Does anyone remember the 'Sick Club' run at the Ball Inn, Myrtle Rd, Heeley?

As a child in the 50's I used to go there with my Dad when he paid money into what I would term a sick club. Anyone with similar knowledge of this. What was this organisation, what was it called, how long did it operate, when did it cease operation. Presumably an outcome of pre benefit days ?

Slightly off subject, but worth a mention. Sometimes I would stay on the Havelock railway bridge whilst he went up to the Ball. I was always fascinated in the passing trains. Hundreds of kids have stood on the stonework at the side of the bridge. If you look when passing, the stonework has been worn away by all those feet.

Memories also of playing football at the Ball in the final of the Clegg Shield in 1962.

My GGgrandfather was Publican there in the 1870's.

As a child in the 50's I used to go there with my Dad when he paid money into what I would term a sick club. Anyone with similar knowledge of this. What was this organisation, what was it called, how long did it operate, when did it cease operation. Presumably an outcome of pre benefit days ?

Slightly off subject, but worth a mention. Sometimes I would stay on the Havelock railway bridge whilst he went up to the Ball. I was always fascinated in the passing trains. Hundreds of kids have stood on the stonework at the side of the bridge. If you look when passing, the stonework has been worn away by all those feet.

Memories also of playing football at the Ball in the final of the Clegg Shield in 1962.

My dad lived opposite the ball for over 40 yrs is name is Brian aka bruno

He also played football for Ball Albion then went on to manage the team

I have posted a thread for info as I am researching on behalf of someone writing a book about sat and sun league football in the 70's 80's

any info would be gratefully received (good or bad)

JJ

My uncle JacK Robertson lived on Tthornborough Rd and belonged to the Buffs who met at the Ball Inn.

When he died the Buffs were very good to my Aunt and I'm sure she received a small amount of money from them fairly regularly

Is this the organisation you mean.

hazel

Hi hazel and thanks for your reply.

I am sure that it wasn't the ' Buffs ' but certainly not 100% sure !

Do you have any more info re which Lodge they represented. I think that is the terminology used ( Lodge ) when talking about the Royal and Ancient Order of Buffaloes.

It may have been what was termed some form of Friendly Society i.e. Oddfellows.

If I could just find the name given to the Sick Club, then the organisation if still in existence may hopefully have retained some records.

My Mum Carol Parkin was a barmaid in the Ball in the '70's. She doesn't know of the club though. She grew up on Myrtle Road, just opposite the top of Heeley Green.:)

My Grandfather was the Secretary for 30 years of a "Sick & Divide Society" as it was called, at The Sportsman Inn, which used to on Marcus Street, Pitsmoor. Alas the pub is no more, neither is the street for that matter.

This "Sick Club" was for the railway workers who worked at Bridgehouses Goods Yard nearby.

If you were ill and could not go into work you didn't get paid. So this was kind of an insurance, which you paid into, from your wages every week. When you were off work with no pay, the "Society" looked into your case and they paid you some money to tide you over until you returned to work.

My G'Father died in 1936 so I reckon this must have been round about the turn of the last century, early 1900's. I don't know how long they existed, but I presume it was a least until the NHS started in 1948.

So I suppose most firms had these "Clubs" all over Sheffield.

Good old days eh?

regards Capricorn_11

My Mum remembers going with her Dad to pay into his sick club on a Friday night when she was a child so this was in the late 1920's - 1930's. They lived on the Manor but had to go somewhere down Broomhall to pay the money in.