Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

hi wonders where you can buy sassperella now used to love goin in pops after pictures closed,on abbeydale road.

Does anyone remember the little shop on Brightside Lane that sold Herb Beer.

It was about 3 doors away from the Bleuchar pub just after the newsagents opposite the beginning of Upwell street.

There was a long bench along the wall where everyone sat cheek by jowl drinking the beer.

Happy Days!

I remember Hartleys Sarsaparrilla bar on Ecclesall Rd It was next to my Uncle Harolds shoe repair shop, and my Grandmother lived opposite. My cousin and I was discussing this a few weeks ago. I can still taste the hot vimto and the liqourice sticks. She remembers the sulpher tablets, my memory fails me on them. I spent many happy days there. The old bike wheels getting stuck inthe tram lines.

when i was a little girl of about 8 or 9 i used to beg my brother-in-law to take me to jacks on langsette rd he lived on one of the streets not far away so he used to take me to play on the pinball,the hightlight of my week it was.anyone remember him stan ludlam was his name.

I remember the Sas shop on Middlewood Rd, next door to the chinese laundry that sold blue starch bags for a 1d. Across the road next to Mark Hoopers tobacconist was the Smugglers Cave coffee bar that had the best jukebox in Hillsboro'. Complete with all the new Buddy Hollies, Red river Rock, Mason Dixon Lion etc; Another juke box was in Mitchells' coffee bar at the x roads of Leppings Lane. Great old days.

I remember the shop, quite small, at Heeley Green. This would be during the war, early 1940's. Run by a little old man and his wife. Drinks were 1/2d or 1d.

No-one has mentioned the one on Holme lane Malin Bridge. I used to have a drink there before walking on to Rivelin.

Hiya mum, oh, and the little one says hi too, lol.

I know that place, I lived down on beeley st.,from 45 to i think it was 59.

Originally posted by Harlan

There used to be one on Ecclesall Rd opposite the old Star Picture Palace,and we used to go in after dropping of the tram after footballing in Endcliffe Park and sit like men of the world drinking Sarsaparilla from the same type of pint pots our Fathers drank from in the Pub,and we felt real men of the world!!,as you say PopT Happy Days.

Originally posted by Bluebell

I remember the saspirella bar on Abbeydale Road. I remember as a youngster a day out in the school holidays would be to go to Heeley Swimming Baths and then climb up the hill to Abbeydale ...

<snip> I had no idea until I read these posts that they existed in other parts of Sheffield.

The Abbeydale Rd Temperance Bar visit was an intrinsic and obligatory part of the Heeley Baths Experience :-) as was a qick window gawp ( and occasional venture in) at Wilf Green's Bike shop.

T'also came in handy before Saturday morning visits to the Abbeydale cinema. 1/3d for cinema ticket: 8d or, later, 9d for a pint of sas.

I thought it was the only one, too. Three for five other Sheffield districts? ( sorry ;-p )

Ecol

The one on Holme Lane has been posted on the first page of this subject but it would be good to hear more about it.

Quote-

Matsella

You were right.

There was one next to the pikelet shop where you had to go up two steps on Hillsboro.

There was another as well that I had forgotten opposite the tram sheds on Holme Lane.

What Memories!

Happy Days

yes, sarsaparilla bars, now i have very fond memories of one such bar. I come from brightside area, and fondly remember a sarsaparilla bar on the corner of newhall road and brightside lane. The name of the shop now eludes me, the last time i used it would have been 1965 ish at the age of ten, and we knew it as the old dragons place, drinks were one penny a shot and the variety seemed endless. I have to say i always chose burdock , never having liked sarsaparilla. Happy days.