Hillsborough Park event-rubbish

no but people have said that it was rubbish before and even before the event people were saying it was going to be rubbish so why go

MAry, normally I would question you as to whether you always listened to what other people thought or made your own mind up. On this occasion I wish I had listened, while the children we took enjoyed it, it was expensive and dissapointing.

Positives was that Heeley city farm were represented and as always are great. The falconry display was good as well, but to market this as being green is a lot of spin. Anyone walking away with a green message from the day must have gone to a different event to me.

2 quid to park and 4 quid to get in seemed a bit much, but I would be interested to see if the money made goes into green concerns.

One last thing, the announcer wasn't very good. It reminded me of alan Partridge at the summer fete. hehehehee he sounded dull, bored and had no idea what he was saying. It made I laugh.

There was a poll asking how much people would be prepared to pay and there was a VERY definite verdict that £4 was far too much, it seems a shame the organizers didn't listen.

........ but I would be interested to see if the money made goes into green concerns.

My understanding is that any surplus (not sure that there will be any) would go to the organising charity, Green City Action.

Their objectives can be seen below, some of which are "green":

"a) the relief of poverty of persons resident in the Burngreave, Firvale, Pitsmoor and Firth Park districts of the City of Sheffield (the area of benefit) by the provision or loan of tools to people who would not ordinarily be able to afford such equipment

b) the relief and education of all local children by the provision of therapeutic, educational and stimulating toys, books and equipment.

c) the advancement of education by providing a lending library where books other educational materials can be borrowed.

d) to advance public education about all aspects of waste generation waste management and waste recycling

e) to preserve and protect the physical and natural environment for the public benefit through the promotion of waste reduction re-use reclamation and recycling of waste materials

f) the relief of people with mental health problems through horticulture and gardening.

g) to provide transport for the use of charitable organisations and/or charitable groups based in the area of benefit who are affiliated to the organisation, or individuals in specific need by reason of poverty sickness or disability

h) the preservation and protection of good health of women resident within the area of benefit.

i) to provide or assist in the provision of facilities for recreation or other leisure time occupation for such women in the interests of social welfare and with a view to improving their conditions of life."

"a) the relief of poverty of persons resident in the Burngreave, Firvale, Pitsmoor and Firth Park districts of the City of Sheffield (the area of benefit) by the provision or loan of tools to people who would not ordinarily be able to afford such equipment

oh i like that one :rolleyes:

so the event was really to give aid to Sheffields Minority groups rather than recycling or helping the environment.

oh i like that one :rolleyes:

so the event was really to give aid to Sheffields Minority groups rather than recycling or helping the environment.

Eric it said to provide tools to residents in the areas of benefit and nothing about just loaning them to BME groups.

Eric it said to provide tools to residents in the areas of benefit and nothing about just loaning them to BME groups.

well i know plenty of other people living in the Parson Cross Area in need of tools , will they get access to them ? Also isn't Parson Cross one of the poorest areas in Sheffield Too ?

any 1 remember a few years back when they had a drive in cinema in hillsborough park,gone in 60 seconds was showing,now that was a good night

LETS DO THE DRIVE IN AGAIN....

what do you folks think forumers..

lets see radio hallam do something like that again,when radio hallam was good

My understanding is that any surplus (not sure that there will be any) would go to the organising charity, Green City Action.

Their objectives can be seen below, some of which are "green":

b) the relief and education of all local children by the provision of therapeutic, educational and stimulating toys, books and equipment.

c) the advancement of education by providing a lending library where books other educational materials can be borrowed.

d) to advance public education about all aspects of waste generation waste management and waste recycling

e) to preserve and protect the physical and natural environment for the public benefit through the promotion of waste reduction re-use reclamation and recycling of waste materials

f) the relief of people with mental health problems through horticulture and gardening.

g) to provide transport for the use of charitable organisations and/or charitable groups based in the area of benefit who are affiliated to the organisation, or individuals in specific need by reason of poverty sickness or disability

h) the preservation and protection of good health of women resident within the area of benefit.

i) to provide or assist in the provision of facilities for recreation or other leisure time occupation for such women in the interests of social welfare and with a view to improving their conditions of life."

They're all worthy causes. I'm happy for any profits to go to them. Remember this isn't a one off event though - sustainability was the message and this includes economic too. If money was raised at the event (events cost a fortune to organise) then maybe it could be reinvested in other events or go towards making the same event better next year? Everyone seems to want a free event with lots of stuff happening, but the costs of fencing hire, security, stall hire, marquees, staff, promotion etc. etc. need to be covered. There are only so many grants available and in fact there seems to be fewer funding streams available than a few years ago.

sheffield always seems to have bad events i was talking to a showman the other day and he was saying the same charging 4 pound for this event is stupid i was also told that people wanted to start charging for sheffield fair if people dont turn up then the organisers have to think about the charging strategy. Look at scott barton he has gone elsewhere because of people not prepared to pay 7 pound to get into mayfest . Fright night is free and atracts a decent crowd it shows u what u can do if u have a free event .

Given the popularity of the event, I doubt that they'll have raised enough money to buy a bargain basement spade from Wilkos so a debate about the (select few) areas that benefit is quite possibly irrelevant. Do you think that anyone from Green City Action actually asked the people of Burngreave if they'd like some tools? I can't recollect them asking the people of Hillsborough whether they'd like their park closed off for the weekend so that they could hold their over-priced excuse for an event......

If you want to see it done right, go to the Strawberry Fayre on Midsummer Common at Cambridge. Why can't we have something like this in Sheffield?

If you want to see it done right, go to the Strawberry Fayre on Midsummer Common at Cambridge. Why can't we have something like this in Sheffield?

There was a really good event not long ago in Nether Edge .The weather was a contributory factor though .It was quite well managed and there was loads of people there.There was a display from belly dancers and lots of really good stalls.Who ran this one.Was it the council?

The only problem was they they ran out of food.