Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

Hi,

Nobody has mentioned Elliot's drink shop in the Wicker. It was close to where Associated Chemists are now. That did a roaring trade up to the early late 40's - early 50's: then the busines dropped off fast.

It was popular because of the "Passing Trade". A lot of people from Pitsmoor used to walk through the Wicker on their way to, and from, Town; rather than take the tram.

I never particularly liked Saraparilla, but the hot Blackcurrent was great.

Regards

I liked the liquorice root you could buy & also the cinnamon sticks we chewed.

For big Dand C ,, The shop you mention,just below Summerfield St,on Eccelshall Takes me back to 1940 We used to call in there late at night,on our way back from the Cavendish dance hall on West St. He was still open at 11-30 at night .Boy,such wonderful days. All gone now. That was just before the Blitz on Sheffield

I went sometimes to jacks on langset road when I went to wycliffe youth club on friday nights. It was an interesting place tall bar stools and a flipper machine pretty sure that is not the right name for it. Jack was a really friendly man who seemed to like kids and very happy for them to hand around.

I meant to say jack was happy for kids to hang around not hand around!!

I remember the saspirella bar on Abbeydale Road. I remember as a youngster a day out in the school holidays would be to go to Heeley Swimming Baths and then climb up the hill to Abbeydale to road to go to a chemists shop that had what we called a Children's Bar. We used to buy half a pint of saspirella and thought we were oh so grown up! What innocent days. I had no idea until I read these posts that they existed in other parts of Sheffield.

i remember the one on abbeydale road for the same reasons and we used to live at the bottom of bedale road on broadfield road

happy days

One third of our business premises here in Barber Road, Walkley, used to be a Sasparilla shop (the other two thirds being a grocer's and a laundry).

An ex-employee has done a painting - although we're not talking Lowry here - which is on show behind our main counter. It shows the front of the shop painted green with a sign in the window saying: Try our sasparilla - half a pint, 3d. There's also an advert for Vimto.

I don't know how long this shop/bar lasted. My grandfather and father moved into the premises, all three, in 1971. Since then the premises have been used for our business, plumbers merchants and bathroom suppliers (local folk will know who we are).

The chappy that owned the sasparilla shop was a Mr Tomlinsn

What about the Mikado Drink Shop on Stubbin Lane, Firth Park?

Yep I drank in there around 1966/7 or so. Sarsparilla and also Vimto! yum!

There was an herbalist/chemist shop top of Rushby st. I am talking Owler lane/Page hall area, that sold sarsparilla. the name was SCHOLEYS

there was also a brother that ,had the dental practice over the shop and just around the corner was Scholeys ladies dress shop. Getting back to sarsparilla, was it originally an American drink as it was mentioned in their early soda fountains and in early American movies.

Further to my blurb. I'm talking 40's 50's. I do enjoy the trivia.

Hi all you ex sarsparilla drinkers - my father - Toni De Donno owned the shop on abbeydale rd mid 70's. He used to brew the drink himself. I used to serve in the temperance bar my self some days. I've got a picture of the inside of the shop which I'll dig out and post the link on this thread

Hi all you ex sarsparilla drinkers - my father - Toni De Donno owned the shop on abbeydale rd mid 70's. He used to brew the drink himself. I used to serve in the temperance bar my self some days. I've got a picture of the inside of the shop which I'll dig out and post the link on this thread

That picture I'd love to see!

I used to get my sarsaparilla fix from a little shop on Bellhouse Rd at the Hatfield House Rd. end.