Hillsborough Park event-rubbish

I was agin the idea of having to pay entrance to a public park all along.

Firth Park Festival, on Sunday, 22 June, has free entrance, great food and plenty to keep everyone entertained. It's organised by local people (although the Council does offer support and some dosh) so feet are kept firmly on the ground when it comes to deciding what's going to be on offer.

I went today, in a work capacity. We were handing out Hillsborough Forum info and free wildflower seeds as part of the Green Hillsborough Campaign, (which were very well received and people seemed genuinely pleased to get them).

After I had finished I had a wander around. The music tent seemed nice, very chilled out with folks sat down with a beer or a picnic listening to the live music, I also popped my head into the circus tent where I saw children trying everything from tightrope walking to trapeze (which was all free). Obviously the animals were a big attraction, Heeley City Farm getting lots of attention with their various animals they had brought along for the visitors to pet and feed and I spent some time chatting to the lovely people at the Greyhound Rescue stand and stroking the lovely doggies :)

I was slightly discouraged by the cost of the rides at £2 a go and the food which though lovely was quite pricey and yes the inevitable pork sandwich was £3.50 so I declined, and quite disappointed that the car boot hadn't attracted as many cars as people may have expected.

The falconry display was great though and everyone seemed to be enjoying it. There were things for children to do and obviously the grown up bit was the attraction of the beer tent and music stage. The wind was very strong and quite a few people seemed to be chasing hats or losing their balloons in the high wind.

However as a first event for Green City Events in Hillsborough Park I would say it wasn't bad at all and no doubt they will learn from this weekend and build on it if they stage one next year.

NB: I am not at all connected to the event or the organisers and my opinions are based on what I saw on the day. :)

Nobody will be sacked because of this fiasco. The people who organised it will be covering their tracks as we speak. They will spin it, as a poster on here is attempting to do, this will be the message that gets out and it will be there next year.

It can't have been as tragic as the Xmas fair in Hillsborough Park surely?

Surely it should be illegal to charge access to a local park, if the local chavs were doing it, it would be classed as extortion.

My park, your park, our park.

No charge, its paid for by council tax

There is a clause to allow them to charge for events this as been occuring for years and years and years and years ie sheffield show, in encliffe park, hillsborough park and graves park

... and quite disappointed that the car boot hadn't attracted as many cars as people may have expected.

A pitch at the car boot was £10 whereas for the usual car boots at the Arena it's only £7. That may be part of the reason I would have thought.

A pitch at the car boot was £10 whereas for the usual car boots at the Arena it's only £7. That may be part of the reason I would have thought.

most car booters keep to the tried and trusted sites it takes years to build up a following for car boots one offs never do any good

the buyers like to see the same sellers each week

most buyers would be put off by paying 4 quid to get in.....I would have thought.

They quote 20,000 visitors over the two days. Anyone any idea what the real visitor figure was?

They quote 20,000 visitors over the two days. Anyone any idea what the real visitor figure was?

20? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Just come back from Hillsborough Park.Had to pay £8 for me and my husband to get in to a park,with a fair.

Since when do you have to pay to get in to a fair with a few stalls.There was heeley City Farm and a few others like Greenpeace but you normally get this kind of think on a Saturday afternoon in Fargate and it costs nothing.What a rip off.

It is on again tomorrow and I would not recommend it.

Why pay ? i'd have walked away. Cost me abit to get into roche abbey but was worth it.

There has been a few events like this before RIP-OFFS , so in my opinion i stay away!!

What worries me is that "the organisers" of this or The Highland Fling might get (or have got) there hands on the brilliant and free Sheffield Fayre at Norfolk Park.