Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

In the 1940s we were allowed on Sunday morning to go and buy either a

bottle of Tizer, Dandelion and Burdoch , a real treat!

I remember a shop labelled 'drug store' on the Williams side of Chesterfield Rd, Woodseats, where we drank sarsaparilla on a few occasions after going to Graves Park

I remember that shop, a very nice lady served us, the one I remember best was situated between the Chantrey and Woodseats pubs, I loved the taste of sasprilla.

I remember that shop, a very nice lady served us, the one I remember best was situated between the Chantrey and Woodseats pubs, I loved the taste of sasprilla.

I remember the herbalist shop on Woodseats, we called in on a Saturday morning after the children's cinema sessions at the Chantrey Cinema and Woodseats Palace, there was a row of small stone barrels on a shelf on the wall behind the counter, each one had a drip tray hanging from a tap to catch any drips from the various flavours on offer, my favourite was ice cream soda, this was diluted with water from a tap under the counter, we would tell the herbalist not to make it too weak.

I used to go to one on Stubbin Lane Firth Park, I can still remember the smell of the warm sasperella. mmmmm

I was a regular at Tony di Donno's bar on Abbeydale Rd in the sixties, an occasional visitor to Jack's on Langsett Rd and a frequent visitor to Maisie's shop on Gleadless Rd just below Heeley Green. Maisie's family were all really nice people as was their bull terrier. I can't remember when I last went in, probably late 70's, possibly later, but it was the last temperance bar I remember operating. Much of the equipment from Maisie's is now in Weston Park Museum

Ah such memories. The mid 40's Just started to go dancing to the Abbeydale not old enough to go to the pub. At the interval we all used to go to Pop's the girls had cream sodas and the lads sarsaparilla.Young American soldiers used to come in it reminded them of home. I was Golden Earrings then. Great memories.

Does anyone remember the rag and bone yard just off Broardfield rd up near The top?

Does anyone remember the rag and bone yard just off Broardfield rd up near The top?

What's that got to do with sarsaparilla? There is a thread about rag and bone men/yards.

What's that got to do with sarsaparilla? There is a thread about rag and bone men/yards.

I think there is a tenuous link in that the alley behind the Abbeydale Road sarsaparilla bar led down to a rag and bone yard on Broadfield Road. Not sure if it was the same one because I can remember two.

pkljihhklpjjjjjkl

Edited by EdmundH

I think there is a tenuous link in that the alley behind the Abbeydale Road sarsaparilla bar led down to a rag and bone yard on Broadfield Road. Not sure if it was the same one because I can remember two.

Well said Parson6 jaffa do one.

About 50 years ago there used to be a drink shop that sold sasparilla at firth park, we used to sit there for hours, it was like a sort of pub for under 18s but of course there was never any danger of anybody getting drunk.

I think the proprietors were a family called Norris, nice people.

That was in the old days when firth park was a friendly and closely knit community.

I've heard it's a bit different nowadays.

There was one on FP Rd , one on Bellhouse Rd in the shops higher up from the the Co-op and one on Rushby St at Page Hell. 1950s early 60s..........