Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

I used to get my sarsaparilla fix from a little shop on Bellhouse Rd at the Hatfield House Rd. end.

You and me both! Cheers! :)

I was there from about 1964-67 (not all the time, mind..)

You and me both! Cheers! :)

I was there from about 1964-67 (not all the time, mind..)

My sarsaparilla habit was formed 42-48, not being obtainable in the West country I went cold turkey years ago.

A rass & sass in jacks on langsett rd playing space invaders & listening to dexys "geno" & madness "baggy trousers ",happy days.

There was one on Crookes somewhere near the Pieklet shop and one on Walkley near the Paladium. Used to go in 'em both as a lad but I ued to get my "packet of three" at the Crookes one :-)

There was an herbalist/chemist shop top of Rushby st. I am talking Owler lane/Page hall area, that sold sarsparilla. the name was SCHOLEYS

there was also a brother that ,had the dental practice over the shop and just around the corner was Scholeys ladies dress shop. Getting back to sarsparilla, was it originally an American drink as it was mentioned in their early soda fountains and in early American movies.

I'm stalking you fleets, dont they call it root beer in the U.S?

I'm stalking you fleets, dont they call it root beer in the U.S?

Hi Tex - Never liked root beer here but remember and enjoyed sarsaparilla as a kid, i've always thought there was a connection though. I distinctly recall that sarsaparilla was mentioned in early American movies along with soda fountains and soda jerks!

I also remember the SAS bars two at the bottom end of Ecclesall rd one opposite the old Star Cinema which if i remember correctly had two entrances one at either end then another SAS bar further down Ecclesall rd near Wards chip shop which was quite small if i remember right i also used to like the hard liquorice sticks similar to IMPS which sent your mouth black also used to go in the one on Abbeydale rd near the Abbeydale cinema opposite the Flamingo cafe:headbang: .

i first had sasparilla and hot vimto at the temperance bar near the corner of weedon street at the side of g.banks builders yard and the chinese laundry opposite what is now carphone warehouse on the meadowhall retail park, my othermemories are the mikado at firthpark at lunchtime from the redcaps school, and near the barracks at hillsbroall in the 60's , no idea if you can get sasprilla anymore?

There was one on Woodseats run by Nancy Enoch a lovely lady who talked in a whisper all the time

i first had sasparilla and hot vimto at the temperance bar near the corner of weedon street at the side of g.banks builders yard and the chinese laundry opposite what is now carphone warehouse on the meadowhall retail park, my othermemories are the mikado at firthpark at lunchtime from the redcaps school, and near the barracks at hillsbroall in the 60's , no idea if you can get sasprilla anymore?

My great grandparents had a sasparilla bar/herbalist shop on Oaks Green, Attercliffe. Apparently they ran it for years - my mum has very fond memories of it.

we used to go to the heeley baths in primary school (totley county) in about 1961, and then go to the sas shop on abbeydale road, it was good stuff.

Hi again - finally found the photo of me inside our sarsaparilla shop on abbeydale road. Unfortuantelly my father, Toni De Donno who used to own the shop in th 70's passed away four years ago but do have a pic with him serving somwhere. Will post when I find it.

http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy160/fourchairs/?action=view&current=bar.jpg