Can anyone name this bird/duck/goose/something?

Anyone got any idea what species this is?

Spotted by one of the ponds in Graves Park, it runs quite quickly up and down by the path, as if trying to chase people walking past. Never heard it make a noise. Never managed to find anyone who can identify the species so ... any ideas?

Image019

Image020

My first guess would be that it's a young bird - swans, for example, have grey feathers to begin with, which turn (or are replaced by?) white as they mature.

And it looks like a goose, as far as my very limited knowledge of birds goes.

Its a Cape Barren Goose

Canada goose (young).

The beak is definitely goosey.

Perhaps Mr Goose will come on and tell us it's his Aunty Florence or something.

edit to add - just google image'd it, and the beak is wrong for a canada goose. So please just ignore me. I know about chickens, that's all.

Cereopsis novaehollandiae

Trust me on this

Cereopsis novaehollandiae

Trust me on this

Or what? Eh? Eh?

Now I don,t want anyone taking the pxxx out of me. I had a dream a few nights back and in my dream I had this duck following me, I told my daughter all about this duck and then she asked me what it was like, I discribed what I thought was the duck to her and she told me it sounded like a goose. I have just read this and clicked on the pic and there was that duck in my dream lol its true.

So now I know I dreamt of a goose not a duck.

Looks like a dodo :-)

Anyone got any idea what species this is?

Spotted by one of the ponds in Graves Park, it runs quite quickly up and down by the path, as if trying to chase people walking past. Never heard it make a noise. Never managed to find anyone who can identify the species so ... any ideas?

Image019

Image020

Now I don,t want anyone taking the pxxx out of me. I had a dream a few nights back and in my dream I had this duck following me, I told my daughter all about this duck and then she asked me what it was like, I discribed what I thought was the duck to her and she told me it sounded like a goose. I have just read this and clicked on the pic and there was that duck in my dream lol its true.

So now I know I dreamt of a goose not a duck.

Now you know you shouldn't have eggs for supper! It makes you dream about wild fowl! :lol:

*gets coat*

Thanks, taxman. I took a photo and took it into work, but Ziggy couldn't help. I've been left wondering about this truly odd looking bird for ages (wasn't in my 'Rather Bizarre Ducks and Geese of the British Isles' book.)

It's quite a nosy, personable bird from what I've seen of it, and loves having it's picture taken.

And yes, it does look a bit like a dodo, lol