Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

Hi again - finally found the photo of me inside our sarsaparilla shop on abbeydale road. Unfortuantelly my father, Toni De Donno who used to own the shop in th 70's passed away four years ago but do have a pic with him serving somwhere. Will post when I find it.

http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy160/fourchairs/?action=view&current=bar.jpg

Nice picture, worth waiting for!

their was one at the side of banners attercliffe till the late 70s

The one on Eccleshall Rd was called Hartley's. I used to live two doors down. They sold sarsparilla, dandelion and burdock, etc. I spent any cash I had there on sweets, and on fireworks when I had been collecting pennies for the guy. They also had a jar of liquorice roots that I found strangely satisfying. (after spending an hour mashing it to a sort of woody pulp).

I also remember the SAS bars two at the bottom end of Ecclesall rd one opposite the old Star Cinema which if i remember correctly had two entrances one at either end then another SAS bar further down Ecclesall rd near Wards chip shop which was quite small if i remember right i also used to like the hard liquorice sticks similar to IMPS which sent your mouth black also used to go in the one on Abbeydale rd near the Abbeydale cinema opposite the Flamingo cafe:headbang: .

Looks like you haunted the same places as me.The sarsaparilla from the SAS bar next to the Abbeydale had to be the best in the world in my opinion. I also used to buy the black liquorice sticks from the SAS bar across from the Star[funnily enough I have some in my drawer now but not from there!]also used to buy the liquorice root to chew especially when sweets weren't available[also have some of that in my drawer!]Still use chopped up liquorice root to use in herbal tea!

Hi again - finally found the photo of me inside our sarsaparilla shop on abbeydale road. Unfortuantelly my father, Toni De Donno who used to own the shop in th 70's passed away four years ago but do have a pic with him serving somwhere. Will post when I find it.

http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy160/fourchairs/?action=view&current=bar.jpg

Is your brother Jason De Donno?

Looks like you haunted the same places as me.The sarsaparilla from the SAS bar next to the Abbeydale had to be the best in the world in my opinion. I also used to buy the black liquorice sticks from the SAS bar across from the Star[funnily enough I have some in my drawer now but not from there!]also used to buy the liquorice root to chew especially when sweets weren't available[also have some of that in my drawer!]Still use chopped up liquorice root to use in herbal tea!

I never went to the SAS bar in Abbeydale, although I went to the Abbeydale cinema many times. I haven't seen liquorice root for years. I now remember one of the reasons I used to buy it was, when I was very young, sweets were still rationed, but liquorice root wasn't. I suppose I developed a taste that never went away.

Sarsaparilla Bars - Anyone remember them?

1970 is when I drank my second (the first and the last, lol), Sarsaparilla. It was at a bar or cafe directly opposite Millmoor Football ground in Rotherham. I think it was cream soda flavour and it tasted horrible although I was impressed with the tall heavy duty glasses. Anyone remember the place?

I used to go to Jacks on langsett road hillsborough sheffield in the late 70s and early 80s, playing pinball putting on the mini jukebox and drinking hot chocolate. We was there nearly every night it was some where to go in your teens. Great little place

Edited by Dave Br

we agree the sasparilla at the abbeydale shop was the best, my wife and i would call on our way to the "pictures" . sometimes we'd call at the one on gleadless rd cause i lived near there, but it wasnt as good and because they sold other goods likes pies etc there wasnt the room room to sit and take your time tho my mum liked the fact she could but buy homemade pie+gravy already+hot for our tea there! i went to school with the boy who lived at the back ofthe gleadless rd shop.

Is your brother Jason De Donno?

He certainly is

He certainly is

cool :) went to same school

I remember the Sarsparilla shops

Before the coffee bars came into their own we used to for for a drink in the sarsparilla shops.

We used to drink hot Bovril, Sarspailla hot or cold and cordials such as blackcurrant.

They also used to sell licorice root, cinnamon sticks ad all manner of cough (spice) and lozenges.

I remember Rickson's on Middlewood Road opposite the Chinese Laundry and also one two or three doors away from the laundry, I think it was next to Atkinson's pie shop.

The other shops I can remember is the one already mentioned on Langsett road.

I think it was roughly opposite Burnaby Street.

The only other one I frequented was in the Kelvin area on Langsett Road next to another pie shop.

On a Sunday night we were pretty tame compared with today's youths, we used to walk the 'Monkey Run'from one end of Hillsborough to the other end hoping to meet of with the girls.

At each end we would call for a drink at one of these shops.

We were too young to go in the pubs and money was short so that.s what we did along with many more who probably too proud to admit it nowadays.

Happy Days

the one on Langsett road was called Jacks sarsaparilla bar