Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

There was a sarsparilla shop on Middlewood Rd opposite hallifax bank owned by a Mr Styran he ran the shop with is wife. also shop further on M/Wood Rd past Leppings Lane near chinese laundry and Atkinsons pie shop.

There was a sarsparilla shop on Middlewood Rd opposite hallifax bank owned by a Mr Styran he ran the shop with is wife..
Yes - remember it well! It was one of the oldest businesses in Hillsborough, dating from 1902 when Walter Styran "herbalist and botanic drink brewer" opened the shop at 27 Middlewood Road. Walter's son (also Walter) eventually took over with his wife Elsie. After Walter Jnr. died in 1957, Elsie ran the shop until she retired about ten years later. The Styrans had lived at the back but Elsie moved to Trickett Road and lived to the ripe old age of 97. Edited by hillsbro

I can remember Jacks Sasperrella shop on langsett road, I was only a little girl about 5 or 6 but my dad used to take me to have a drink of sasperella somtimes. I remember that the drink tasted funny but I liked it! I allways used to like the neon durex sign in the window (I was too young to know what it was then). If my memory is correct I recall that there was wooden panneling over the bottom half of the window so you couldnt see in and there was a counter with stools round it towards the back of the shop, although my memories of this are fairly hazy it was such a long time ago

I used to go to Jacks on Langsett road.

I went sometimes to jacks on langset road when I went to wycliffe youth club on friday nights. It was an interesting place tall bar stools and a flipper machine pretty sure that is not the right name for it. Jack was a really friendly man who seemed to like kids and very happy for them to hand around.

I agree! He was a lovely quiet man.

I agree! He was a lovely quiet man.
Yes - Jack Lee was one of the best. He also brewed his own sarsparilla, instead of using cordial. This photo will take us all back!

there is an old saying that everyone knows where they were when JFK was assassinated,well me & my mates had just come out of the sarsparilla bar when the old lady who ran the pie shop came running out in the street shouting 'he' been murdered'.Turned out to be JFK.

we used to go to the Heely bar at dinnertime from Carfield School, and weekends to the one on the Main Road Darnall, I can still remember the particular smell of the various herbs etc in all of these places

Pop's (nick name) next to Abbeydale cinema/ballroom. A large variety of hot & cold drinks including draught Sarsaparilla. Not sure if any other drink shop sold draught, certainly the best I tasted and in pint pots too.

there was a drinks shop in heeley green,on gleadless road in the 50/60s.The last temperance bar open now is in rawtenstall lancashire and is still busy to this day.They had to stop selling sarsaparilla,as we know it,not long ago,they had to make up a new recipe,i cant remember why ,something to do with an ingredient used in the old recipe,not being allowed to be used.Anyway i believe it tastes the same!You can buy allsorts of remedies there,slippery elm!any one remember that for sickness,arrowroot to mention two!

Wasn't it across from the cinema?

The saspirella bar on Langsett road was called "Jacks" a wonderful place for an 8 year old (me) it was full of strange smells but more importantly it had the most wonderful pinball games. Great times

The Sasparilla bar on Langsett road opposite the bottom of Woodland Street was called "Jacks". Not only did it sell saspirella but it also had wonderful pinball machines which to an 8 year old (me) were fantastic

Wasn't it across from the cinema?

It was indeed.

Coming up from Kent Rd there was the butcher (Buzzy's?) the grocer (Flears or Bullaces?) the wallpaper shop (?) then the drink shop.

Blackcurrent was my favorite.