Charging for Ice in pubs

The reason behind the 'ice in the glass' idea is down to the fact that you can't fit all of the cider in the glass at once so you take the bottle to your table.

Thus when there are many people drinking it in one bar, people take more notice of it and are encouraged to drink it as said product is seen to be 'trendy'.

Sneaky huh :)

Cobblers. The first time I saw Magners was in the Dog & Partridge for God's sake.

And you can fit it all in; in an oversize glass.

Ahh, come on Shefhoney tell us what you think???:D

Ahh, come on Shefhoney tell us what you think???:D

They did in post # 22. Cyclone quoted it.

Cobblers. The first time I saw Magners was in the Dog & Partridge for God's sake.

And you can fit it all in; in an oversize glass.

What has where you saw it first got anything to do with what i said? I don't recall saying anything about that?

It is not meant to be served in an oversized glass but a pint glass. What I said still stands as I studied the launch of the brand for my marketing degree.

This is why I very rarely post on the forum as there is always someone on here shooting you down!

why does cider not need ice its your opinion but when people buy cider like magners kopperberg ,Bulmers in the thousands i have facts and figures for a month ant work how much cider is bought vast majority is magners and bulmers so all these people cant be wrong Magners is a fantastic drink .

Cider isn't that great, but I don't drink beer and spirits make me too drunk top quick..... I have found if I alternate apple cider with pear cider - it covers 2 of my 5-a-day.

Magners, Bulmers and Strongbow are all crap.... I can say that coz I drink them.

1.) Cider should never repeat never be served with ice. It is only done so because to drink it anything other than ice cold you'll realise Magners and the like taste of knats pee. Yet the hordes still fall for the marketing and pay up for an inferior product.

2.) Try proper cider - it has flavour and doesn't need to be served at -273K.

3.) Try a different pub. If you keep going back then you deserved to be charged 20p for ice!

I'm no Big Cider buff! Magners and Bulmers is NOT Cider as Far as I'm concerned. It's never seen an Apple! You might as Well Drink Apple Tango and Call it Cider!

Real Cider is Dry and or Sweet and tastes strongly of Apples! It Is Not Ridicously Fizzy like a can of coke and shouldn't have a massive head when you pour it! and shouldn't be served at Minus temperatures!

Magner/Bulmers is to the Cider World, what Chicken Tikka Massala is to Indian Cuisuine! A Cheap Immitation of a Genuine Article!

Completely agree, always wait until I go to somerset if I drink cider as can't seem to find any decent stuff round here.

However if anyone can point me in the direction of some decent cider up here I would be very grateful!

Completely agree, always wait until I go to somerset if I drink cider as can't seem to find any decent stuff round here.

However if anyone can point me in the direction of some decent cider up here I would be very grateful!

Any of the real ale pubs will have a real cider on, especially as (I believe) the Saxon 'cidery' doesn't use apple concentrate now.

Certainly, if you count 'Old Rosie' then there are loads of places. Fat Cat would probably be the best place to go if you want to avoid the Weston's stuff.

What has where you saw it first got anything to do with what i said? I don't recall saying anything about that?

It has quite a bit to do with it, as the Dog is an Irish pub in Sheffield, with no history of having trendy drinks.

It is not meant to be served in an oversized glass but a pint glass. What I said still stands as I studied the launch of the brand for my marketing degree.

Now this will sound very arrogant (so I'll apologise in advance), but quite frankly I don't care what you studied. I'm speaking from a 'drinking in pubs' point of view. If I wanted to drink it in an oversized glass, I defy anyone to stop me. There was absolutely no advertising of Magners/Bulmers at all for quite some time after it was first served in the Dog.

This is why I very rarely post on the forum as there is always someone on here shooting you down!

If you've got a marketing degree, then listening to facts, as well as opinions might stand you in better stead .......

Anyway, sod it, happy drinking!

hi i'm kats mum i'm the landlady of the new inn (hollinsend rd) we dont charge for ice seems a silly idea but people have to make their money somehow I think my prices are quite reasonable.Its a great friendly pub you should come and see for yourselves we are on the tram route and the 51 bus route.:)

Can't do that as much as I'd like to, but its near some traffic lights!! My son said he had had a similar experience.

name the pub if it's true , you have nothing to worry about .