If Your Child Were Gay...

If my son was gay (i dont have one yet but still), ide hope the other one, (yes im planning on two), wouldn't be so ide get grandchildren.

It's not about you though is it? It's about them. They may not give you grandchildren regardless of their sexuality. We shouldn't impose what we want on our children.

It's not about you though is it? It's about them. They may not give you grandchildren regardless of their sexuality. We shouldn't impose what we want on our children.

Exactly. If my son wants to drop out of school and smoke crack cocaine, I'd just be happy that he'd found a hobby he found so pleasurable.

Of course not but i can always dream cant i :)

True, but in terms of probability you're more likely to get your wish of grandchildren if at least one of your sprogs isn't gay. And besides, part of your role of being a parent, as Tricky has already alluded to, IS to guide your child down what you see as the best ways to live life.

My niece didn't actually COME to me with this earth shattering announcement - she just didn't really react when Floozy and me found her in a clinch with her girlfriend.

Why should she react?

Was it any business of ours? Was she doing something wrong? Was she breaking the law? Was their affection offensive? Were we morally compromised?

No, none of the above. She is my niece, I love her, she has self determination.

She is the same person who I knew and liked as a child. Why should her preferences have any influence on anything? Had she started watching (and liking) Frazier I might have reacted differently but no it made no difference to us whatsoever.

Different for my sis who was seriously done out of grandkids but she soon got over it - and as we keep telling our niece, she would make a wonderful DAD! It's not too late to adopt she's only 27. There would be no shortage of father figures in the family - they have plenty of both gay and straight male friends.

Long live freedom eh?

So are the good folks of Sheffield forum unusually understanding or are there lurkers who are not speaking their mind for fear of being non pc????

There's no shortage of people on this forum who insist that being homosexual is unnatural, immoral, or just plain evil; but none have posted on this thread so far.

I don't have kids and, at this point, never will. I'd like to think it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference; it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me whether my acquaintances are gay or not.

I wouldnt bat an eyelid, as long as she is happy:)

I wouldn't give a flying hoot one way or the other to be totally honest with you

And besides, part of your role of being a parent, as Tricky has already alluded to, IS to guide your child down what you see as the best ways to live life.

So do you think that the best way to live life is to be straight then?

So do you think that the best way to live life is to be straight then?

No, but if you want to have an argument, why not try one of the people that is bothered whether their children are gay or not? I don't think there was much implication that I think that teaching your children to be straight is the best way to live life in what I typed, until you chose to selectively quote me :). What I do think is that families (whatever form they take - straight/gay/single parents/gaggles of children/mormons/whatever) are important, and by teaching my children that, I would hope they would also choose to start their own by having their own children.

No, but if you want to have an argument, why not try one of the people that is bothered whether their children are gay or not? I don't think there was much implication that I think that teaching your children to be straight is the best way to live life in what I typed, until you chose to selectively quote me :). What I do think is that families (whatever form they take - straight/gay/single parents/gaggles of children/mormons/whatever) are important, and by teaching my children that, I would hope they would also choose to start their own by having their own children.

I don't want an argument, believe you me. I just wanted clarification ok?

FIGHT!!! RRRAAAARRRRRRR!:rant::rant::rant:

I don't want an argument, believe you me. I just wanted clarification ok?

Oh.

OK :(.