John McLaughlin/Mahavishnu Orchestra at the City Hall 1972?

I went to some great gigs at the City Hall in the early 70s. Virtually all of them I've managed to pin down, but there's one that I still can't. I remember seeing John McLaughlin and the MO in 1972. Judging by their other tour dates that year, it was probably Aug/Sept, right around the time Birds of Fire was recorded. Although they were an amazing band, it was not a very well attended show, but I remember it being incredibly loud (and a bit over my head at the time).

Anybody else remember this, or am I really dreaming?

No you are not dreaming - I went as well and like you found it all rather "challenging". Anyway this is from

http://www.johnmclaughlin.com/

"For the 1st. Mahavishnu, I invite drummer Billy Cobham who played with me on Miles favorite recording, 'Jack Johnson', I wanted a Violinist probably thanks to my Mom, and I found Jerry Goodman from Chicago, Pianist Jan Hammer and my old friend from the U.K. Bassist Rick Laird.

February 1971. By the time we come together for the first time, I've got enough new music for two records.

First public appearance, 2 weeks opposite John Lee Hooker at the 'Whiskey A Go Go' on Bleeker Street New York. Unbelievable success! We have to be the loudest and fastest group on the Planet!

2 Days after the 'Whiskey' gig, we record 'Inner Mounting Flame'.

Amazing successes follow. We win most of the 'Downbeat' Prizes by the end of the year. Grammy Nominations follow, etc..

By the end of 1973 the band 'Mahavishnu Orchestra' disbands due to discontent on the part of Jan Hammer and Jerry Goodman".

Forgot all about Jan Hammer (of Miami Vice) fame

Well, I'm glad somebody else remembers this! Do you have any recollection of the date? I recently did a quick search of the Sheffield Star archives at the City Library, and couldn't find an advert for this show. The most comprehensive MU gig list doesn't mention it either (label.abstractlogix.com/mahavishnu-gigs.htm). If it really was Aug/Sept, I suspect they used some UK dates as warm ups for the Birds of Fire recording sessions taking place in London around this time.

Although I didn't really appreciate MU at the time, I've since collected many of their concert recordings. Great band!

Thanks!

I'm glad I wasn't dreaming it - I was there. I hadn't heard mention of the Mahavishnu Orchestra since then until recently when my son asked if I had ever heard of them as he rated their music! I thought it would be more 1974 though.

It was definitely not 1974; MO had already disbanded by then. Also, the last show I ever saw at the City Hall was Led Zeppelin in Jan 1973--off to Uni later that year.

Can't remember the date but the band was at the City Hall. Cobham had left the band approx 3 mths earlier and his place was taken by Narada Michael Walden who at that time was a total unknown.He however went on to greater things.The music was very loud ( for the time) and very complex so much so that my friend and I ( both ''musos'' I might add ) left early and went to the pub.Incidently sat behind us was Dave Green of 'Playboys' fame.

From what I'm reading here, MO must have played 2 gigs in Sheffield: 1972 and 1974. I definitely didn't see the second show (w/out Billy Cobham), which would have been the second lineup; I wasn't in Sheffield at this time. However, I still think the first, which I did see, must have been Aug/Sept 1972. The original MO disbanded in Dec 1973.

It was definitely not 1974; MO had already disbanded by then. Also, the last show I ever saw at the City Hall was Led Zeppelin in Jan 1973--off to Uni later that year.

Was that the Led Zeppelin gig when Robert Plant had laryngitis?What a disappointment-a complete waste of 75p.One of our mates mums had been down to queue for tickets for us 'cause we were at school!

Was that the Led Zeppelin gig when Robert Plant had laryngitis?What a disappointment-a complete waste of 75p.One of our mates mums had been down to queue for tickets for us 'cause we were at school!

It was (Jan 2, 1973). And it was the only time I saw Zep. I don't remember how I got the tickets, but I'm sure I queued up at Willie Pecks with everybody else (I was also still at school). I was not that impressed with the show (not a big Zep fan), but then again I'm really glad I went. Best gig I ever saw at the City Hall was The Who, July 3 1971--scorching!

You've a hell of a memory for dates.Or have you still got all your old ticket stubs?

You've a hell of a memory for dates.Or have you still got all your old ticket stubs?

I originally remembered which bands and approximately which years (I went to shows in Sheffield between 1969-1973). Unfortunately, I lost the ticket stubs years ago, but now there are many many gig lists on the web to look this stuff up. Take a look at these:

http://www.thewholive.de/

http://www.uuweb.led-zeppelin.us/concert_dates.html

I also collect live tapes so I try and keep track of this sort of thing.

Great links .That'll give me something to do into the early hours!Thanks.I think I've tried on here before and got no response, but do you remember shouting "wally" to get the house lights turned down?Why?And who was Wally?