Well, I've had the meeting...

I've got a feeling they can just do that, after so long anyway. On the other thread the OP did mention how they'd tried to accommodate her over the time but that she still couldn't actually work properly. When she posts above that she has been able to sustain her work, I think she actually meant HASN'T following the sense of the rest of the sentence?

It's an awful thing to lose a job but how long do you realistically think an employer should continue with someone who hasn't been able to do their work properly for 4 years? Employers can't just keep on paying for ever and a day and workmates also start to feel put upon if they're continually being asked to take up the slack when someone's off work in a hit and miss fashion.

This might just be the break that wondertec needs to get herself properly well and then start looking around for some work that she can actually do without stressing herself into a relapse.

Best of luck in the future, hope things work out for the better soon., wondertec.

Thanks to everyone...... i am still in shock and feel a bit like i'm on autopilot.... and i'm worrying now that no-one else will want to give me a job now.....and what family etc are going to think n say, even tho mum and dad have said it's nowt to do with them and who cares what they say... i do care! The OH's parents are gonna be tough to tell, don't think they even know anyone with depression.. oh god!!

Hey ...... you suffer from depression and have had your employment terminated, you havent committed a crime, you havent murdered anyone .... YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF. You suffer with depression ......... your not the first and you certainly wont be the last, its the most common mental health illness by tenfold. You need support from friends and family, it is difficult to sympathise with depression if you've never suffered or worked in that sector, but dont blame people close to you for their lack of education on the subject, they dont have to fully understand, just be there for you.

Cant you afford to keep your house even if you cut back on all the little extras? ....... its probably better to wait until you find out your benefit entilements first anyway, you may be better off than you thought.

Would you be so hard on yourself if you had both legs in plaster? ... a mental health illness is just as debilitating as any physical injury (if not more) , its just harder to see.

heed these wise words

It will all be OK- even if you lose the house the world will not end. I know that it seems really easy for me to say this, but I've been in the position of losing my income, health and independence through ill health and I know that it's pretty terrifying whilst you're going through it all.

Take the time to react to the shock but please don't wait to apply for anything that you may qualify for- get a CAB appointment and try not to worry too much.

I really do feel for you

Sorry to hear that, Wondertec. :( I know it seems like doomsday but things will work out. Relax and be kind to yourself right now... there's time enough to throw yourself back into the job hunt.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I'm aware of systems like 'capability and performance at work' reviews, with inbuilt warnings about sickness. I hope you are being supported and helped by your union.

From the CAB website:http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm

It is common for employers to claim that the employment contract has been frustrated when they are actually dismissing an employee unfairly. If your employer is trying to claim the contract has been frustrated, you must consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau.

Contacting the CAB seems to be the way to go.

Sorry to hear your news.

As well as contacting the CAB, go to your doctors straight away and get a sick note as I think it may help with any benefits you may be entitled to?

Aside from that. Get yourself a cuppa, take a deep breath and try to imagine what exciting opportunities you are now open to. You never know what is around the corner! Your illness may feel like a huge disadvantage right now, but it may turn out to be an advantage as your experience may benefit others in a work/career situation?

They surely can't fire you for being ill when you've had valid reasons to be off. I'd get some legal advice if i were you

It is perfectly legal to dismiss someone on the grounds of ill-health, provided you follow the correct procedures. It doesn't matter how valid the reasons for being off sick are.

Wondertec, I am sorry it came to this, and you're bound to be really upset for a while, even if you were half expecting this to happen. I hope your Union will be able to do something to help, maybe with finding out what benefits you are now entitled to.

Try and be kind to yourself while you're going through this difficult time, I hope your partner will be doing a bit of pampering to help you.

I've not got much of any use to say, but don't just assume that this is a bad thing - you might find that not having the stress of work to worry about helps you get a little bit better. You're not going to starve or go hungry, and although it feels like it, the world hasn't ended. You have people around you that love you and care about you...let them help and support you (emotionally, but financially as well if you need it) if you need it.

Hugs n stuff :)

This number may help, you dont have to be a member to use the service. Acas 01132431371

Hey ...... you suffer from depression and have had your employment terminated, you havent committed a crime, you havent murdered anyone .... YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF. You suffer with depression ......... your not the first and you certainly wont be the last, its the most common mental health illness by tenfold. You need support from friends and family, it is difficult to sympathise with depression if you've never suffered or worked in that sector, but dont blame people close to you for their lack of education on the subject, they dont have to fully understand, just be there for you.

Cant you afford to keep your house even if you cut back on all the little extras? ....... its probably better to wait until you find out your benefit entilements first anyway, you may be better off than you thought.

Would you be so hard on yourself if you had both legs in plaster? ... a mental health illness is just as debilitating as any physical injury (if not more) , its just harder to see.

heed these wise words

I really do feel for you

Thoroughly agree with everything you say about depression. There's still a stigma attached to having any sort of mental illness, which is why I happily go round telling all and sundry that I suffer from depression. The reaction is usually that I'm far too cheerful and positive a person to be suffering from depression. This gives me a chance to explain that depression is more than just feeling a bit down and weepy.

But it can be really difficult for people who've never suffered to understand how hard it can be to cope with. There always people on here who'll give you support if you need it, or if you just need to let off a bit of steam.

I'd be tempted to ask for your employer to speak to your partner too, if you can't remember all that was said x

Really sorry you are going through this. Maybe you will get a better job and you will be glad that this happened.

You'll get through this, no matter what. You have family that love and support you. In the big scheme of things, this will have little relevance in a year or so, and you may even start to feel relieved quite soon.