Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

I worked at Timpsons shoe repair shop on Abbeydale Road from about 1964 and regularly called in at the Temperance Bar for a pint of refreshing Sarsaparilla. This was usually when visiting either Wilf Green's motorbike shop or the snooker hall under Abbeydale Pictures. The Temperance Bar was between the two almost opposite the Flamingo cafe which was also a regular haunt.

I remember sarsaparilla shops or herbal shops as we called them.

There was one at Walkley tram terminus (I can't remember what the

Road was called) in between Freedom road and Palm street I think.

Hi Ten ten - I also seem to remember this shop, and directories from the 1960s show "Percival Hartley, herbalist" at 340 South Road, between Freedom Road and Carr Road.

Hi Hillsbro

Thanks for that I remember we did call it Hartleys . I got my roads mixed up , such a long

Time since I was there, although I was born in Freedom road.

Hi People i lived on little london road opposite were Arnold Laver's was, Any one remember the house's ? We use to walk through the passage and over the wooded bridge then up to Abbeydale picture's, After going to the picture's we went for a sarsaparilla, It was on draft, it was so good, I am a big liquorice fan :), Your's Tony

Don't know if this has been posted before, if so my apologies.

If you go on Google Earth, type in Abbeydale Cinema Sheffield, and then use the street view yellow man you can navigate down the road toward town from the cinema.

Three shops down on the right there's an antique shop. There's a Volvo estate parked outside. If you look at the bottom section under the window with the red door propped up against it you can make out the words ' Temperance Bar' slightly obscured by a chair.

That's where the Abbeydale sarsaprilla bar was. Had a few in there when I was a Lad.

.... If you look at the bottom section under the window with the red door propped up against it you can make out the words ' Temperance Bar' slightly obscured by a chair....
My goodness you're right!..:thumbsup:.Here is a photo. I also remember having the odd glass of sarsparilla there in the 1960s. Directories from the 1940s show the business as "Ernest Phillipson, herbalist" while by 1953 it was "William E. & Leonard Phillipson, herbalists". The 1965 directory shows "G.E. Bridges, herbalist", and 1971-73 "C. de Donno, herbalist". Edited by hillsbro

Hi everyone yes that's the Temperance Bar, last 4 or 5 week's i saw them moveing out of the antique's shop, wish we could put it back as sarsparilla shop :)

Tony

Edited by Tony01

my brother and I would spend all our dinner money in one swoop in the one on Langsett rd well that was until we got busted seem to remember the dinners at Burton st was pretty gross and not worth a few glass of any of there drinks

hiya,used to work at cocker bros on Effingham rd, opposite atterclife non political club and round the nonpots corner on Attercliffe rd a paper shop,

and they sold sas and herbel remedies any one remember ???

Don't know if this has been posted before, if so my apologies.

If you go on Google Earth, type in Abbeydale Cinema Sheffield, and then use the street view yellow man you can navigate down the road toward town from the cinema.

Three shops down on the right there's an antique shop. There's a Volvo estate parked outside. If you look at the bottom section under the window with the red door propped up against it you can make out the words ' Temperance Bar' slightly obscured by a chair.

That's where the Abbeydale sarsaprilla bar was. Had a few in there when I was a Lad.

Yes, we also went in after the baths or cinema. From memory it was very small with a counter/bar just a few feet from the window?

Also..... is it just me or did we always have to go up two steps into shops on there, have the pavements been raised over the years?