If Your Child Were Gay...

if my son ar little girl told me they were gay id be happy they are being true to them selves, id treat their partners like family and welcome them in my home

the very best men are gay

If my children confided that they were gay ................. Id be so upset

let me expand ......... I have no issues with homosexual or lesbians ....... i have 2 close gay female friends and had 2 very nice homosexual neighbours and a gay bloke as a personal friend ........... and they've all told me the hell they've been through in adolecence ..... with peers, socially, professionally and even with family. Not one of them has had an easy ride at life until they hit their mid 20's (or later). Each and everyone of them has had to endure a living hell just to be who they are and still in this day and age are met with homophobic rants, stares, finger pointing, having to fight for the same rights as a hetro .......... its a bloody cruel world.

So no, if it was as simple as a choice, i would choose the easy, accepting and sucessful path of a hetro rather than the hard road of homosexuality ......... however lifes just not that kind. I want my children to have a nice easy life full of happiness, i dont want them to have to suffer, doesnt every parent want the best for their kids? ........... but and if my children are gay, i will love and support them to the very best of my ability

It would bother me terribley. It wouldn't stop me from loving him, he's my son and always will be, but my feelings on homosexuality are very strong. I know it's not very PC but I just don't think its natural, and to be honest the thought of it repulses me.

(Sits back and waits for the impending slagging off)

Wondering why then you have Stewie Griffin (the world's most famous gay toddler), as your avatar...

If my children confided that they were gay ................. Id be so upset

let me expand ......... I have no issues with homosexual or lesbians ....... i have 2 close gay female friends and had 2 very nice homosexual neighbours and a gay bloke as a personal friend ........... and they've all told me the hell they've been through in adolecence ..... with peers, socially, professionally and even with family. Not one of them has had an easy ride at life until they hit their mid 20's (or later). Each and everyone of them has had to endure a living hell just to be who they are and still in this day and age are met with homophobic rants, stares, finger pointing, having to fight for the same rights as a hetro .......... its a bloody cruel world.

So no, if it was as simple as a choice, i would choose the easy, accepting and sucessful path of a hetro rather than the hard road of homosexuality ......... however lifes just not that kind. I want my children to have a nice easy life full of happiness, i dont want them to have to suffer, doesnt every parent want the best for their kids? ........... but and if my children are gay, i will love and support them to the very best of my ability

That sounds really naive. I'm not having a go but would you rather your children did 'anything for an easy life'?

I know plenty of gay people who don't endure a 'living hell', they're happy because they are being what they want to be - whether others necessarily like it or not.

ps how old are these people who have had hell? I think even in the last couple of generations people are a lot more accepting

I'd be more upset if my kids announced they were joining the armed forces.

Wouldn't the risks of lethal STDs bother you? A straight son might come home with NSU - you can help him through that, while an active homosexual son might come home HIV positive. I'd be bothered about that.

do what??????

are you telling me that a straight son of mine could not come home with HIV? or that If I had a gay son, he would automatically be doomed to contract HIV?

it's mediaeval attitudes like that that keep gay people in the closet, and made to feel that they cannot be ordinary, valuable members of society.

I'd be more upset if my kids announced they were joining the armed forces.

too right!

I would not care a jot if a child of mine were gay, (or straight) just so long as they were happy, and fulfilled.

20 or so years ago Gays were a wretched minority unprotected by law and shunned by wider society.

Today Homophobes are a wretched minority constricted by the law and derided by wider society.

Now that's progress!

When I told my parents I was gay, I was so scared. Not of my mum, but my Dad is a proper man's man; army part timer, farmer type. But he just jumped up from the kitchen table when I told him, and grabbed me and gave me a HUGE hug. Told me he loved me and that any boyfriend I ever had was welcome in the house.

Pretty cool really!

That sounds really naive. I'm not having a go but would you rather your children did 'anything for an easy life'?

I know plenty of gay people who don't endure a 'living hell', they're happy because they are being what they want to be - whether others necessarily like it or not.

not at all ........ i think youve completely missed my point, what i am saying is ......... i want my children to have a seamless glide through life (obviously impossible) .... but if they were gay, would add to lifes 'kicks in the crotch' ...... Obviously i want them to be themselves and live hapy lives irrelivant of sexual orientation ..... All i am saying is .............. a hetros life is a lot easier than a gays life is. Im not making myself clear am i? ... Im tired.

I will love my children no matter what but would be upset to learn they will have to struggle even more than normal to get through life

I agree with Suffragette, it would distress me far more if a child of mine came home and said "Mum, er.. I've a confession to make.... I want to be a....

soldier!"

I agree with Suffragette, it would distress me far more if a child of mine came home and said "Mum, er.. I've a confession to make.... I want to be a....

soldier!"

Oh I couldn't agree more PT - I'd be distraught and think that I had failed as a mother.

not at all ........ i think youve completely missed my point, what i am saying is ......... i want my children to have a seamless glide through life (obviously impossible) .... but if they were gay, would add to lifes 'kicks in the crotch' ...... Obviously i want them to be themselves and live hapy lives irrelivant of sexual orientation ..... All i am saying is .............. a hetros life is a lot easier than a gays life is. Im not making myself clear am i? ... Im tired.

I will love my children no matter what but would be upset to learn they will have to struggle even more than normal to get through life

I certainly know what you mean and I agree with you. There are still quite a lot of homophobes out there and there probably always will be some.

Just like there are always going to be people who think that women are inferior to men, that a different coloured skin makes you inferior, or any of the other prejudices that people indulge in to make themselves feel better.