined heated seat CD player luxury.

Land Rover = drain on the UK economy.

Park Square roundabout, like most of the roads in this damn city, has a crap surface.

Its not difficult to navigate though, it still surprises me the number of people who get the wrong lane!

One problem here is the traffic light timings. As soon as one set goes red, the other set changes to amber, so the first amber gambler risks colliding with the second amber gambler.

The traffic lights on Suffolk Road (at Columbia Place) are just as bad, i've seen 2/3 smashes here because the lights change too soon.

Nobody seems to know if anyone was hurt; is this a bad sign? Hope not, I hate things like that.

K x

Originally posted by dinp

One problem here is the traffic light timings. As soon as one set goes red, the other set changes to amber, so the first amber gambler risks colliding with the second amber gambler.

The traffic lights on Suffolk Road (at Columbia Place) are just as bad, i've seen 2/3 smashes here because the lights change too soon.

Arguably, people run amber/red lights because they know they have time to. You should never set off on green until you've checked there are no joy riders or fire engines coming :D

Originally posted by Tony

.... and government subsidies that they need to recoup.

My 110SW was a complete bag of nails. Glad when I changed it for a Jeep that went all the same difficult places with the same confidence except it was in air conditioned leather lined heated seat CD player luxury.

Land Rover = drain on the UK economy.

Dunno about subsidies, Ford own LandRover now, BMW before that. Both invested in new models, BMW raided the knowledge pool for the X5, then sold 'em to a willing buyer.

As for the military connection, they are well regarded, definitely the vehicle of choice for UK troops, and even the US special forces have been lobbying to be allowed to buy them, successfully, they now have a fleet, and have used them in Iraq and Afghanistan (that I know of).

Farmers too tend towards the Defender, rather than the more urbanised variants, c'mon how many Cherokees do you see "down the farm".

I agree with you on pretty much all counts there foo_fighter. I was making the point that Landrovers are abysmally unreliable.

I've had 4 different 4x4's, which I use for the purpose intended as well as in town and the motorway. I have to say that out of all of them the LR was the worst.

The military have a big LR spares pool and the parts are bolt on, bolt off in the main. The US like em because they are small and nimble compared to the ridiculous and useless behemoth truck that is the Hummer. The military also don't dress them up with air con, leather, radios, satnav or the other things that we all like nowadays. The very basic LR is fine providing you have half a dozen together and a few spare parts and a mechanic..

I know 5 people with new Range Rovers, and all have ongoing problems. I know 4 people with Porsche Cayenne's, and none have had a moment of hassle. I gues that isn't much of a recommendation for LR.

Isn't this a bit OT ;)

Originally posted by Tony

I know 5 people with new Range Rovers, and all have ongoing problems. I know 4 people with Porsche Cayenne's, and none have had a moment of hassle. I gues that isn't much of a recommendation for LR.

Well aren't we in with the Chelsea set.

5 Range Rovers and 4 Cayennes amongst your friends, do you live on the Wybourne? ;)

I know LRs reputation for reliabilty hasn't been great recently, and don't doubt your figures, but they are *supposed* to be improving. I'm not hearing good things about the FreeLander though.

I've had a few "old school" LRs, including a Series2A-SWB (2.25 petrol), and a 110 County (3.5 V8 ) at the extremes. The SWB was brilliant, the V8 was nails (couldn't keep the carbs in balance for love nor money), so my impressions are mixed.

In general I find the diesels better, but I'm aware there have still been issues. Go for a (more) basic Defender diesel (like the military and farmers) do, and they're pretty good, and quite easy to work on, it's the "posh" stuff that seems to get iffy, in my experience.

chavs!!!!! in SHEFFIELD, you're joking!!!!!!!!:heyhey:

Originally posted by julz

chavs!!!!! in SHEFFIELD, you're joking!!!!!!!!:heyhey:

Welcome to another new member :P

Originally posted by saxon51

Nice to know that half the world's armies (including the British) have been using these 'Hairdresser's cars' for the past 50 years because of their ruggedness, stability, dependability and adaptability.

Hairdresseers have to off-road sometimes too you know, to get to those remote customers in Ranmoor, with the long twisty gravel drives.

Aggghh, Foo fighter and Tony are at it again...

Run for cover everyone, it's about to blow!

:D