Dead mice under floorboards

Can anyone offer any advice? We've got a foul smell in our bedroom that is distinctive of a dead mouse. Presume its under the floorboards or in a wall cavity. Does anyone know if breathing in fumes can make you ill? We've got tummy bugs and feel rubbish, is there a connection? Also, how's the best way to get rid of the smell, will it go soon, or do we have to rip up boards? anyone with similar experience, please......:(

Know it's not funny....but I had exact same in a previous house, vile death smell in the kitchen.

Thought it was a dead mouse but it turned out to be my lads hamster who'd escaped a few weeks earlier and had met it's end in the wall cavity.

There was nothing I could do, only open the windows and it eventually goes away. For an immediate cure your going to have to lift the floor boards and search but if you decide on this, it may be an idea to put some poison down at the same time beneath the floor boards.

Do you have an old fire in the bedroom? blocked up with board? maybe a dead bird fallen down the flue.

I don't think it causes particular illness but the smell could make you sick:gag:

Same happened to me with an escaped hamster some years ago, but worse than floorboards, had got into the oven!!!! Done a check on all others family pets and they all present and correct, so think it must be a mouse. Windows open it is then. Ta

I wouldn't know what dead mouse smelt like :|

Similar to dead hamsters. HTH

Ah of course, next time I smell a dead mouse I'll know exactly what it is now... :roll::hihi:

Are you sure it's a mouse? You do have tummy bugs, so could it not be some diarrhoea that's trickled down the side of the loo and gone under the floorboards! :hihi:

Are you sure it's a mouse? You do have tummy bugs, so could it not be some diarrhoea that's trickled down the side of the loo and gone under the floorboards! :hihi:

AWWWWW :gag::gag: There's always someone!!! Was going to say hubby's missing sock but your version is gross!

Death has a very unique, clingy sort of smell, you'll defo know it forever once you smell it. I have a working past that included sniffing for death through letter box's and it aint nice. Dead person is a hell of a lot worse than mouse but is the same sort of smell all the same.:gag:

Downstairs lav, so no, not unless it travels upwards, (as diarrhoea so often doesn't!)

Interesting thought, never the less!

I have a working past that included sniffing for death through letter box's and it aint nice.

did they put that in the job description? :gag: