Big Issue Sellers in Sheffield Centre

I have noticed when I visit Fargate near Marks and Spencer the Big Issue Sellers seem to smoke cannabis, well atleast the young chap about 20's does. I just feel sorry for their dogs who appear to be ok in health but it is not a place for homeless dogs, they do wear dog coats but dont have regular food or essential clean fresh water. I applaud the Cathedral homeless shelter and St. Annes Community Services for their help, but we should as the english society should be looking in to moving away from Big issue enterprises and placing them into accommodation, help with addictions and training for jobs. I am fed up of seeing eastern europeans taking our jobs and becoming service users, I watched the Tonight programme last night on ITV1 regarding Polish workers on Construction sites. This is cheap labour, they have language barriers and lack of helath and safety knowledge, the point I am making is that this is boom time in terms of regeneration and community development of our Towns and Cities, so get rid of Big Issue sellers and place them into assisted help. We pay our taxes for for goods and services, so come on Government and Council help them and help us who sometimes get targetted for some abuse from some sellers who dont make any sales due to them and their attitude and behaviour. The UK Commerce and Industry should be about training for skills and implimenting them in whatever industry, not about making money out of Big Issue sellers because of their status and backgound.

Tony Neil Morris

Crikey. Three threads in a week on Big Issue sellers.

The foreign guy outside TJ's is funny as ****, he always puts a smile on my face, I might have to get him a cuppa.

I have noticed when I visit Fargate near Marks and Spencer the Big Issue Sellers seem to smoke cannabis, well atleast the young chap about 20's does. I just feel sorry for their dogs who appear to be ok in health but it is not a place for homeless dogs, they do wear dog coats but dont have regular food or essential clean fresh water. I applaud the Cathedral homeless shelter and St. Annes Community Services for their help, but we should as the english society should be looking in to moving away from Big issue enterprises and placing them into accommodation, help with addictions and training for jobs. I am fed up of seeing eastern europeans taking our jobs and becoming service users, I watched the Tonight programme last night on ITV1 regarding Polish workers on Construction sites. This is cheap labour, they have language barriers and lack of helath and safety knowledge, the point I am making is that this is boom time in terms of regeneration and community development of our Towns and Cities, so get rid of Big Issue sellers and place them into assisted help. We pay our taxes for for goods and services, so come on Government and Council help them and help us who sometimes get targetted for some abuse from some sellers who dont make any sales due to them and their attitude and behaviour. The UK Commerce and Industry should be about training for skills and implimenting them in whatever industry, not about making money out of Big Issue sellers because of their status and backgound.

Tony Neil Morris

You need to remember some people dont want to work, and will never work whilst there is a benifits system.

I took a pic of one outside M&S a week or so ago. The wording above his head had a kinda sad irony

Outdoor Living

I've nothing against them. I wouldn't like to be in their position

I took a pic of one outside M&S a week or so ago. The wording above his head had a kinda sad irony

Outdoor Living

:hihi::hihi: i like that piccy :hihi:

Outdoor Living

HA HA HA HA That is the best photo i have ever seen i feel for them but the photos funny.

You need to remember some people dont want to work, and will never work whilst there is a benifits system.

that is possibly correct, but selling Big Issues is work and will almost certainly affect the seller's rights to benefits

HA HA HA HA That is the best photo i have ever seen i feel for them but the photos funny.

After spotting another guy sat here

Upper Crust

I'm beginning to think they know where to sit for a bit of amusement lol

The UK Commerce and Industry should be about training for skills and implimenting them in whatever industry, not about making money out of Big Issue sellers because of their status and backgound.

Tony Neil Morris

I'm not having a go and correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Big Issue only covered it's costs. The profit went to the seller and noone is making money out of them.

A lot of Big Issue sellers do have a home. They are obviously classed as homeless and many will have been through interim accommodation etc. but they are often just starting to try to maintain their own tenancy or living in supported accommodation. And one of the conditions (I think) of being a seller is that you seek help with any drug problems. One of the Big Issue sellers I talk to lives in a small bedsit and uses the Big Issue money to pay his rent and bills because he'd rather work (selling the Big Issue) than live off benefits even though he has nothing left after his basics. From what I know the Big Issue is a way of helping people become more independent and an incentive for sorting their problems out. It's not just a money making scheme for the company.

Can you explain to me just how you extrapolate that theorem, that " one ish vendor allegedly uses cannabis, therefore they all do"

Some are certainly recieving methadone therapy, as a measure to wean them off hard-drugs, but not all have a substance abuse problem, and the big ish charity, provides support and help to the vendor WRT finding accommodation and in accessing substance abuse help where needed.