Dinner Bill Etiquette

I'd have put my fifty in and sucked it up, to be honest. Either that, or not ordered food (which IS an option when you're with a group). I hate the niggling and pettiness that goes with splitting bills pedantically...I agree that £30 over is taking the mickey (I don't think THAT's petty, but when people are arguing over £2-3 it gets reet up me noze), and I don't know your circumstances or whether £30 is an acceptable right-off during a night out for you, but I've reached the conclusion that unless the loss of money is actually going to affect my quality of life over the coming weeks, it's just not worth the hassle to worry about. It's only money.

Ok, so recently I was invited out to 2 dinner parties on the same night. one was early and one later in the evening so timing was great for me.

The first party I went to was at a nice buffet restaurant and everyone paid their own way.

The second one I went to is where my question lies.

The bar tab was already quite high by the time I arrived and as I was driving I had a coke.

I was the last to arrive, so we were moved into the dining area and our orders taken. I had already eaten, so I ordered a salad as a main, so I wouldn't just be sitting there like an idiot, but everyone else ordered an entree, a main and dessert, as well as copious amounts of alcohol.

i was well prepared to pay my own way plus some for the tip and also a contribution to the party girl, but when the bill came, they decided to split it evenly between us.

As I said I was willing to give extra, which would have come to about £20, but when I was expected to cough up £50, I was a little bewildered and said

'um, No'

I was looked at like I was a cheapskate, someone even offered to 'lend me the money if I couldn't afford it'.

someone else vocalised the same concern I had and squabbleing ensued. In the end, 1 guy paid for the lot to stop the arguments, but now I'm being blamed for ruining the evening.

Was I wrong to question the splitting of the bill, or was I breaking Dinner Bill Ettiquette?

your friends were taking liberties , they are not your friends

Maybe if you had two 'dinner party' invites on the same night you should have just declined one?

Maybe if you had two 'dinner party' invites on the same night you should have just declined one?

Nail meet head.

I'm not sure I understand that concept.

I think it's a bit harsh on you but generally I think splitting equally is the only way to go. I do sometimes get cross when I know I've had less and over the years I've learned to just get as smashed on the wine as possible so I don't moan about the food or the bill!:hihi:

I'm not sure I understand that concept.

Have less friends, but quality ones. Simple concept.

A lot of the times, the splitting of bills get very frustrating is because not everyone knows each other too. So even if you want to pay for one friend, you have to pay for ALL people. It just gets embarrassing to bicker over it.

I also remember a friend of friend dinner, and we split the bills. With all chinese meals, I always split the bills evenly whether I had enough or not etc. But this one time, I was shocked to be asked to pay for this guy who was out of a job, and it was the first time that I met him. It was his friend who had asked, but it was also the first time I met him in my whole life. I felt embarrassed to be put into that situation. So his friend ended up subbing his mate. I didn't understand why he asked to begin with... It was just a very awkard thing to have been in cos everybody did not want to, and nor did they put in that amount to cover him too. I just remembered adding extra tips and left it at that.

I've never ever 'made a profit' in a split the bill situation- always end up subsidising someone else's meal. So im learning to not hold back now. Fillet steak for me from now on..